Moodle 1.9 Quiz Chain Problem

Moodle 1.9 Quiz Chain Problem

by Mark Callagher -
Number of replies: 10

Hi I am having problems with quiz chain sequencing in new Moodle 1.9 having successfully used Quiz Chain in Moodle 1.8 as follows:

• a handful of quizzes sequenced with all hidden except the first one
  • Quiz chain updated to "Yes"
  • Show next quiz set to "Yes"

What happens is that the students only see the one HotPot quiz but once completed it moves them onto the next hidden quizzes in the sequence etc.

My problem with 1.9 is that when a student does the first quiz it will not sequence through to the others "because they are hidden"

This is a big issue for me as I have sometimes up to 8 different quizzes and I do not want them all visible to the students on the front page of the course site.....Can anyone help me fix this new problem please???

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Callagher

Re: Moodle 1.9 Quiz Chain Problem

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Oh dear, it's not meant to work like that. I'll look into it.
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Mark Callagher -
Thanks Gordon, much appreciated.

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Mark,

I made a little quiz chain of 5 quizzes on my Moodle 1.9 site and that seemed to work all right. That it is to say, when I finished one quiz, I was automatically taken to the next quiz.

You can have look for yourself if you like:
If you could test your quiz chain on the above site, that would help us isolate whether the problem is with the HotPot module, the quizzes, or the server.

Otherwise, if you could give me access to your Moodle site I could come and have a look over there.

regards
Gordon

by Mark Callagher -

Hi Gordon.

Your site would not allow me to log in as Guest Teacher.

I forgot to mention when testing that yes the chain works for a teacher even with the rest of the chain of quizzes hidden BUT NOT for a student. Did you test it as a student??

I tried logging in but kept saying invalid login. Also a certificate error was given for your site.

by Gordon Bateson -
sorry - an absent-minded slip on my part - blush

The username is "guestteacher" (one-word, all lower case).

I will try the chain as a student and see what happens.

cheers
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
Hello again Mark,

I confirmed the problem you reported of student's not being able to access "hidden" HotPots that are in the tail of a HotPot chain Moodle 1.9. I think the problem also affects Moodle 1.8.

The cause of the problem was that the "require_login" function now does stricter checks than it did in Moodle 1.7 and earlier, so the "hack" to allow hidden HotPots to form a chain stopped working.

However, I have a found a workaround - wide eyes - and applied it to Moodle 1.9. You should be able to download the new scripts from the Moodle downloads page (or Moodle CVS) within the next 24 hours.

If you are in a hurry, you may be able to download them from here:
When you are able, please could you confirm that the new scripts fix the problem for you.

many thanks reporting this problem
Gordon

P.S. Moodle 1.8 users, I have added a similar fix for the Moodle 1.8 HotPot, so please update your site (from Moodle downloads or CVS) next time your are able. If you just want the HotPot module, you may be able to get it from the link below:

by Yvonne Schneider -
Hello,

I'm using Moodle 1.9.7 (Build 20100113) and have the same problem as mentioned above. When I create a HotPotatoes Chain the student role isn't allowed to view the following Quizes because they are hidden.
I have read there, that the problem should have been fixed in 2008 and wondered whether I have made a setting to prevent this solution.
How does it work with the answering of the hidden quizes?

Thank you for your answer

Yvonne
In reply to Yvonne Schneider

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Yvonne,
thanks for reporting this. I get the same thing on my Moodle 1.9 site. Access is being blocked by the "require_capability()" function.

I will look into it and let you know if and when it can be fixed.

regards
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
Hello again Yvonne,
it turned out to be a simple fix, so I have gone ahead and fixed it.

The modified scripts for Moodle 1.7, 1.8, 1.9 and HEAD (which will be Moodle 2.0) will be available form the Moodle downloads page and the Moodle CVS repository in due course (usually takes a couple of days).

If you are in a desperate hurry, you can download the modified scripts from my server *now* wide eyes
many thanks for bringing this issue to my attention approve

best regards
Gordon

by Yvonne Schneider -
Hello Gordon,

you're fantastic!
That was a very fast solution. I'm wondering whether you are only answering the questions and solving the problems here in this Forum all day long breit grinsend

Thank you very much
(Your Moodle Fan) Yvonne