Restoring to a new server

Restoring to a new server

by Darren Smith -
Number of replies: 3

Appols if this is a dumb question smile

I am migrating servers so I have backed up all the courses on the existing server and downloaded the zips. Great.

Now, I cannot see an obvious way to restore them on the new server. I can go to an existing course and then choose restore and tell moodle that I am restoring to a new course (hope that made sense) but although the restore works the course name is something like 'copy of ....' and 'copy2 of ....'.

Do I need to do it this way and rename all the courses manually or is there another method?

tia

Darren

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Darren Smith

Re: Restoring to a new server

by Darren Smith -
OK - so it was a dumb question blush

If anyone else is searching for this then you just upload the zips into the files folder and then click on the restore link.
In reply to Darren Smith

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Darren, only one comment.

It you are moving your entire Moodle server, I think that a better option is to make a full backup of your "moodle" and "moodledata" dir and db and install them in your new server, instead of using the backup/restore procedure (this is better to move individual courses).

Ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Darren Smith -

Thanks for the reply.

I am actually running both in parallel at the moment so just wish to intergrate the courses set up on the older moodle with the new one.

Darren