upload course & use?

upload course & use?

by jobe jobe -
Number of replies: 9
I'm trying to upload a large course but don't know where to put it. I'm using cPanel so can upload through the file manager & unzip it.
Where do I put it so that after unzipping I can locate it in the Admin interface?

Thanks for any help.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to jobe jobe

Re: upload course & use?

by A. T. Wyatt -
Greetings, Jobe!

I can tell you my personal strategy for this. I don't use cpanel, but maybe you can find the commonalities and be successful regardless!

I always create a "conversions and uploads" course where I upload all moodle or archives prior to restoring them. I have wrecked my front page before by being careless when restoring (replacing the FRONT PAGE course by accident), and I find it much safer to restore out of a shell course that I use for all such activities.

Figure out what ID number moodle assigns to this course, and then you can find it again in the moodledata folder. (On my system, this course is always 2!) Place the archive in the uploads and conversions course area directly.

Then, when you go into the course through moodle, you will be able to find and restore it with the moodle restore tools. I don't think you will be successful to unzip the archive with cpanel.

If I misunderstood your post and answered a question you didn't ask, apologies! smile

atw
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by jobe jobe -
Thanks for getting back to me atw.

Sounds straightforward.
Where do I create the folder 'conversions & upoloads'?
In the root of the installation or the moodledata folder which is outside of the installation?

the course consists of an xml document - the course info & then a folder with the data for the course within it.

In reply to jobe jobe

by A. T. Wyatt -
YOU do not create this course folder. You have to do it through the moodle. Add a new course to moodle with the moodle admin tools. Call it "uploads and conversions" (same for fullname and shortname field) and make yourself the instructor. Go in to the course and add a file. Doesn't matter what, this is just to force the creation of the course folder with corresponding ID in the moodledata directory. Once you have the folder in moodledata AND you know the course ID, it is a simple matter to upload your large course archive into the right folder.

I am confused by your statement:
the course consists of an xml document - the course info & then a folder with the data for the course within it

Are you working with a moodle archive or something else??

atw

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by jobe jobe -
Yes, that sounds clear - I'll try all that out later. Thanks.

The zipped up course I'm trying to upload contains, I think - it's at home & I'm at work, a moodle document that has all the course details - I think it's an xml document. It's a moodle archive I believe.

And then there are two folders, one with the data in & the other empty. I'm not sure what this other one is called.

In reply to jobe jobe

by A. T. Wyatt -
A moodle archive should be a .zip file (and you are right, it contains folders with data and an xml manifest). But don't take it apart! Upload the .zip file and use the moodle restore tool to process it! Otherwise, I doubt you will have much success.

Good luck!

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by jobe jobe -
Cracked it atw.
Uploaded it to a newly created course > restore > & followed from there.
Thanks for your advice & patience.

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Paula Clough -

If you are still listening, A.T.Wyatt, thank you for this great, simple idea.  I'm sure it will save me a lot of hassles!

Paula C cool

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Normand Morin -

I'm also having problems with uploading a course back up and restoring it. The file is 180 mg and for the upload limit is 24mg. How can I change this upload limit?