Cohort-based learning model

Cohort-based learning model

by George Kao -
Number of replies: 2

Hi all,

First of all, apologies if this has already been answered here...

My school www.PresidioWorldCollege.org uses a cohort-based model.  That is, there may be 300 students per graduating class, but about 25 are placed into each cohort.  A cohort takes classes together.  We utilize online forums a lot, currently using Blackboard which sucks.

My question:

Can the Groups module easily separate:

1. Cohorts (let's say 2 cohorts are both taking an Accounting class so they share some of the same material, but must have separate forums for themselves.) 

2. Classes (let's say we have 2 years/grades, freshman and seniors, and multiple cohorts in each.)  We need to have an entire year/grade (with multiple cohorts) share certain forums together that the other grade cannot access.

Basically I'm asking how sophisticated the Groups module is when it comes to cross-categorizing individuals to be part of separate groups. 

Our school is also considering WebCrossing as a learning platform.  Webcrossing seems to have very sophisticated permissions/groups features.  So far, we like the feel of Moodle better.  However, the permissions/groups feature is so essential to our learning model that it's a "make or break" deal for us.

Any thoughts/advice? 

Thank you!

George

p.s. I'm making the recommendation to the committee in two days.  (choosing between WebCrossing and Moodle.  A similar program to ours, www.bgiedu.org - decided to go with WebCrossing even though they liked Moodle.)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to George Kao

Re: Cohort-based learning model

by Gustav W Delius -
Hi George,

what you need can easily be done in Moodle:

1. Cohorts: Within each course you would create separate groups, one for each cohort. Then you can set up the forums in separate group mode so that students can only see the posts from their cohort.

2. Classes: For each class you would create an additional "course" on Moodle in which all students from that class are enrolled. All forums specific to that class then are placed into this course.

In practice you would probably write a little PHP script to create the necessary courses and groups, it would be a bit tedious to enroll all the students by hand.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gustav W Delius

Re: Cohort-based learning model

by George Kao -

Hi Gustav,

Our school has now chosen Moodle (yay!)  However, the issue of Groups again arises...

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=11049

You mentioned in your post that a little PHP could be written as a possible solution.  Could you elaborate?

Thanks!

By the way, we have set up a course that serves as a "community" check-in point, with separate cohorts as groups.  The issue is, in some courses, there are not only separate cohorts, but also study groups within each cohort... Any suggestions?