Jump to... where?

Jump to... where?

by Adam Barnhart -
Number of replies: 8
My institution is just beginning to implement Moodle for our courseware.  As a result, I'm going to have a lot of questions, many of which should be easy to knock out of the park. big grin

Is there a body of information on the "Jump to..." menu?

I'm trying to do a few things.  I want to increase the number of options on it and make it available on all pages.  Right now, we only have skeleton of options (usually only the page it resides on) and the menu is not present everywhere. 

Thanks for any help.  I'll learn quickly.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adam Barnhart

Re: Jump to... where?

by Gustav W Delius -

The "Jump to..." menu lists all activities in the course. Activities are the things the teacher adds to your course page using the "Add..." drop down lists: forums, resources, quizzes, workshops, dialogues, chats, ..... I am not sure what else you could possibly want to jump to.

Please let us know which pages that currently don't have the "Jump to ..." menu you would find it useful on.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Adam Barnhart -
Thanks for the reply!

My intent for the "Jump" menu was to use it as another place for breadcrumbs.  The incourse navigation makes sense, although the name of the menu could be changed to be a bit more appropriate. 

Perhaps I'll just add another drop down navigation menu in the bar for my (second) breadcrumbs and title it appropriately.

by Gustav W Delius -

Please suggest something better than "Jump to ..." to appear in the navigation drop-down menu.

by Adam Barnhart -
I would think that "Course Navigation" or some equivalent would be a little clearer about the function of the menu. Considering its limited function within the entire framework of moodle, "Jump to" just seems to broad.  Does this strike anyone the same way?

by Gustav W Delius -

For me "Course Navigation" sounds as if I could navigate between the courses. But maybe that is because I am not a native English speaker.

I have had a look at the source code and it turns out that the same jumpto string is also used for the navigation menu that shows up when one sets the focus to one section (by clicking the little square icon in the section border). So just changing the string in the language file isn't enough, we would actually have to introduce two separate strings. I will only do that if there are more votes.

It also occurred to me that Moodle 1.3 users will not quite understand what we are talking about because that the "Jump to ..." text is always shown in the navigational menu is new in Moodle 1.4dev.

by Ray Lawrence -

I agree with Gustav on this one.

I don't feel that "Course Navigation" describes what happens e.g. this wouldn't take you to the calendar. The layout suggests that you should display a list and "Jump to ..." seems to naturally refer to the list items.

Ray

by W Page -
Someone in one of the other forums or threads suggested a second menu - Navigational Bar - under the present navigation bar to help with navigation.  Maybe, someone can point you to that discussion.  I could not remember where it was and could not locate it in a search.

WP1

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to W Page

by Adam Barnhart -
Thanks for the thought and the attempted search.  I'll give a search a try also.