Moodle running in virtual server environment?

Moodle running in virtual server environment?

by Steve Reed -
Number of replies: 5
Anyone have moodle running in a virtual server environment? We are looking to run it in a VMware environment and need to now if there are any issues with this.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Reed

Re: Moodle running in virtual server environment?

by Maik Riecken -
The best virtualisation of a cow is a cow itself. There are no problems with moodle inside a vps except for performance. A virtualizised cow can't give that milk a real cow can.

Maik
In reply to Maik Riecken

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Maik

> The best virtualisation of a cow is a cow itself.

Thanks for your great analogy! I've heard that the european milk is economically viable for the first time in post-war history. That must be the reason for the big interest in vitualisation smile

> There are no problems with moodle inside a vps except for performance. A virtualizised cow can't give that milk a real cow can.

If we stay with your anlogy I would say one can't see any differnce between "real" milk and the "virtual" milk. The formula one should keep in mind that the total amount of all the cattle, virtual and real, will never be more that that of the mother cow. ;-}
In reply to Steve Reed

by Martín Langhoff -
It works, but scalability & performance suffer significantly. I tend to recommend against it unless you expect very limited traffic.

By the same token, VMware and similar tools a great for test environments (except when you are testing performance, of course). Virtualisation is amazing for development, testing and QA purposes. On the same HW you can have a few dozen VMs, each with a different flavour of Windows and IE. You might have pay a lot for the licenses, but if you have an ISV account with MS you can probably get a special deal for that.
In reply to Steve Reed

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Steve,

We run our production Moodle install under win2k3/IIS under VMWARE - the biggest thing to be careful with is to make sure that it has enough resources that aren't consumed by other services on the box. We have noticed a performance hit though like Martín mentions..

smile

Dan

In reply to Steve Reed

by Greg Hayden -
Moodle does run in a virtual machine. My college is running their moodle install in vmware. It works just fine. In my work with vmware, the performance does not suffer as great and hardware downtime no longer exists when everything is configured properly.

I have made and released moodle 1.8.4 running in a vmware server.

Centos 5.1
Gnome 2.x (for those who need a gui)
webmin(lightweight web admin interface)
Apache 2.x
php 5.2.x
MySQL 5.x

If you would like more details please message me via the boards.