Allowing some users to create new topics in the Site News forum on the Front Page

Allowing some users to create new topics in the Site News forum on the Front Page

by Peter de Groot -
Number of replies: 10
Help ...

Moodle 1.9 Beta 4

I want to be able to enable "some" of our users to be able to create new discussion topics on the Site News forum on the front page. This way, our teachers can add to the site news, without having me (the admin) add it.

After reading the Moodle forums/doc .. I went "Update this Forum" on the site news forum, and then selected the "Locally assigned roles" tab.

I then selected Teachers, and assumed that I would see all of the users come up in the right hand box. Wrong !!! All I saw were 2. The Administrator and the guest user.

Please help

TIA
Peter

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter de Groot

Re: Allowing some users to create new topics in the Site News forum on the Front Page

by Peter de Groot -
Has anybody else tried this ... I am no further along.

TIA
Peter

Re: Allowing some users to create new topics in the Site News forum on the Front Page

by John Isner -
You will only see users in the right box in the front page forum if those users have been assigned a role within the front page course. Suppose that you want users A and B to be able to start discussions in site news. Make them Students in the Front page course (Site administration -> Front page -> Front page roles -> Locally assigned roles tab -> Student). Since Student by default has Start discussions = Allow, you don't have to do anything in the forum context, unless (for example) you want to remove their ability to Reply to posts, in which case you can do it by overriding permissions in the forum context.
In reply to John Isner

by Steve Hyndman -

Students typically don't have the ability to start discussions in a News Forum, so I think he would need to modify the role in some way

Steve

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by John Isner -
Steve's right. I forgot that News forums uses two capabilities, "Add news" and "Reply to news," rather than the forum capabilities I mentioned. By default, Student has both capabilities set to Prevent. So you would have to override Student in the Site news Forum context, giving it Add news and possibly Reply to news.
In reply to John Isner

by Peter de Groot -
Tx for the replies...

Am as I am using 1.9b4... I can set the default role on the front page to student. Therefore anybody should be able to reply.

I wanted to set the over ride the role for some users (the school teachers) to the role of teacher in that forum. That way they "should" be able to create new topics etc etc.

From the above, it seems that most of you are using 1.8.

I may cross post into the 1.9 beta forum too...

Thanks
Peter

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Peter,

If you set the default front page role in Moodle 1.9 to student then everyone will be able to reply in an ordinary forum, but not in the site news forum. If you want everyone to be able to reply, simply delete the site news forum and then create an ordinary forum.

The easiest way to enable teachers to add site news is to assign them the front page role of teacher in Administration > Front Page > Front Page roles. However, if you don't want them to have the role of teacher for the whole of the front page, you should firstly assign them the front page role of student and then assign them the role of teacher in the site news forum via the "Locally assigned roles" tab. (Assigning teachers the front page role of student will result in them appearing in the list of potential users when assigning them a locally assigned role.)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Peter de Groot -
Tx for that ..

Interesting .... Reading the FAQ on 1.9, I was under the impression, that by defining the default role for the Front Page to student, then they could participate in all activities on the front page.

In 1.6 Students were able to reply to discussions on Front Page Site News...

Now it appears that students cannot reply to News Forums.

So that I can allow students to reply to the Front Page site news forum, would I to override the permission for the locally assigned role ???

Are you also saying that I have to EXPLICITLY add each of my teachers as students on the front page before I can then give them the teacher role in the Site New forum ?? I presumed that they got this role, the first time they accessed the front page ?

To re-iterate .. .I want students to be able to reply to discussions on the Front Page Site news forum, and teachers to able to start new discussions.

Many Tx for your help in this.

Oh, yeah ... How do I create a news forum elsewhere in the site ... it is handy.

Peter

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Peter,

By defining the default front page role as student, users can participate in all student activities. However the site news forum is not considered a student activity, since everyone is forced to be subscribed and if students are able to post replies then this could result in tons of forum emails being generated.

Anyway, if you want students to be able to reply in all news forums on your site, you can edit the role of student in Administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles and set the capability mod/forum:replynews to allow.

If you only want students to be able to reply in the site news forum, as you've worked out, you can set a news forum role override.

Users are not automatically assigned a front page role when they access the front page, so you do need to add each of your teachers as students.
Multiple users may be selected by holding down the Apple or Ctrl key whilst clicking on the users' names.

Regarding news forums elsewhere, when you create a course, a news forum is included in it automatically. Please see the news forum documentation for further information.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Peter de Groot -
If you only want students to be able to reply in the site news forum, as you've worked out, you can set a news forum role override.

I did this .. got into forum setting and allowed student to reply to news, and it worked a treat. Excellent.

Users are not automatically assigned a front page role when they access the front page, so you do need to add each of your teachers as students. Multiple users may be selected by holding down the Apple or Ctrl key whilst clicking on the users' names.

This I am having trouble with this sad I tried to edit the Front Page News Forum, and add a user as in the Student Role. I could not do this. I had to manually add my user as a student on the Front Page roles ..

Why cannot I just add my user as a student in the Front Page Site News Forum?

Anyway .. after adding my user as a student in the Front Page role stuff, they appeared in the panel, so I could then select them as a teacher in the News Forum. I am founding this counter intuitive .. at the moment sad Why cannot I not add them straight as a teacher in the Front Page New Forum ? Is this inheritance ? But it does work.

BTW ... after doing all of the .... the Turn Editing Button On button comes up on the front page as well.. even though not of the other edit symbols on the blocks etc come up.

Many Tx for your help so far.. much appreciated.

TIA
Peter

by John Isner -
I am founding this counter intuitive

I think it is perfectly intuitive. You can't assign a role to a user within a forum unless the user is able to view the course containing the forum. Allowing them to view the course is typically done by assigning them a role in the course.