Permission denied (13) & Failed to write session data (files) ERRORS

Permission denied (13) & Failed to write session data (files) ERRORS

by James Marshall -
Number of replies: 3

PLEASE HELP ASAP!!!

I am having some problems with my installation of Moodle. Everything was fine this morning and could use the system prefecty...then I was asked to setup a cron job to sort out the emails and things but as soon as i had run the cron.php file (to test it) I started to recieve errors.

I am getting the following errors:

Warning: Unknown(): open(/home/indigocs/lfcVLE/sessions/sess_f591eba7204318e7724170de2adb32f2, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown(): Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/home/indigocs/lfcVLE/sessions) in Unknown on line 0

(The website I have installed it on is: www.indigocs.com/lfc/vle)

I have checked the chmod permissions and verified the directory actually exists but I am really stuck as to what has happened.

NOTHING has changed since this morning and only seemed to have trouble when I ran the cron job (via a browser - running the cron.php file) earlier today.

Can someone PLEASE help!! It is imperitive that I get it working today. If I have to backup the MySQL database then so be it but I would love to know what has gone wrong.

Please let me knwo a.s.a.p. If you can help. Thanks

JameZ

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Marshall

Re: Permission denied (13) & Failed to write session data (files) ERRORS

by Herbert Keijers -
Hi James,
I would double check the paths and the config.php file.
Note that www.indigocs.com/~indigocs exists whereas www.indigocs.com/~indigocs/lfcVLE does not ? ( unless you worked with an alias in the config of the webserver).

If the paths really exists, can you give the permissions on the sessions folder ?

The cron job in Moodle has nothing to do with this ...
In reply to Herbert Keijers

by James Marshall -

Thanks for your help Herbert....I have actually rectified the problem.

All the folders were there but I think WS_FTP screwed up the permissions...I have just installed FTP Voyager, removed the uploaded files directory (the one that was causing the problem) and replaced it with 777 permissions.

All seems to be working fine now smile

I do have another problem though with fonts but I will leave that for another post...smile

J

In reply to James Marshall

by Leon Harris -
Hi.

hmmme, was working, did something unrelated, now can't write

looks like the old disk may be a bit full.

try
df
and see if it says 100% for /home

If so, you will have to make some space.
try deleting (or moving to another fuller partition) your backup files
try
find / | grep core and see if you have a lot of core or core.1234 type files (where 1234 is the pid of whatever died - hint: type file core.1234 to see what that might be).

do you have any .tar files? why not gzip -9 file.tar them to get some more room.

good luck
Leon