WeBWorK: New Question Type

WeBWorK: New Question Type

by Matthew Leventi -
Number of replies: 10
Hello

For the past 8 months I have been developing WeBWorK into Moodle. The final result is a plug-in in the form of a question type for Moodle 1.8.x. The application has been deployed at various institutions most notably at the University of Rochester.

The main site is: http://question2.webwork.rochester.edu. You can find more information about features and installation there.

For more information on WeBWorK go to http://webwork.rochester.edu

I would very much like to know if this is something the Moodle community would be interested in. It certainly increases Moodle's ability to handle courses with complex mathematics content.

Thanks,
Matthew Leventi
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matthew Leventi

Re: WeBWorK: New Question Type

by Lars Jensen -
Hi Matt,

Thanks for this module - I think I've got it successfully installed to the extent that I'm able to create a problem using the Questions tab, and write/paste in the pg code. This seems to work fine. However, I still have these questions:
  1. When I upload a zip file of problems, using the Import tab (I'm using the problems in the Rochester set0 directory, with corresponding set definition file), the upload apparently stalls at the first pg file/problem, and nothing is uploaded. Are there any tricks to uploading this way?
  2. Am I supposed to access and select problems from the webwork problem libraries, like the rochester_problib, asu_problib, etc. through moodle? I thought I was going to be able to see these libraries from inside moodle once I have configured the setup with a webwork question server, but I can't see any libraries.
Thanks for any help, and thanks for this great enhancement to moodle.

Lars.
In reply to Lars Jensen

by Matthew Leventi -
Hello,

There is a bug in one version of Moodle 1.8 with how categories are added by the importer. What version are you using?

The question server is not going to give you access to the question libraries. It is simply used to render and check answers for questions. Yet, there is a way to get access to the rochester_problib. Ill send you a backup of a course with the question library already imported for now.

Thanks,
Matt

by Lars Jensen -
Hi Matt,

I'm using v. 1.8.4.

I'm looking forward to receiving a copy if your course. Thanks!

Lars.

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Hi Matthew, great work! Here at SFSU are we evaluating this plug-in to determine whether we could include it in our June upgrade project. By the way have you tested this plug-in with moodle 1.9 yet? If so, what are some of the known issues? Thanks!
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

by Matthew Leventi -
Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. I have not done much testing in Moodle 1.9 other than to know that it currently does not work. Although, I do plan on upgrading the plug-in during one of my freer weekends. I am hoping that the new question bank's design will allow me to add external file support as well.

Thanks,
Matt

by Marc Grober -
Matthew,

I downloaded wwmqt from the webworks site and it appeared to install just fine in 1.9.3

However, if I try to paste data from a pg file into a webworks question I get an erro message that the script requires course id. If I try to do an import I gt various can't unzip errors, but eventually I got as far as it parsing 32 files and then it tells me it did the first and it seems to just die there.....

can you tell me if anyone is supporting wwmqt at present and if so what the status is?

by Marc Grober -
As noted here:
http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/Moodle_Question_Type_Installation
there may be a patch to address the current problems in getting wwmqt to run in Moodle 1.9.2+

I have created a tracker item to make the patch file and replacement files available here: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-1422

If you are at all interested in using wwmqt and have SOAP extensions installed, please check this out as it will only take you 5 minutes!
In reply to Marc Grober

by Jean-Marc Roy -
I have been using the Moodle Question Type (wwmqt) and the Moodle Question Server (wwqs) for a year without major problems. I currently use it with Fedora 11, Moodle 1.9.4 (fedora package), WeBWorK 2.4.1 and every thing goes well.

When I upload WeBWorK 2.4.7 I get multiple errors. Almost all existing problems previously compile give:

ProblemMoodleProblemNum
ERROR caught by Translator while processing problem file:MoodleProblemTemplate
Compilation error
**************** And for new problems, I get the Need to pass courseid or cmid to this script error.
Any help would be apreciated...
In reply to Jean-Marc Roy

by Matt Petro -
Did you try the patch listed above for moodle 1.9.5? That fixed the "Need to pass couseid" error for me.

I'm using the latest wwqs, pg 2.4.5 and moodle 1.9.5 without problems.
In reply to Matt Petro

by Jean-Marc Roy -
Thank Matt,

I install moodle 1.9.5+, the latest webwork question type (wwmqt), the latest moodle question server (wwqs) and pg 2.4.7. After installation, I got the course id problem

Need to pass courseid or cmid
Then I used the patch from http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-1422 to replace the edit_webwork_form.php file and I can now use the webwork question type without problems (I suppose the issues associated to the patch will come next).