General help

Picture of Martin Kucek
Move/Copy/Duplicate resources and activities between different courses

Is it possible to copy/move resources and activities between different courses? For example, I want to have the same quiz in 3 other courses. Can I copy/duplicate the quiz to different courses?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
Picture of A. T. Wyatt
Re: Move/Copy/Duplicate resources and activities between different courses

Greetings, Martin!

I think you might look into the "restore" option.
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Backup_restore#Restore

You can selectively pull information from one course to another. If you are an instructor, I believe you need to be an instructor of both courses. If you are an admin, then you can probably pull from any course.

atw

Picture of Martin Kucek

Hi there!

Thanks for reply. I will look at it. I am the admin, but it seems to be quite complicated for an instructor to do that. I was hoping there would be a simple button (something like the move button) or an option to select resources/activities and then by a simple click copy them to a different course.

Also, is there an option in Moodle to set monitoring so I can see the overall activity of Moodle of the entire school?

Thanks,
Martin

Picture of A. T. Wyatt

I would say that once your instructors get used to it, it isn't terribly hard to use import. The key is a) you select the right things and b) understand that the import will put them into the same topic number in the receiving course. At least that is how it works in 1.8!

You can see the overall moodle activity by using the admin statistics packages. You must turn them on and they should run every night or at the hour you specify. For more granular activity monitoring, you might have to run your own queries. We are usually pretty content with the built in reports.

atw

Picture of Gerry Lerner

Thanks for starting this thread. I've stored a lot of prepared activities in a course called "storeroom" so that other teachers can copy/import materials to their own courses. This works fine except with hotpot. The problem is that each HP has its attached file and therefore we've had to select import course files as well. Is there a way to selectively import the needed course files and not import the lot?

Clif

I created a quiz for one topic of a course. Since this course has 13 topics, I wanted to duplicate that quiz, prior to adding the questions, for the other 12 topics. This would save me from having to set the options, feedback, etc, 13 times. It doesn't look like I can do that though, unless I'm missing something?

Picture of A. T. Wyatt

Greetings, Clifton!

So far as I know, we still do not have a "duplicate" function. You can get duplicates if you import something more than once from another course (which might be a copy of the course you have now). But be careful to change the names of the assignments. Sometimes the gradebook (at least 1.8 and prior) had a problem if there were too many grade entries with identical titles.

You might try it, anyway, in an empty course where it doesn't matter.

atw

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Clif

thanks atw, I'll try that. Gerry's suggestion to keep a storeroom is a good one too.

Picture of Griselle Figueroa

Martin:

This is the same question I had while I was working on my course. There are several resources that I would like to duplicate to other sections of the course and moreover to other courses that I teach.

I was looking desperately for a button that would help me copy a resource and use it somewhere else.

For example I have my class set up by topics. Each topic is an unit and inside each unit I have the Lessons posted. I create a Label for each lesson title and objectives. I want to keep the same format (ex. font size, color and attributes). It is much easier for me to copy the label resource and just change the topic name, but it seems that we don't have that feature quite yet.

I have read all the responses to your questions, and they seem to be so difficult and don't give an easy way to do this.

I hope that moodle designers could read my message and yours and they can come up with an easy way of copying resources in moodle.

Have a great moodling experience!!

Picture of Matt Gibson relaxing in the Alps

There is a project in the works - the sharing cart block, which is an extension to the project course format developed by Don Hinkelman that will do just this. It's still in development but the code I tested on Thursday was almost ready. Discussion is here.