linking between wikis

linking between wikis

by trish sutherland -
Number of replies: 6

Hi, Is it possible at all to link  from one wiki to another, within the same course?

cheers

Average of ratings: -
In reply to trish sutherland

Re: linking between wikis

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Interesting idea!

it could be something like the "interwiki" syntax (following mediawiki rules):

:Name of the target wiki activity:Page to link there

I would suggest you to add your idea to the Tracker.

Also, note that you can enable the "wiki filter" (Admin->modules->filters). That will provide your site with automatic linking to any wiki page in the course (but not only between wikis but from everything to wikis).

Ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Eric Carlson -
""Also, note that you can enable the "wiki filter" (Admin->modules->filters). That will provide your site with automatic linking to any wiki page in the course (but not only between wikis but from everything to wikis).""

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!

My site has been moving at a crawl for a few weeks since I set up a bunch of group wikis in one course. I disabled the automatic wiki page linking and the automatic resource linking (neither of which was particularly useful for my course) and, voilà, site is tolerable again. This give me a little breathing room to at least test my upgrade to 1.9 from current 1.8 before I deploy.

Cheers and many many many many thanks,
Eric Carlson

In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Dmitry Pupinin -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Many many time ago I have developed tool for including wiki page in any other Moodle resources.

Details here:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=42325

But in NWiki this became impossible because rendering page outside wiki module became very difficult!
I dream that in official Moodle's wiki this will once again become possible!
In reply to Dmitry Pupinin

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yup, agree, Dmitry.

I really hope to have the "wiki format" available again for 2.0. I really think that, with the new wiki module arriving and its "mediwiki parser" available... it could be reintroduced. "Just" needs some good "isolation" of parsing within the module to be reused as a Moodle format.

Only in the wish-list for now, but interesting IMO.Yes

Ciao smile

In reply to trish sutherland

by Nigel Metcalfe -
Hi,
not certain if this is exactly what you want to do, but I use the insert weblink option to jump from one wiki to another within the same couse.
Simply copy the URL of the page you want to jump to and create web link to it in the wiki you want to junp from. Then paste the url into the web link dialogue and select target: new window.
By selecting the target as new window you keep your original wiki open and open a new tab for the wiki you are jumping to. That way you can always return to your original wikismile

Hope this helps
Regards,

Nigel
In reply to Nigel Metcalfe

by Jestin VanScoyoc -
This would be very nice indeed (see http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=82764 for Ludo's discussion)

I've got a feeling Ludo's team is busy right now trying to make it into the core for 2.0 -- let's hope they do!

I've also used Nigel's web link trick and it works. Its cumbersome though and only practical for an occasional cross link.

Jestin