We have been using 1.9 beta4 for a month and very impressed with its speed and stability. I see no reason to hang onto 1.8 for another semester. This is the first Moodle release to go through 5 months of beta testing with features frozen to work out bugs. In the past, one month was the norm. So many of you with those memories may think the buggy stable releases are a reason to continue with old versions. That is incorrect this time.
Also consider the new question engine which improves...
- categories shared across the site
- linking to media files
- use of questions in many kinds of modules
- Self-study/Question-making Module by Hakodate Future University
- Project Course Format by Sapporo Gakuin University
- Project Module by Sapporo Gakuin University