General help

Course Creator, how to use?

Picture of roy li
Course Creator, how to use?

Hi

I am testing out Moodle right now, it looks like the developers have done a great job.

I am having trouble figuring out how the 'course creator' role works though. I have set up an account and assigned a role of 'course creator' but when that user logs in, there are no new menus that allow him to create courses. Is there something I am missing?

thanks

Mark

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of John Isner
Re: Course Creator, how to use?

Course creators can only create a course within a category. They need to see the categories. Then, when they click on one of the categories, they will see a Create course button. Here are three ways to see the categories:
  • show a Combo list on the Front page when logged in (Site administration -> Front page -> Front page settings)
  • add a Course block to the Front page
  • have your Course creators use the magic URL

http://mysite/course/index.php?id=2
*For example, paste this URL into your browser and you will be able to see all the categories in Using Moodle course (the course you are in now)

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Sal Iacono

Hi All,  hope you don't mind me asking a somewhat related question in your postings...

I get the course creator role and it works just fine.  However I wanted to play around with the idea of allowing teachers to create their own courses.  I took the role permissions from the course creator and added them to the teacher role, however the teachers still cannot add their own courses.  When teachers veiw course/course categories, there is no "add a new course" button showing.

Is it possible to have teachers create their own courses?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of John Isner

Modifying the Teacher role is a bad idea for several reasons.

The permissions of a role can only be used within the context in which the role is assigned. Teacher is normally assigned in a Course context. Having the ability to create courses in a Course context is completely useless, since Courses can only be created in categories, and Catgory is a higher level context.

An alternative is to assign your modified Teacher role at the Category level. Also a bad idea. Do you really want users with this role to be Teachers in every course within the Category? No, you just want them to be be Teachers within the courses they create.

An even worse alternative would be to assign the modified Teacher role in the System context. Then your Teachers will Teach every course, including the Front page.

Convinced that modifying Teacher is a bad idea? Then your first step should be to do a "Reset to defaults" on the Teacher role.

The correct solution is to assign the Course creator role to users in the appropriate category.
  1. As admin, click Site administration -> Courses -> Add/Edit courses.
  2. On that page, click the appropriate category link (if you only have one category, it is probably called Miscellaneous).
  3. On the next page, click the Assign roles link in the upper right corner of the page.
  4. On the next page, click Course creator.
  5. On the next page, select one or more users that you want to assign to this role and assign them using the arrow button.
It doesn't matter if the users you assign Course creator to also have role assignments in other contexts. For example, some of them may also be Teachers in certain courses and some may not.
I

Average of ratings: Useful (1)