Feedback Help

Feedback Help

by Rob Nielsen -
Number of replies: 4
I have a nice little lesson working properly, with feedback for both correct and incorrect answers.

My question is this: can I change the way feedback displays? I have run into some usability issues when doing some testing. Users complain that they have to see the entire question page again, and that they have to scroll down past it to see the feedback.

I would like the feedback to show up at the top of the page. I am not very concerned that the lesson page show up as well on feedback, but if it is there, I would prefer it to show up BELOW the feedback.

On a related note, it would be nice if a continue button were also at the top of the feedback page. Scrolling the page just to find a continue button when you have already read a page is really not good design.

Any thoughts? Can I accomplish this with a small CSS hack?

Thanks in advance.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rob Nielsen

Re: Feedback Help

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Rob > I would like the feedback to show up at the top of the page. I am not very concerned that the lesson page show up as well on feedback, but if it is there, I would prefer it to show up BELOW the feedback.

The problem is that the Lesson module is versatile and can be used for all kind of activities, unlike the Quiz module, which is clearly aimed at asking questions and - optionally - providing feedback.

A few years ago the standard behavior of the Questions pages in Lesson was in fact what you wish. The sequence was:

• Question page (with question text and choices etc.).
  • Next screen showing feedback on its own.
  • If correct response, move on to next page; if incorrect go back to question page with text.

As I use the Lesson module mainly for very brief material presentation and self-assessment questions, and as feedback is all important for me, I found it anti-pedagogic to display the feedback on its own, so that the student could no longer see the question text and their selected choice. This is why I insisted that feedback should be displayed on the same page as the question text and question choices.

For the same reason I would find it strange to have the display you suggest:

• FEEDBACK
  • QUESTION TEXT
  • QUESTIONS & STUDENT'S RESPONSE

It is not logical to have FEEDBACK displayed before QUESTION TEXT and RESPONSES.

I quite understand your point of view. You apparently display a lot of text on question pages, and then ask a question at the bottom, etc.

As I said at the beginning, because in the Lesson module you can use Question pages for a variety of uses, there is no display which will fit all types of activity.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Rob Nielsen -
Thank you for your reply. I must say, however, that the display I suggest is this:
  • question and student response
  • feedback
  • question page text
It is really just to avoid having to scroll down to see whether or not the student got the answer right and click the continue button. (which is why there could be a continue button at the top as well, similar to the book module controls).

I like having the original question page text there for review and understanding (especially if they student chose the wrong answer).

I guess if it is really too much hassle to make a change like this, I will make more of an effort to fit question page text better on lower screen resolutions.

On a similar note, why does the question page formatting go away on the feedback page? It looks awkward, and I see no reason why the original formatting can't be preserved (it is centering all the text, for example).
In reply to Rob Nielsen

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Rob,
I think Joseph is telling us it is a php hack that will effect the entire site.

I am not swift enough to figure out if there is something CSS effects in just the feedback screen. And too lazy at the moment to do a reveal code to see what the tags are. But I was thinking if there was then maybe a course theme would be the way to do a small CSS change. But that is not going to help.

However, if your Moodle is just used by you, maybe you should dive into the mod/lesson php files.

Best Chris
In reply to Chris Collman

by Rob Nielsen -
Here's a thought: After a student chooses an option in a lesson question page, could the "block" containing the options simply refresh, with the feedback? It would save having to reload the whole page, and not confuse the users.