1.9beta4 suggestions and ideas

1.9beta4 suggestions and ideas

by Lael ... -
Number of replies: 5

These are notes from using 1.9beta4 in a course. (2007101508).

Grader Report

• When a grade is changed it defaults to over-ridden, which means in the assignment view it can not be changed. The comment in the ‘view assignment submissions’ also changes to have only the first few words visible, rather than showing the entire comment. I feel like the default action should be to leave it editable (I guess I think people will more frequently desire to edit quickly than ‘lock’ a grade), and allow the person to go into the options to ‘lock’ it if that is what is needed.

• In 1.8 it was possible to ‘reprint headers’ every ‘x’ students. Whilst doing this complete with categories would take too much space – allowing the option to reprint the assignment titles would be a great help

• Would it be possible to reprint the “Save all changes” at the top as well as the bottom of the report? (or even with the reprinted headers)

• When adding a comment in the quick feedback box (still in grader report), it is not possible to add a line break – could Ctrl+Enter be assigned to do this?

• It would be great if comments automatically inserted Date & Time when the grader went to add a comment – this would be particularly useful for adding further comment or circular feedback on existing submissions.

Set Categories & Grades

• In trying to set up the gradebook to echo some of the features of the 1.8 gradebook, I was wondering whether there might be a faster way of organising and setting categories?

• Retain indented structure to show parent categories

• For each grade item have a drop-down list to choose its parent category (save button at bottom)

• At the left of each category print the %age that the category contributes to its parent (for weighted items)

• It also seems difficult to set up a category to show more than one of: points, percent, weighted percent, and letters (involves creating additional calculated fields?

• At the right? (in a column?) Of each category have an option box to allow the category to print: letter grade/ points / %age / weighted %age. This is important… because at the moment it seems that if you want to display points and weighted %age – you have to create additional categories, rather than selecting an option?

User Grade Report

• Categories need to show indenting to give a sense of parent categories.

• Students need to be able to see the assigned % weighting for each category

• Would be great for student to be able to see grades sorted by date as well (due) (can be done in a different view/ report?)

• Need to be able to choose whether to (optionally) display points, weighted % , or percentage – or a combination of the three( weighted % contribution to total grade vs parent category is an issue for setups with categories within categories)

Summary of ‘Assignments’ (course page>> resource types block>> assignments) from a student’s view in 1.8 showed the mark over what it was out of eg:36/40. It now shows only the mark received eg:36

Additional feature requests that would be cool…

• Conditional formatting of marks based on grade (eg: green for A, blue for B, yellow for C and Red for below that)

• Be able to set up categories based on dates rather than a ‘standard’ category, and be able to set these at a site level (eg: setting up terms / quarters / semesters would be very helpful for any institution with fixed semesters).

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lael ...

Re: 1.9beta4 suggestions and ideas

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thanks very much for the valuable feedback.

This kind of big list is difficult to work with though ... could I ask that you file individual issues in the Moodle tracker and we can then discuss/vote on each new feature (or bug, perhaps)?
In reply to Lael ...

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Lael, if you are a bit new to moodle tracker, please read this page first:

http://docs.moodle.org/en/How_to_write_a_good_bug_report

Please let me know if you need some assistance (to put all these issues into moodle tracker). Thanks!
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

by Lael ... -
Thanks Martin and Wen - I will enter everything into tracker tomorrow.

I realised when I wrote it that it might be better in tracker - but wasn't sure if that was the place where discussion would go on smile

Thanks for continuing to make a great system!
In reply to Lael ...

by Lael ... -
sorry - got caught up with a few things. Now entered. Hopefully the descriptions etc are clear and concise.
In reply to Lael ...

by Derek Chirnside -
"In 1.8 it was possible to ‘reprint headers’ every ‘x’ students. Whilst doing this complete with categories would take too much space – allowing the option to reprint the assignment titles would be a great help"

I've just realised the reprint headers option is not there any more. A bit of acrimony today (How can you expect people to grade lots of students with no fixed column headers like we are used to (in Bb)).

Two questions:

1) I've commented here: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-13771
Is it possible to (easily) create a floating header??
But: as Lael says, even assignment titles would be enough.

What do others think??

2) OR: Is there a workaround (as currently setup, without reprinted headers) to enable a grade inputter to not loose track of what columns they are entering in??

Cheers

-Derek