HELP! Choice isn't choosing

HELP! Choice isn't choosing

by Mark Miller -
Number of replies: 4
I apologize if there is an answer somewhere in the forum, but I just tried to use choice with my high school seniors, and I've got problems. I have another class coming in in 25 minutes and I'm hoping someone may be around that can help.

1. I have my choices set for one. The students make their selection. There are 16 selections to view, but there are no students listed. All of the radio "dots" show "full". I don't have anyone showing in the results so there is no one to select, so I can't clear the "full" statement. In short, my students made their selections, something in the system registered them as responding, but they don't show up anywhere. I can't clear the responses to have them try again.

2. I really, really need to get them to make these choices. I need to be able to see who chose what. And I need to clear the choices so I can get rid of the "full".

3. I'm running 1.8. There are 16 choices, set to display vertically. Limit choice is enabled. The number "1" is entered as the limit. I'm set to show results to students after they answer. I'm also set to publish results. I'm set to no groups, and visible is set to show. Students are logging in via PC running XP (I can't imagine that makes a difference but too much info is better than too little I guess).

If you have any ideas at all, send them along please no matter what time you see this. If I can't fix it before the next class, I'll work on it over the weekend and try again next week.

UPDATE: I can't see the person who made the selection, but just for grins I had a student try and, guess what, they have the names for each person for each choice. I tried to change my mode to student, and I still couldn't see any names. I came out and back as teacher, still 16 responses but nothing showing when I click on view responses.

STILL HELP!!!!!

tnx in advance

mark miller
english department
noblesville high school
noblesville indiana
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Miller

Re: HELP! Choice isn't choosing

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Mark,

I suspect the role asssignments to your teachers are slightly bung - make sure that teachers have rights to see the responses to choices

let me know how you go!

smile

Dan
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Mark Miller -
It appears the "switch" to set rights to see responses to choices is something only admin can do. Alas I am but a lowly teacher.

I did find something interesting. If I got into reports, limit the log to "choice report", I see the full listing of what everyone has chosen. If I try to see it through the "review responses" option, I still see nothing.

If you tell me what to tell my administrator, I'll try to get her to make the adjustment. She's a little uncertain about Moodle so she is, understandably, a little apprehensive about this sort of thing.

Thanks for your help

mcm
In reply to Mark Miller

by John Isner -
If you are assigned the role of Teacher in this course, then you should have the capability mod/choice:readresponses set to Allow. This capability controls whether you see the link "View NNN responses" in the upper right corner of the page. I doubt very much that the administrator has changed the Teacher role.

Were you somehow also assigned the role of Student? For example, did you want to participate in the choice yourself, and think that the right way to do it would be to assign yourself the role of Student in the Choice context? If so, that would explain the problem, since Student sets mod/choice:readresponses to Prevent, which would supersede the value of the corresponding capability in the Teacher role.

I'm attaching a small php file called rolesdebug.php. Ask your administrator to put it in the Moodle root directory. Then login as teacher and point your browser at the file (e.g., http://yoursite/rolesdebug.php). It will give you a screen full of information that will show you what roles your userid has been assigned throughout the system. Paste (or attach) the report into this forum. In general rolesdebug.php will give you a report for the user you're logged in as.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John Isner

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Good thinking John! - that would definitely explain the weird behavior!

smile

Dan