What should I talk about at the San Francisco MoodleMoot

What should I talk about at the San Francisco MoodleMoot

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 10
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I am hoping to go to this Moot in June, and presumably people will want to hear me talk about the quiz. However, I have given several talks about the Moodle quiz over the last few years, and am running out of things to say. Well, I could just give yet another "Recent developments in the quiz module" talk, there is plenty to say there, of course.

However, lack of inspiration has encouraged me to turn to Moodle's social constructionist pedagogy. So I ask you: what would you like to hear me talk about at this Moot? Thanks.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: What should I talk about at the San Francisco MoodleMoot

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Tim "... and am running out of things to say."
I can't believe that.wink
Joseph
In reply to Tim Hunt

by A. T. Wyatt -
I probably won't make it to San Francisco, but on the off chance there will be delayed/remote webcasts, I would like to hear about some new and existing statistical analysis tools for the system. It seems to me that you have done some work (see plugins and modules database!) on helpful queries that assist admins in quantifying system use. These things are extremely helpful when tracking progress, preparing for change, or evaluating the success/failure of innovations.

The whole process of establishing benchmarks and collecting data for a longitudinal analysis of system use (by students, by faculty, as well as hardware/performance) should be enlightening.

I hope you will consider such a topic.

atw

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tony Gardner-Medwin -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
It would maybe be really useful and constructive to take a step back from Moodle and do a systematic comparison of features, strengths and weaknesses in Moodle, compared with other systems and when used in different ways.
In reply to Tony Gardner-Medwin

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Well, I would certainly be interested in listening to such a talk, but I don't think I am the best person to give one. I hardly every look at other assessment systems, and exploring other systems is not the sort of thing that interests me. I seem to have secret Luddite tenancies, and like to stick with technologies I am familiar with.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Pierre Pichet -
Sorry, I won't be there and will use the e-learning facilities to follow it.

However, your role as the quiz leader lets you identify the general trends of quiz development.
  • What new question types that could be created following
    • how internet increase our access to knowledge ( google map, google star atlas, YouTube.
    • how applets allow to display new data (music, video, chemical structure etc.).
  • How the student can answer in new ways
    • by submitting the same kind of new data available (music, video, chemical structure etc.).
    • by giving a response that can only be find using a complex google search?
    • by having a more versatile multichoice or match question types?
  • How these answers can be graded
    • is manual grading the only issue with new question types?
    • are there articicial intelligence developments that could be usefull for language tests ?
Can these trends be identified from proposals in the Moodle quiz forum? or elsewhere?
Quiz are mostly used to grade the student knowledge, however giving to the student a question creator role using the new interface build by Jamie Pratt open new possiblities.

And there is the question : how to implement these new ideas in Moodle?
How the contrib development can help to achieve the goal of 100% bug free code necessary to grade students ?
On what time scale?
Etc.

Pierre

P.S. I remember a remark you made some years before that the moodlers at a U.S. west coast Moodle Moot were more interested in the Moodle learning process than on the underlying code.
So you put yourself aside and solve moodle bugs on your portable computer.
I don't think that this will be the case this year...
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Hi Tim, if you could cover some of the following topics in the SF moot, that would be great!

1. Did OU run into any moodle quiz scalability issues in the past, and if so, what were your resolutions? What are the current quiz usage patterns in the OU moodle installation? Also I will be interested to know more about how big is your mdl_quiz_attempts and mdl_question_states table, and what DB/DB storage engine OU is using (and maybe some tuning tips), etc.

2. Is there a plan for improving quiz scalability issues in the future (for really large site and high number of concurrent users, especially during midterm or final exam periods)? If so, what is the plan?

3. Does OU has a software QA team to QA the quiz module, and if so, what is your current workflow (or process, etc.) and what tools you are using?

4. And (or), of course, a more in-depth discussion about the quiz report enhancement that will be included in Moodle 2.0.

Thanks! smile
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

by Tim Hunt -
Thank you. Helpful ideas. I'll bear them in mind as I write my talk. Although, the session is only 50 minutes!

You might like to know that I am flying out to San Francisco on 31st May, to have a week of holiday before the Moot. If any SF Moodlers want to meet up during that time, just let me know.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Wen Hao Chuang -
That is great! I will be happy to serve as a "local host / tour guide" if this is your first time visiting SF! Would love to take you out for lunch/dinner too (my treat!). Last time our team had a great conversation/lunch with Penny Leach when she was visiting here (on her way to OSCON 2007 conference). I'll IM you with my work/mobile phone numbers. smile
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Mel Ausman -
Why would there be a MoodleMoot during the last week of school during the day so local educators can't go? Couldn't you have waited a week. Didn't you want the local teachers to go? I so wanted to go to this.
In reply to Mel Ausman

by Tim Hunt -
This is something you will have to take up with the Moot organisers (http://moodlemoot.org/course/view.php?id=6). I suspect that there were multiple considerations when choosing the date, and they could not find one that would make everyone happy.

Is there no way for you to get out of school for a couple of days?