Calculated columns & moodle 1.3

Calculated columns & moodle 1.3

by Will Muenchow -
Number of replies: 12

Does Calculated columns work with Moodle 1.3? I would love to add this but our current semester started and I dont want to mess up anything if it doesn't work with 1.3 :D

Thanks !

Will

In reply to Will Muenchow

Re: Calculated columns & moodle 1.3

by W Page -
Hello Will!

I installed it in v1.3.1

You can check it out at,
http://s94988317.onlinehome.us/moodle/

Use UserID/Password - teacher1010/teacher1010

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Will Muenchow -

Just seen your post! I'll make sure to check it when your done Updating as your page says!

Thanks!!!!

Will

In reply to W Page

by g k -
Does the calculated column feature work? I have been trying to get this work and I have not been able to.

by g k -
I tried to use the calculated columns feature and it does not work--unless I did something wrong thoughtful

Re: Calculated columns & moodle 1.3 - Help please!

by Jill Kaminski -

I'm running Moodle 1.3.3+, and I'm having the following problems with Calculated Columns:

1) I added a calculation to simulate one type of grade being worth 1/2 a student's quarter grade, and another type being worth the other 1/2 (e.g., half labs and half tests or whatever). I wrote the wierd-looking formula in the "1st Quarter Grades" column in the pictures below. In the teacher's gradebook, it calculates correctly and looks like this:

teacher view

But in the students' gradebooks, it calculates this column as Error (shown below):

student view

In playing around with this, you'll see that I've created another column named Test (not meaning "assessment", just meaning "I'm testing this!"). In this column, I've avoided using PAx (the percentages), and just used the actual values. In the teacher book, it gives identical results as the other column. In the students' books -- no error! But a different calculated value.

Can anyone help?? Gustav, are you out there? smile

Problem 2) This is possibly related to Calculated Columns, possibly not. In the same class' gradebook, I have an offline assignment (Student Info Sheet). This is a completion assignment, and I've entered grades of 5/5 for everyone who turned it in. Problem is, I want to set a grade of 0/5 for people who haven't turned it in. When I change their "no grade" to 0/5, it does not update the assignment (at the top, it says it updated 0 assignments).

In the teacher's gradebook, it  looks like Calculated Columns is correctly using a value of 0 for "no grade" in calculations. In the students' gradebooks, I'm not sure if it's using 0 or maybe that this is part of the calculation errors.

Is it possible that Calculated Columns is really not ready for prime time?

Jill

In reply to Jill Kaminski

by W Page -
Hi Jill!

Few things,
  • Gustav seems to be focusing on getting v1.4 Final out with Martin right now so your concerNs may need to be transmitted by e-mail to catch his attention. He usually responds quickly to forum posts however.
  • Check out a site I put up to test the (hopefully) coming GradeBook2. I will be reinstalling it later today so check it out in the evening. I did not do the rewrite but I am testing it [Very Unofficially]. My grade test site is at, http://s94988317.onlinehome.us/moodlegrade/
  • The thread for "GradeBook2" is located at, http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=11251

I would like to know how to work around the issues you raised as well so I will also be looking out for Gustav's response.

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Jill Kaminski -

Thanks for your reply, but ...

• Gustav's email address is hidden from me, so I can't email him directly.
  • Should I have a login to your gradebook site? If so, what is it? Logging in as a guest doesn't give me access to the gradebook itself.
  • Can you or anyone else verify that my problems are a valid problems in v1.3.3?

I don't really need to know at this point what works or does not work with "Gradebook2". I really need to know that if I'm running 1.3.3 right now, can I use Calculated Columns as advertised, or should I remove it and wait for it to become more stable.

Thanks, W! You're a good Moodler.

by W Page -
Hi Jill,

• Post your original post in the General Problems Forum as a new thread.  I understand that this is an urgent problem for you.  Gustav indicated he uses CalculatedColumns at his school so I am sure he would know what was wrong.
  • For the website the Login:  teacher1010/teacher1010

I had to reinstall all the website today but I have not installed Gustav's piece of the database because I keep getting the doggone Error message on the Admin page.  Hoping someone can help me with that.  I cannot remember how I resolved it before.

I wish that I could help you with this Jill but I can't sad

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Jill Kaminski -

I can help you with the doggone Error message!

Look in the thread "Gradebook with calculated columns in Moodle 1.3?" for a post from me called "RED Error and multiple Total columns" (and, tell me how you link to a discussion posting! so I could give you a better answer!)

Jill

by Gustav W Delius -

Hi Jill,

is it possible that Calculated Coluns is really not ready for prime time? Yes, it certainly isn't. We are using it here at York, but only in an environment where we know that all grades are numerical. It produces these red Errors whenever it encounters something that is not a number.

I can't immediately see the reason for why your formula is working in the teacher's table but not in the students'. It is late and I can't think any more.

Have you tried the new gradebook2 yet?

In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Jill Kaminski -

Thanks for your reply, Gustav. Get some rest! smile

All of my calculations are numbers, so I don't think this is my problem. However, I found a thread that talked about a bug where students' scores are calculated differently, possibly due to hidden assignments. I have to find it, and I'll try the fix. I think that a Ray and a Paul were involved.

I don't have time to play with non-release Moodle right now. I'm just trying to get my production stuff working for my current classes.

Jill

by Jill Kaminski -

Paul Mazza posted a fix to this problem in the forum entitled "Gradebook with calculated columns in Moodle 1.3?"

And it fixed my problem!! smile

I still don't have an answer to why I cannot change an assignment from "no grade" to 0 points. I'll search the forums for this, but could someone reply if they've seen this odd behavior? If the columns calculate the "no grade" as a 0, then I guess it's ok for now, but still ...