EdExcel Criteria in Rubrics

EdExcel Criteria in Rubrics

by Mark Ward -
Number of replies: 5
Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone here will be able to give some recommendations on a problem I'm having with Moodle (1.8).

Basically our department teaches a lot of edexcel BTEC course, with modules which follow a set brief. Students must complete a certain criteria to get different grades (see diagram for clarification).

The problem I am having is that I have not found a way to get moodle to support this form of grading, either through gradebook, exercises, workshops, or a third party plugin.

The system we are currently working with, is completly seperate to moodle and allows teachers to store grades for an entire module, and then allows students to view their grades for each module they are on:

gradesns0.jpg

This system is perfect for what we want, but it is not linked with moodle and requires teachers and learners to log into a new site to check their progress. What we really need is a way of replacing "Scales" with a criteria based system so we can update these grades as we mark the assignments.

My question really is split into two; firstly is there any way I could achieve this on Moodle 1.8 (including any plugins that may be out there)... or failing that can we expect to see this requirement met with moodle 1.9?

Cheers everyone
In reply to Mark Ward

Re: EdExcel Criteria in Rubrics

by Andrew King -

We encountered this same problem, but dealt with it slightly differently using Moodle.

Looking at your system, it looks very similar to what we had originally tried to achieve, although I assume that you're having to signpost the evidence in another form somewhere?

What we do now is have the EdExcel grading grids directly within the assignment, and we use 2 different methods to achieve this.

1. We output a HTML version of a grading grid and copy and paste it into the comments area against an assignment.
  2. Using the advanced assignment format we 'send' a completed assessment sheet.

Both of these methods have drawbacks, but it does mean that we are able to keep the students submissions and assessments and IVs in the same place.

If you want some further info then just email me; andrew.king (at) tameside.ac.uk.

Incidently, we also assess students work in MP3 format which our NSS  examiner found to be very positive...

In reply to Mark Ward

by David Fountain -

Mark,

I am doing the OCR equivalent and have used the gradebook plus patch in 1.8. Instead of tick boxes I have marked 0 (incomplete) and 1 (complete), it looks like this (I have made a small hack that colours the cells green and orange if a 1 or 0 is present):

Gradebook picture

I have also written a block (criteria reference) which allows me to create blocks to appear on the course page that display the students progress through the course (the example below is for a student who has not started yet):

Block criteria reference picture

And finally there is development of gradebook in 1.9 which promises to bring this functionality into the moodle core (Discussion here) or search for the term used which is 'Outcomes'.

Regards

Dave

In reply to Mark Ward

by Mark Ward -
thanks guys, thats given me a few more avenues to explore.. Ill post here if I find anything else that others may find useful.
In reply to Mark Ward

by Matt Gibson -
Have you tried to use outcomes in 1.9? I can rate AO1 AO2 and AO3 separately for my essays (AQA spec) and it is very useful, but I'm not familiar with the grid you have shown. Setting each of P1, P2, P3 etc as a different outcome and associating them with the activities that they are relevant in would work.

Each outcome would need a yes/no scale to grade it. When you grade the activity, you would give it a normal grade as well as specify whether the outcomes were yes or no.

1.9 is fine for production use IMO and I've been running it for 3 months now without issues. Maybe time for an upgrade? Certainly, it is worth your while to make a copy of your course and restore it to a 1.9 test install to experiment with.
In reply to Matt Gibson

by Andrew King -
For BTECs you are required to 'signpost' evidence against the assessment criteria. This requires being able to make a comment against a 1.9 outcome in order to illustrate; a) where specifically in the assignment has competence been demonstrated? b) What action does the student need to take?

Currently as far as I am aware, the 1.9 outcomes do not facilitate this.