Moodle Upgrade and Custom Themes - Help?!

Moodle Upgrade and Custom Themes - Help?!

by Susan Mangan -
Number of replies: 5
Hi,

I have a stupid question ... when we upgrade our version of Moodle (currently running 1.8.2 and will be upgrading to 1.8.4 shortly), what is the recommended process for maintaining customized themes?

Would we simply copy our entire Themes directory into the new directory structure once upgraded? Or do we keep the Upgraded version of the Themes folder and only copy back certain files from our customized themes?

We have a lot of customized themes, all of which I did not create so I don't know a lot about what files were modified, etc.). To me, the simplest method would be to copy over the old Themes directory; however, I worry that there are newer versions of files that are required from the upgrade.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!!!!

Susan
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Susan Mangan

Re: Moodle Upgrade and Custom Themes - Help?!

by Zied ALAYA -
it's simple,
all what you have to do is copy these modified theme.
[advice: if you have change a standard theme, rename folders theme. eg: you have change orangewhite theme rename it to orangewhite_customized]
after upgrading, copy your themes back [eg: orangewhite_customized] in theme folder.
when you accede to the theme selector you will find them.
good upgrade !
In reply to Zied ALAYA

by Susan Mangan -
Thanks for replying so quickly! I found some additional information on upgrading and Themes after I posted this, so I think I understand now.

Just to confirm, we simply copy back our customized theme folders ONLY. So if anything had been updated in the upgrade, it would remain in the Standard Theme(s). We would not have to update anything in our customized Theme folders (unless specifically told to do so in the release notes as well as bring over new images if also in the release notes).

Thanks again for confirming!
In reply to Susan Mangan

by Zied ALAYA -
if you know what changes you have to do(eg: chage of some color or footer page), I preffer re-costomize the updated theme.
but like Mauno said usually upgrading works ok.
In reply to Zied ALAYA

by mandy honeyman -
This kind of upgrade works fine if changes are only to an "extra" css file and header/footer and pix.

Changing the standard css files in the distribution when customising is dangerous because these are the ones that will (presumably) be altered by developers.

I have found this to my cost. Now my plan is to maintain just one css file which loads, and therefore overwrites, all the others with the elements I want changed. Unfortunatly, things still break but that is why we love coding for different browsers isn't it thoughtful

hope this makes sense!
cheers
Mandy