Quiz integrity and questions handling

Quiz integrity and questions handling

napisao/la Pierre Pichet -
Broj odgovora: 15

Quiz are used to grade students and the results as to be 100% certified. The questions should not changed and their results sould always be available. Actually there in no more "versioning" i.e the actual question used was stored. on Moodle, so to maintain the quiz integrity we could set the following constraint in question handling.

When a quiz is started and there is a first attempt from a student we should not allow any question changes.
    1. If there is an error, a new quiz should be composed so we need a quiz save as new function or at least an easy way to tranfer questions between the existing quiz and the new one.
    2. save as a new question should be the only option for any question already used in a quiz.
    3. We should not allow moving or deleting of questions if there is a random question in a category or a random as match.
    4. Cloze questions and other multiquestion types that have subquestions should be moved to other category with their subquestions so that their subquestions does not appears as old question, question used in a quiz if the user want to delete the category.
    5. the quesiton edit buttons in the quiz display should not appear after the quiz is started
    6. etc.

These constraints are easier to implement than the versioning and they could be merged to 1.9 giving more stability to this version.

Pierre

U odgovoru na Pierre Pichet

Re: Quiz integrity and questions handling

napisao/la Joseph Rézeau -
Slika Core developers Slika Particularly helpful Moodlers Slika Plugin developers Slika Testers Slika Translators
Pierre > When a quiz is started and there is a first attempt from a student we should not allow any question changes.

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree on this matter. This is related to a recurring discussion we are having in this forum about using quiz questions for learning purposes versus for testing purposes (see this discussion, this other one, etc...).

Since I only use the quiz module for self-evaluation and learning purposes, I need to be able to edit questions even after students have attempted quizzed, and ever more so after than beforewink. This is part of an iterative process of developing computer quizzes, where new versions of the questions are based on the students' actual responses. So for me any mechanism which would prevent me from editing questions actually used in a quiz from the moment students have started taking the quiz would ruin my teaching strategies and is out of the questionangry.

On the other hand I do understand Pierre's arguments, when quizzes are used solely or mainly for testing purposes. May I suggest the following solution: if a quiz's parameter Adaptive mode is ON, then it means that quiz will be used for learning purposes and teacher should be allowed to edit questions at any time; if adaptive mode is OFF then the quiz is being used for testing purposes and its "integrity" should be preserved.

Joseph

U odgovoru na Joseph Rézeau

napisao/la Jeff Forssell -
I find JRs suggestion excellent. (I belong to the same minoritysad).

I would like to go even further and even consider: when a test is in adaptive mode, even allow the addition of (a) new question(s) even if someone has done the "quiz". Now, one has to erase all results before being able to add new questions. It would be important in that case to have some NOTICE on the results page pointing out that the test has been changed after results were recorded. (This possibility might make the results page very difficult to createthoughtful, in which case, I drop my suggestion. But it was very frustrating before I found out how to be able to add questions at all. )
U odgovoru na Jeff Forssell

napisao/la Joseph Rézeau -
Slika Core developers Slika Particularly helpful Moodlers Slika Plugin developers Slika Testers Slika Translators
Jeff > " I find JRs suggestion excellent. (I belong to the same minoritysad)."

Hello, "minority brother".kiss

I would not go as far as asking for the feasibility to add a question to a quiz currently open and being taken by the students. As you say it might ruin the results page.

Joseph

U odgovoru na Jeff Forssell

napisao/la Tony Gardner-Medwin -
Slika Particularly helpful Moodlers Slika Plugin developers
Hear! Hear! - Jeff. Online self-tests will surely progressively become much more important than summative tests. If we are a minority, we shouldn't be. Nothing should be compromised in making tests efficient as learning tools: interesting, flexible, editable, challenging, immediately interactive, under student control, with information transfer student->student, teacher->student, student->teacher. Moodle should lead the way in this. If this requires having an "exam" option that shuts off loads of good features for legal/security reasons, so be it. But Moodle was not conceived as an exam tool!
U odgovoru na Tony Gardner-Medwin

"But Moodle was not conceived as an exam tool!"

Moodle was conceived for every aspects of e-learning including exams...

Pierre

P.S. So my proposal for two quiz types as they are mutually exclusive on the allowed modifications when they are used (attempted) by the students.
You cannot switch back and forth from one type (exam) to the other(learning tool).
U odgovoru na Joseph Rézeau

On a legal viewpoint or ethical viewpoint you cannot alter a quiz content if it is used for grading.
Perhaps we need two distinct quizz types the regular one and one more or less with a lesson status that can satisfy you needs

Pierre

napisao/la Tim Hunt -
Slika Core developers Slika Documentation writers Slika Particularly helpful Moodlers Slika Peer reviewers Slika Plugin developers
I think that the requirements are actually much more complicated that Pierre's list, as can be seen by the response. What is good for some sorts of quiz is not good for others, and Moodle should be capable of supporting all educational uses of quizzes. What we currently have, while a bit haphazard, is actually quite a good compromise, so I would rather not start changing things until we have worked out a really good plan, then we should change it once and for all.

(I'm going to make some other point too, but to ease following discussions, I will put them in separate posts.)

Re: Quiz and question integrity: what the OU is doing using 1.9

napisao/la Tim Hunt -
Slika Core developers Slika Documentation writers Slika Particularly helpful Moodlers Slika Peer reviewers Slika Plugin developers
Actually, with the tools available in Moodle 1.9, and the right processes around the production of deployment of quizzes, you can do a lot. Here is what we are planning to do for high-stakes quizzes at the OU (or exams and assessment department have been involved in developing this, and they are hard people to satisfy).

1. There will be a formal process to manage the production of high-stakes quizzes. We even have a workflow block (one day we will will get around to putting it into contrib) that we will use to help manage this process. In our block, a workflow is a sequence of tasks, someone is responsible for doing each one, and when they have finished a task, the system emails the person responsible for the next task to tell them it is now their turn.

2. Using the new question bank, which lets you have questions an categories private to one particular quiz, we will have a rule that a high-stakes quiz can only use questions from that quizzes private bank. (This has to be checked manually - at least at the moment.) This is because ...

3. Once the quiz and been created and tested, we will override all the roles on the quiz, to remove all the capabilities to edit all the questions belonging to the quiz, or change any of the quiz settings. (Again, this has to be done manually, at the moment.)

If you do all that, then actually you are very close to what Pierre is suggesting.

Actually, there is currently a bug that prevents 3. being done - that is MDL-11421. However, I am going to fix that soon if no one else does.

Re: Quiz and question integrity: what we do in OpenMark

napisao/la Tim Hunt -
(The third and final point I wanted to make.)

I want to explain how we decided to handle this in OpenMark, the other OU online assessment system. Just to remind you, OpenMark has been being used for high-stakes assessment since Autumn 2005, but it has also been used for formative quizzes, e.g. https://students.open.ac.uk/openmark/s205.ayrf/) Naturally, we have had a number of instances of faulty questions only being detected after the quiz went live to students, and what we originally implemented for question versioning has let us deal with each problem that has arisen, I am inclined to base whatever we do in Moodle on what is currently done in OpenMark.

(From this point on, I will refer to OpenMark as Om.)

In Om, questions are files on disc (actually, they are Java .jar files that also contain XML). They have a file name like ayrfs205.reactions.q01.1.3.jar. That should be broken down into two parts, the question id 'ayrfs205.reactions.q01' and the question version '1.3'. There is no good reason why the version numbers have two parts, it would work just as well if they were simple integers. Anyway, they are totally ordered, so 1.0 < 1.1 < 1.2 < ... < 1.9 < 1.10 < 1.11 < ... < 1.100 < ... < 2.0, etc.<%1%0%>
An Om test (or word for quiz) is defined as a list of question ids, so for example, ayrfs205.elements.q01, ayrfs205.elements.q02, ..., ayrfs205.reactions.q01, ayrfs205.reactions.q02, ... (The definition is actually stored in an XML file on disc.) Once a student has attempted the quiz, you are not allowed to edit the test definition file.

When a student first sees a particular question as part of a quiz attempt (Om tests are one question per page, so this may be some time after the attempt starts, it is the time the student first navigates to that page) the system looks to find the latest version of that question, and then records which version of the question this student received as part of this attempt. Then, for the remainder of that attempt, and forever afterwards (for example when a teacher reviews the attempt) the same version of the question is used.

This 'once you have started, you always get exactly the same version' is very important for Om, because some of our questions are highly adaptive. For example, imagine a Cloze questions which starts of with shortanswer boxes, but if a student answer incorrectly in one box twice, it gets replaced with a dropdown menu with restricted options. Obviously, that only works if you can replay the exact sequence of interactions that the student had with the question. If not, the sequence of responses stored for that student in the database might no longer match the options available in the question they saw.

Anyway, this lets up update a faulty question in a formative quiz, and any students who do it after the update see the repaired question.

The only other thing you can change in Om is the weight of each question, used when calculating the overall score. This can be changed later, so when a faulty question is found in a summative test, then, unless it is something trivial like a spelling error which will have disadvantaged students who got the bad question, we don't change the question, we just zero-weight that question so that it does not contribute to the final score.

(In Om, for summative tests, we normally don't show students their score until after the close date, so they are not aware their score 'changed'.)

The one thing that this set-up does not let you do is change a question to have an answer that used to be marked wrong now be considered correct, and then re-grade the quiz. That is a useful feature in Moodle (at least for non-adaptive quizzes), and one we would need to retain.
U odgovoru na Tim Hunt

"The one thing that this set-up does not let you do is change a question to have an answer that used to be marked wrong now be considered correct, and then re-grade the quiz. That is a useful feature in Moodle (at least for non-adaptive quizzes), and one we would need to retain."

I agree but then we should have a special mechanism that controls which question part have been changed i.e normally only the answer field.
However, we cannot define easily the fields that controls the grading mechanism of all the actual question types and even more for all new plug-in types.
For example if you change the answer formula in a calculated question type you can drop some {xx} parameters.
A simple way to do this, can be to only allow save as a new question (i.e manual versioning) and a mechanism that recalculates with the newer question.
If there is any problem, the teacher (or other peoples implied in the quiz evaluation) can go back to the original one.

Pierre

P.S. A new question version is not a simple thing to set for every question types.

Additional comments:
If your question use reference to external elements like files (i.e. images), we need to copy the files so that they could not be changed even in the initial question.
Or exclude some question types from those "certified" quizzes.
Pierre

P.S. another example is that calculated questions could not use category shared parameters as they can be modified by another question.

napisao/la Tim Hunt -
Our question files do contain absolutely everything to do with the question. (A Java .jar file is basically a zip file containing some Java .class files, an XML manifest, and any other files you like). So in Om, each version of a question is actually a complete copy of the whole question.

To use this scheme in Moodle, we would have to copy everything else associated with a question when a new version of the question was stored, and that is hard.

Also, in Om, questions are developed elsewhere, and only deployed to the live servers when they are thought to be 'finished', so the number of versions we have to store is quite small. In Moodle, people develop and experiment, and then run the live test all on the same server. That would require storing many more versions, or being more intelligent about what we store.

However, Moodle does have a controlled re-grade mechanism. Well, it is not controlled yet, but it will be (http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Quiz_report_enhancements#Improvements_to_the_Regrade_report). That proposed interface could be further enhanced to cope with question versioning when the time comes.
U odgovoru na Tim Hunt

Your proposal is to use a specific category to store the questions for a quiz so that we can control the access once the quiz is ready.
We could also create a specific directory to store the files necessary for the quiz questions.
Given the Moodle structure, is creating a course for the quiz could not be the simplest way to achieve the necessary controls?
This is somehow similar to using another server.

Pierre
U odgovoru na Tim Hunt

Re: Quiz and question integrity: modifying the answers

"The one thing that this set-up does not let you do is change a question to have an answer that used to be marked wrong now be considered correct, and then re-grade the quiz. That is a useful feature in Moodle (at least for non-adaptive quizzes), and one we would need to retain."

However this does not apply well to every question types.

For short answer or numerical question types, if you change the answers or the grading value, you just change the resulting grade.
For multiple choice or match if you change the answers, you change the question display. Should we continue to allow teachers to change those question types or just offer the save as a new question if the answers text has been modified?

Pierre

P.S. I am planning an improved multianswer (cloze) editing interface that will enligthen the diffs between the stored question and the modifications done .

Re:An automatic warning if the question has been modified

Although teachers are more or less responsible for their courses contents and can even add new question types, Moodle.org is responsible for the actual core question types.
The Moodle responsibility extends also to the students using Moodle quizzes for their grading.

I propose that at least we add an automatic warning message when the students review their question results if the question has been modified since their attempts has been done (or closed).
We left to the teacher to add an explanation of the question modifications purposes ( in the question text or as a general comment on the course site).

Pierre

P.S. This could be extend to all questiion types or only to the actual core question types.