Installation stops on the second page

Installation stops on the second page

by Martin Mart -
Number of replies: 3

I have the same problem with version 1.3 and 1.3.1+ (ziped downloaded from moodle.org). On a Free BSD linux I copy unziped files via FTP to the server. Configured the config file and start the installation.

The first page with success in every statement.

The second page with a list of errors and i stuck on this page. (example attached)

I think is a matter of permissions but i do not know where to start. Free BSD is very hard to deal with them (as they told me).

The database have 21 tables. I tried 3 times, dropping all tables between the assays via phpMyAdmin.

I did a try installing locally (windows---> everything ok), backupping database; executing the sql on the server to reinstall the database and the moodle starts. But: i couldn´t install a chat or a course in the server: the message is unknown error. May be a special user needed to deal with the server (www is the apache in FreeBSD). I tried changing permissons on dirrectories to 0777 and 0707 nothing helped.

Thanks for your help!!!

Current version 
spacer.gif

(mysql): CREATE TABLE `config` ( `id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment, `name` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '', `value` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '', PRIMARY KEY (`id`), UNIQUE KEY `name` (`name`) ) COMMENT='Moodle configuration variables';  

1050: Table 'config' already exists

Error

Created a new table 'config' to hold configuration data

(mysql): DELETE FROM `modules` WHERE `name` = 'chat'  

Success

(mysql): ALTER TABLE `modules` DROP `fullname`  

1091: Can't DROP 'fullname'. Check that column/key exists

Error

(mysql): ALTER TABLE `modules` DROP `search`  

1091: Can't DROP 'search'. Check that column/key exists

Error

(mysql): ALTER TABLE `log_display` CHANGE `table` `mtable` VARCHAR( 20 ) NOT NULL  

1054: Unknown column 'table' in 'log_display'

Error

(mysql): ALTER TABLE `user_teachers` CHANGE `authority` `authority` TINYINT( 3 ) DEFAULT '3' NOT NULL  

Success

(mysql): ALTER TABLE `course` CHANGE `guest` `guest` TINYINT(2) UNSIGNED DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL  

Success

(mysql): ALTER TABLE `user` ADD `maildisplay` TINYINT(2) UNSIGNED DEFAULT '2' NOT NULL AFTER `mailformat`  

1060: Duplicate column name 'maildisplay'

Error

(mysql): ALTER TABLE `course_sections` CHANGE `summary` `summary` TEXT NOT NULL  

Success

(mysql): ALTER TABLE `user_teachers` CHANGE `authority` `authority` TINYINT( 10 ) DEFAULT '3' NOT NULL  

Success

(mysql): ALTER TABLE `user_teachers` ADD `role` VARCHAR(40) NOT NULL AFTER `authority`  

1060: Duplicate column name 'role'

Error

(mysql): ALTER TABLE `course` ADD `teachers` VARCHAR( 100 ) DEFAULT 'Teachers' NOT NULL AFTER `teacher`  

1060: Duplicate column name 'teachers'

Error

(mysql): ALTER TABLE `course` ADD `students` VARCHAR( 100 ) DEFAULT 'Students' NOT NULL AFTER `student`  

1060: Duplicate column name 'students'

Error

(mysql): ALTER TABLE `user` CHANGE `personality` `secret` VARCHAR( 15 ) DEFAULT NULL  

1054: Unknown column 'personality' in 'user'

Error

(mysql): ALTER TABLE `user` ADD `lang` VARCHAR( 3 ) DEFAULT 'en' NOT NULL AFTER `country`  

1060: Duplicate column name 'lang'

Error

Most Moodle configuration variables have been moved to the database and can now be edited via the admin page.

Although it is not vital that you do so, you might want to edit config.php and remove all the unused settings (except the database, URL and directory definitions). See config-dist.php for an example of how your new slim config.php should look.

(mysql): ALTER TABLE `user` CHANGE `lang` `lang` VARCHAR(5) DEFAULT 'en' NOT NULL  

Success

(mysql): ALTER TABLE `user` ADD `deleted` TINYINT(1) UNSIGNED DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL AFTER `confirmed`  

1060: Duplicate column name 'deleted'

Error

(mysql): ALTER TABLE `user` ADD `htmleditor` TINYINT(1) UNSIGNED DEFAULT '1' NOT NULL AFTER `maildisplay`  

1060: Duplicate column name 'htmleditor'

Error

(mysql): ALTER TABLE `reading` RENAME `resource`  

1146: Table 'moodlemartin.reading' doesn't exist

Error

(mysql): DELETE FROM `log_display` WHERE module = 'reading'  

Success

(mysql): INSERT INTO log_display VALUES ('resource', 'view', 'resource', 'name')  

Success

(mysql): UPDATE log SET module = 'resource' WHERE module = 'reading'  

Success

(mysql): UPDATE modules SET name = 'resource' WHERE name = 'reading'  

Success

(mysql): ALTER TABLE `course` ADD `modinfo` TEXT NOT NULL AFTER `format`  

1060: Duplicate column name 'modinfo'

Error

(mysql): SELECT name FROM config WHERE name = 'forum_displaymode'  

(mysql): SELECT * FROM config WHERE id ='-1'  

(mysql): INSERT INTO config ( name, value ) VALUES ( forum_displaymode, 3 )  

1054: Unknown column 'forum_displaymode' in 'field list'

(mysql): SELECT name FROM config WHERE name = 'forum_shortpost'  

(mysql): INSERT INTO config ( name, value ) VALUES ( forum_shortpost, 300 )  

1054: Unknown column 'forum_shortpost' in 'field list'

(mysql): SELECT name FROM config WHERE name = 'forum_longpost'  

(mysql): INSERT INTO config ( name, value ) VALUES ( forum_longpost, 600 )  

1054: Unknown column 'forum_longpost' in 'field list'

(mysql): SELECT name FROM config WHERE name = 'forum_manydiscussions'  

(mysql): INSERT INTO config ( name, value ) VALUES ( forum_manydiscussions, 100 )  

1054: Unknown column 'forum_manydiscussions' in 'field list'

(mysql): SELECT name FROM config WHERE name = 'forum_maxbytes'  

(mysql): INSERT INTO config ( name, value ) VALUES ( forum_maxbytes, 512000 )  

1054: Unknown column 'forum_maxbytes' in 'field list'

(mysql): SELECT * FROM modules WHERE name = 'forum' LIMIT 1  

Could not find forum module!!

A problem occurred inserting current version into databases

Continue

(mysql): SELECT * FROM course WHERE category = '0' LIMIT 1  

You are not logged in. (Login)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Mart

Re: Installation stops on the second page

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Martin,

I'm not absolutely sure but it seems that you have configured the $CFG->prefix as a empty string ('') in your config.php file.

Then, when the installation process tries to create the "config" table, it exists in your database and seems to be the cause of all your problems. Perhaps you have other MySQL applications under the same schema (user) and you have a name conflict.

I recommend you to change the $CFG->prefix value to its default ('mdl_') and then try to reinstall again...

Hope it helps, ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Martin Mart -

Thanks for your reply Eloy!!!

You are right. I changed to empty string in this example because was one of the ways to look for the solution.

Then name of the tables in the original configuration (with "mdl_") was martinmoodle.[name of table] and was the start of my trouble smile  (Database name is moodlemartin) and in those error messages I do not see the mdl_ string (the names of tables already have them in the database).

The database do not have other tables than the ones of moodle.

Between each assay I dropped all tables and start again. When the installation stops the database have 21 tables.

In my very first attempts i had problems with sql statemests for blocks: the file .tar.gz downloaded from moodle, unziped locally and copied to server via FTP (i do not have shell access) do not have sql files for blocks: it seems that this kind of compression do not expand files with lenght 0 (that was the problem----> i used unziped file to have the sql files with 0 length to continue with the installation).

Well: as i said, local installation database copied to the server starts the moodle. But it can´t do anything new (blocks or course installation for ex.). Something is needed (i thing permissions, apache rights or other thing).

As you said I have other aplication in the server but in other database and works fine. (Mambo). I used the same user for both databases and FTP. Moodle is a subdirectory of Mambo root site 

May be changing the user for this database will work?.

The database user have to be the same as the FTP user and owner of the files of Moodle?.

Thanks for your kind advice!

Martin

In reply to Martin Mart

by Timothy Takemoto -
I had the same sort of error messages as Martin Mart sees above, on a recent upgrade to 1.4dev but I do not notice any problems with the functionality, yet.
Tim