1.8.2 vs 1.8.4 - database differences?

1.8.2 vs 1.8.4 - database differences?

by C L Newbill -
Number of replies: 3
We just moved our Moodle setup to a new server and webhost. The old host was running 1.8.2, while the new one has 1.8.4.

I tried to run the upgrade module and got a 500 Server error.

The whole point of this exercise was to fix a double posting problem in the forums. Can anyone suggest what's going on and/or how to fix it?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to C L Newbill

Re: 1.8.2 vs 1.8.4 - database differences?

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
My first guess would be a permission issue. Which host are you using? What type of environment? Peace - Anthony
In reply to C L Newbill

by Chick Beckley -
While I'm not our server or database expert, I do know that upgrade numbers indicate the degree of changes to the code. For instance, major changes to the code that affect things like database tables and functionality are designated by new second decimal numbers - ie. 1.7 to 1.8.

Minor changes, such as security patches and others that don't really affect the functionality of Moodle receive a new third decimal number - ie. 1.8.2 to 1.8.4.

Therefore, I agree with Anthony, that the issues you are experiencing are most likely tied to server issues - permissions for reading and writing to the database or the path to MySql.

I would suggest looking at the server issues first. I would bet a round of beverages for the Moodle Guiness Group wink that your issue will be resolved there.

- Chick Beckley
In reply to Chick Beckley

by C L Newbill -
Thanks... I'll check those. It was a Fantastico install so I didn't consider it as a possibility.