Admin cannot edit language strings

Admin cannot edit language strings

by Caroline Moore -
Number of replies: 6
I am running Moodle 1.8.3 (Linux, Apache, MySQL) on both my production server and my test server. When logged in as an admin, I can edit the language strings on my production server, but not on my test server.

When I click on Admin/Languages/Language editing/Edit words or phrases, Moodle does not show any editable text boxes in the right column, nor does it show any "Save Changes" buttons. Instead, it shows the same static string in both the left and right columns.

I have tried logging in with two different administrator accounts, but I experience the same problem.

I'm hoping there is a simple solution to this problem that I am just not seeing! Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks,
~Caroline
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Caroline Moore

Re: Admin cannot edit language strings

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Caroline,

You have to adjust the write permissions on the moodledata folder of your Moodle on your test server. Just make sure the web server can write to the lang folder.

Good luck!
In reply to Nicolas Martignoni

by Caroline Moore -
Hi Nicolas,

I do have write permissions to the moodledata folder, otherwise I would be seeing many other problems! Just to be sure, I tweaked the permissions on the moodledata/lang folder so that they exactly match those on my production server, and it's still not working. (The group ownership was different, which shouldn't - and didn't - make any difference.)

Thanks for the suggestion, though! Is there anything else I should double-check?

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Caroline,

can you please attach a screenshot of the lang.php screen at the test server? Are you using Moodle 1.8 or 1.9?
In reply to David Mudrák

by Caroline Moore -
Hi David,

Both servers are running 1.8.3. Here is a screenshot:

Language File - Not Editable

Note the (unresolved) heading at the top - langnoeditenglish. It says "no edit" right there; I just can't figure out how to turn editing on.

Thanks for your help!

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Aha, it seems to be quite clear from the screenshot now wide eyes. You have selected English language for your interface and editing English master language package through the web has always been prohibited. If you want to translate Moodle into a non-English language, change the UI language (at the Moodle home page, for example) to that language. If you want to modify official English translation, switch the lang.php into the "_local" mode (there is a button for changing the mode in 1.8.3). See Translation docs page for more info about *_local packs.

If you mean translating seriously, I would recommend to run a 1.9 installation as the lang tool has been improved in several ways (e.g. in translating additional plugins).

Hope this helps.

p.s. the string langnoeditenglish should be displayed as "'Can't overwrite the base English language pack. Please switch lang directory to make local changes". There is something strange in your installation thoughtful

by tsukareta desu -
maybe you should reinstall your Moodle test... have you tried?