global attendance: suggestion for a new feature

global attendance: suggestion for a new feature

by Shin Okada -
Number of replies: 27
I'd like to see global attendance of students. This means that I can see a total attendance of my mentees (my form class) of all other classes as well for a future version.

Where can I suggest this?

Or I need to ask Dmitry Pupinin?

What other people think about this?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Shin Okada

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

Re: global attendance: suggestion for a new feature

by Dmitry Pupinin -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
OK. I has remembered this suggestion... wink
But you said about different things.
Where it should be implemented? On student or teacher view? Or both?
In reply to Dmitry Pupinin

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Shin Okada -
Wow I am so exited that the ball started rolling and Mr Attendance, Dmitry is on board.big grin

I like Jim's idea overall. It will be great to have attendance for all the classes since my school(and I guess many other schools) needs to record all the absences for legal reason due to subsidy from government etc.

I installed the All My Grades (Gradebook Mod) last week.
http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=911
This will give students to see their overall assignments results in a page, but I found it needs a bit of interface improvement.

Then I thought we need a similar function for attendance as well.

Jim's ideas including a drop-down function will make it easier to use and powerful as well.

I just can't wait...wide eyes
In reply to Shin Okada

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
We just got a requirement from our Educational Affairs Office to provide a site-wide summary of all attendance for all courses. The intent is to monitor students with poor attendance and proactively contact them in some way to find out what problems or reasons exist.

So we have to make a report that extracts this data--especially absentee data--from multiple courses. If anyone has already done this, let us know. Otherwise we will try to program such a report pulling data from the Attendance Module tables.

Cheers, Don smile
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Don Hinkelman -
Hi Dimitry,
It appears the Attendance Module has no backup/restore function. Is that correct? If not, is it OK if we make that function along with a site-wide export? Thanks for any advice.
Cheers, Don smile

by Dmitry Pupinin -
Hi Don,
Yes. Backup/Restore not implemented yet. I'll be very glad if you make that and any other improvements!

by Don Hinkelman -
OK, Dmitry, we will start work on backup/restore and send that to you when we are done (2-4 weeks). By the way, we notice that the actual data in the MySQL tables is stored as "A" for absent or "P" for present. So when we export to excel, we will convert that to dates or "O" or "X".
Cheers,
Don

by Don Hinkelman -
Hi Dmitry,

We now have Backup/Restore ready for the Attendance Module (moodle vers. 1.8 and 1.9) ready to go. Could you tell us how to send it to you?

Thank you for coordinating all of this.

Cheers,
Don

by Don Hinkelman -
Hi Dmitry,

Did you have a chance to try the backup/restore scripts we sent you? Are they working OK?

Cheers,
Don

by Jason Hollowell -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Wow!!! Backup & Restore big grin

I created 180 courses this Spring and manually (partially) created the attendance mod in each course and then attendance settings in each course all through the database. At the time I thought backup and restore might be a better solution for me. The process of doing it through the database was a very good learning experience for me but....I'd like to give it a shot using backup and restore to see which is the most complicated.

Or, better yet, be able to provide a template course that teachers can generate their course from....

Anyway, I'm excited to soon see the backup/restore feature

...and even more excited to see the site wide attendance data feature. smile

Jason
In reply to Jason Hollowell

by Dmitry Pupinin -
Sorry for late answer...
I has updated files.
See here: http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=1062

PS: Gradebook from v1.9 don't works well yet... Sorry so much... Work in progress.

by Jason Hollowell -
Don & Dmitry,

Thanks a million! I just installed this new version on my development site (1.8.4+) and everything looks to be in order. I haven't experimented with it thoroughly yet but initially it looks to be ok.

I'm excited to work with it a little and see if it can help increase efficiency for us.

Thanks again.

And I'm anxiously awaiting the site wide attendance feature. smile

Jason

by Don Hinkelman -
...And I'm anxiously awaiting the site wide attendance feature.

We have finished the site-wide attendance block for administrators. But it is custom made for our school, which only wants to collect the number and dates of absences, not summarize all aspects of attendance. That may not be what you would like.

Also I am afraid our programmer had to rewrite the structure of the module in order to do the data summation. It is not a simple plug-in. Later, I will send it to Dmitry to see if he would like to use it or not. It works well in version 1.9.

Cheers, Don

by Jesús Martín -
Hi, Don and Dmitry.
I am awaiting the site wide attendance feature too. My aim is to use Moodle as a k-12 global system management and this feature is very important for us.

Thanks for your job.

by Dmitry Pupinin -
Thanks a lot Don! Yes
I promise that I'll test it quickly!

by tom markway -

What is the status of the site attendance report?

Tom Markway

In reply to tom markway

by Dmitry Pupinin -
I don't receive changes for site-wide feature from Don...

Don, could you send it once again if you did it in past? Thanks!

by Jason Hollowell -
Don,

Thanks. It sounds like something that would be useful as we would like to be able to quickly see aggregate attendance data for students in our English Language Program but it sounds like your 'modification' is quite highly customized to your Moodle instance and thus probably wouldn't work for us and we don't, unfortunately, have any programmers to make it work for us.

I'm it...and definitely not a programmer. smile Not even a good hacker smile

Thanks though.

Jason

by Mert gokkaya -
Any updates on site wide attendance?
In reply to Mert gokkaya

by Mert gokkaya -
I used a basic query in MSSQl/ Access combination. Right now it seems ok in terms of getting absent students with remarks. With a decent interface, date, present etc. it may work.

SELECT TOP 100 PERCENT dbo.mdl_attendance_log.studentid AS Expr2, dbo.mdl_attendance_sessions.sessdate AS Expr1,
dbo.mdl_attendance_log.status AS Expr3, dbo.mdl_attendance_log.remarks, dbo.mdl_user.firstname, dbo.mdl_user.lastname
FROM dbo.mdl_attendance_log INNER JOIN
dbo.mdl_attendance_sessions ON dbo.mdl_attendance_log.id = dbo.mdl_attendance_sessions.id INNER JOIN
dbo.mdl_user ON dbo.mdl_attendance_log.id = dbo.mdl_user.id
WHERE (dbo.mdl_attendance_log.status = N'A')
ORDER BY dbo.mdl_user.firstname )

In reply to Mert gokkaya

by Mert gokkaya -
Ins't the date starts counting seconds from 1/1/1970? I have to get it back to 10/1969 to get it properly adjusted.
In reply to Mert gokkaya

by William Felton -
Mert - I too am needing a global attendance report (several different reports actually). I wanted to start with your sql query to get me on my way but I received an error.

You have an error in your SQl syntax. check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '100 PERCENT dbo.mdl_attendance_log.studentid AS Expr2, dbo.mdl_attendance_sessio' at line 1

I have some experience with sql but I am unfamiliar with the "TOP 100 PERCENT" part of this query. Can you give me any guidance? Have you created any other reports in the last 7 months that have helped with this issue?
Thank You
In reply to William Felton

by Mert gokkaya -
Somehow I did not receive this email from your post. We mainly used MS SQL while developing that query, so top 100 percent was an internal sql approach. Luckily we will be back on MySQL. If you tried that query on MySQL it will fail. I will paste a new query for Mysql soon as soon I test it.
In reply to Mert gokkaya

by Dan Leighton -
Can I lend my support to this potential new feature? A site wide attendance feature would move this module from a "useful" to a "essential" basis.

Great work so far guys.

Many many thanks.

Dan
In reply to Shin Okada

by Shin Okada -
I requested this feature 18 months ago.
I wonder if this will be adopted in the coming version.
In reply to Shin Okada

by Barry Oosthuizen -
Hi Shin,

I'm interested to understand more about your idea. I see in the student's view (also accessible by teachers) there is an 'All courses' tab as well as a 'This course' tab. Is the info in the 'All courses' tab not sufficient? Do you just want it to calculate what the overall attendance % is?

I have also built a report builder where you can choose the course, student (and a whole bunch of new added fields). You could check it out here CONTRIB-1400 if you want.

Cheers,

Barry