Add a voice to slides

Add a voice to slides

by Yaoting Ke -
Number of replies: 11
Hi,

Is there a way to listen to a voice with synchronized power point slides?

Thank You
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Yaoting Ke

Re: Add a voice to slides

by Jon Williams -

not that i want to advertise microsoft but they do have a free piece of software called producer.

Or you could try the jing project and record a voice over the powerpoint.

another option (which does cost) would be vox proxy, this would allow you to add an animated character with gestures to your powerpoint as well as the sound.

In reply to Jon Williams

by Susan Maros -
I have a question to add to this discussion ...

I have a colleague who has PowerPoint slides with synchronized audio (created with Producer) that he has been using in his online courses on WebCT. We've had a bunch of compatibility issues with PowerPoint/Producer files that have nothing to do with the platform and everything to do with the use of a Microsoft product.

We are currently transitioning our whole program onto a Moodle platform. I have a significant role in helping faculty through this transition.

Any suggestions about how or how well these files would work in the Moodle context and what might be (simple!) alternatives that would work better?

Thanks!
Susan

PS I HAVE actually read the entirety of this discussion. I just don't know enough about the products mentioned to know what address the need I've outlined. Have pity on my relative techno-ignorance, please. smile

In reply to Susan Maros

by David Huston -
PowerPoint files are memory hogs.

Not everyone has MS Office to open and play them.

Convert to Flash and upload them to the Internet.

Use AuthorPoint--Lite and authorstream.com.

Embed the code in an html page and never worry about PPT again!

David Huston
In reply to Yaoting Ke

by Steve Hyndman -

Camtasis...it cost, but there is a 30-day free trial.

http://techsmith.com/camtasia.asp

It has a built-in PowerPoint tool that allows you to narrate your powerpoint presentation and then prouce the result in virtually any video format you want...I've tried a lot of software for this and have found nothing better.

Steve

In reply to Yaoting Ke

by Scott Waltz -
I have my students use Adobe Presenter. They can add voice-over and then submit it as a .zip file - which is quite convenient.
In reply to Yaoting Ke

by David Huston -
Hi:

PowerPoint presentations are HUGE files!

Add an audio track ( Tools-->Add Narration) and they become GARGANTUAN!

But, if you covert them to Flash files with AuthorPoint--Lite (free!) and upload them to the AuthorStream site, you can embed them in an HTML page that is only 5KB!!

I have used this successfully with over 60 presentations.

Works like a charm.

Try it.

David Huston
In reply to Yaoting Ke

by Yaoting Ke -
Thank you all for your valuable information.

I will try them to see which will suit me best smile.
In reply to Yaoting Ke

by A. T. Wyatt -
You know, I once used a kind of low tech solution, but it was effective! The instructor had created a presentation AND a separate soundtrack. He put both files out there as a pair and in the sound track used a signal so we would know when to advance the slide. We just ran the two files simultaneously. Not fancy, not flash, but it worked--manual synchronization! smile You could consider it if you don't have the funds to purchase software for this purpose.

You could also check out slideshare. They have recently added "slide cast", which is a way to add a synchronized sound track to the presentation. The trick to it is that the mp3 file must reside elsewhere; they don't host the soundtracks. It is possible to have a streaming problem with the sound, which affects the presentation. However, it might be worth a look!

atw
In reply to Yaoting Ke

by Luc Richard -
Slide-casts.com just released a plug-in for Moodle 1.9. It allows you to convert your PowerPoints+audio files to slide-casts and view them in Moodle. If you don't want to share your slide-cast (most people don't), you can simply create what they call a "Learning Management System channel".

You can download the plug-in here: http://www.slide-casts.com/moodle/

(And yes, it's free)