add block to every course

add block to every course

by Greg Rodenhiser -
Number of replies: 7
Is there a way to add a block to every course in Moodle (ones that already exist). I know I can edit config.php (or the course type config.php) and add the block in:

$CFG->defaultblocks_social =

But this only seems to affect courses as they're created, not existing ones. I know I could do sticky block but I have two problems with this:

1.) Quickmail does not work via sticky block (it simply doesn't show up in the course once you add it via the admin pane. The site administrator can see it in the courses, but not the instructors.

2.) Once a block is sticky, course instructors cannot move/remove it. We would still prefer they could do that if they don't want it.

Thanks in advance!!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Greg Rodenhiser

Re: add block to every course

by Ellen Marie Murphy -
I don't have an answer for you, but you did for mesmile I added a quickmail sticky block, and instructors can't see it (I can). I tried searching the forums for an answer, but I guess that's just the way it is. I hope, though, that someone has a better answer than that.
In reply to Ellen Marie Murphy

by Ger Tielemans -

Testing Quickmail with 1.6 and 1.9, I see that Quickmail works with sticky blocks. I think that one of your other additional blocks gives problems (and blocks the appearance of quickmail. I recognise that from my own experiences.)

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Ellen Marie Murphy -
Hi Ger,

Actually, quickmail is the only sticky block I added to our courses. I could see it and use it, but teachers couldn't see it. We are using 1.8

thanks,
Ellen

by Caroline Moore -
I am having this same issue (Quickmail, when made "sticky," does not show up for non-admins) in both 1.8.3 and 1.9.1.

I've come up with a fix - it's inelegant, but it works. I've posted it in the Tracker I created for this issue (see below).

Votes and any additional info you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-558
In reply to Caroline Moore

by Anne Carmichael -
Thanks for a prompt response. The jargon is beyond me, however, and I am still at a loss to install Quickmail (downloaded zip file which mentions 1.5) into my 1.9 newly set up.

by Greg Rodenhiser -
Did you ever get a response by chance? I'm trying the latest Quickmail for large classes on Moodle 1.9+ (no other blocks are installed aside from the default Moodle ones). If I make Quickmail a sticky block it will show up in courses and the instructor can use it, BUT the instructor cannot allow it's use for students via the setting link in the block. The setting simply doesn't save (and thus students can't see the block). I've even tried granting the student role access to the block via Moodle's role system, this still does not work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

by Jaymin Limbachiya -

HI,

I am also tried to develop new block. when i will success. i am infor ro here.