I am testing out Moodle right now, it looks like the developers have done a great job.
I am having trouble figuring out how the 'course creator' role works though. I have set up an account and assigned a role of 'course creator' but when that user logs in, there are no new menus that allow him to create courses. Is there something I am missing?
- show a Combo list on the Front page when logged in (Site administration -> Front page -> Front page settings)
- add a Course block to the Front page
- have your Course creators use the magic URL
Hi All, hope you don't mind me asking a somewhat related question in your postings...
I get the course creator role and it works just fine. However I wanted to play around with the idea of allowing teachers to create their own courses. I took the role permissions from the course creator and added them to the teacher role, however the teachers still cannot add their own courses. When teachers veiw course/course categories, there is no "add a new course" button showing.
Is it possible to have teachers create their own courses?
The permissions of a role can only be used within the context in which the role is assigned. Teacher is normally assigned in a Course context. Having the ability to create courses in a Course context is completely useless, since Courses can only be created in categories, and Catgory is a higher level context.
An alternative is to assign your modified Teacher role at the Category level. Also a bad idea. Do you really want users with this role to be Teachers in every course within the Category? No, you just want them to be be Teachers within the courses they create.
An even worse alternative would be to assign the modified Teacher role in the System context. Then your Teachers will Teach every course, including the Front page.
Convinced that modifying Teacher is a bad idea? Then your first step should be to do a "Reset to defaults" on the Teacher role.
The correct solution is to assign the Course creator role to users in the appropriate category.
- As admin, click Site administration -> Courses -> Add/Edit courses.
- On that page, click the appropriate category link (if you only have one category, it is probably called Miscellaneous).
- On the next page, click the Assign roles link in the upper right corner of the page.
- On the next page, click Course creator.
- On the next page, select one or more users that you want to assign to this role and assign them using the arrow button.