SCORM

Picture of Steve Longley
How do I author a SCORM module

I want to be able to author my own SCORM modules easily.

I cannot find any simple to use tools to create SCO's, add the javascript api_wrapper and create the manifest..
I have created a small unit which consists of 4 web pages and a small Flash quiz. I have used the L5 SCORM producer to create the SCO's and the manifest and I have found some javascript APi files but when I test it in the Reload Scorm Player it does not seem to track anything.

Does anyone know the steps which should be taken to create a small SCORM package.

I am can cope with editing HTML and javascript, so I'm not a total novice, but I am when it comes to SCORM.

Are there any open source tools to create SCO's from webpages etc?

Steve Longley

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Robert Fentress
Re: How do I author a SCORM module

Hey Steve,

The SCORM Runtime Wrapper Extension for Dreamweaver will add minimal javascript code to turn a single page into a SCO.  It just finds the API, calls LMSInitialize onLoad and LMSFinish onUnload, and optionally sets the lesson status.  I see you've discovered the L5 SCORM producer.  It can be helpful if you want to quickly create a SCORM package within Dreamweaver, but it is pretty limited and I, too, had some problems getting it to work.  There is also the ManifestMaker Extension for Dreamweaver that will create a mainfest file from the contents of your DReameaver site, but it is also quite limited.  Why don't you use the Reload SCORM Editor, since you appear to be using the player?  It is the best free tool I have found for creating SCORM packages.  Unfortunately, I don't know of any good free tools (be glad to hear of any) to help you create learning interactions in your SCOs beyond the ultra minimal ones that the Dreamweaver SCORM Runtime Wrapper lets you do.  However, Claude Ostyn has created an excellent tutorial on hand coding SCORM interaction called "Cooking Up a SCORM "(http://academiaelearning.com/contenido/scorm/cooking/i_cookbook.htm).  I'd try that.

Hope that helps.

Rob

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of elearning edu

In case you prefer the dreamweaver route to SCORM one site that I am familiar with is

http://www.spainwex.com/elsewex

The elearning site in Spaisih and there is a hyperlink to moodle.  If any one is kind enough to translate the html page and post in this forum it will be helpful.  The english site is

http://www.spainwex.com/elsewex/english/demo.htm
I worked for some time in this open source Windows /ASP/MsSQL environment  and the testing site is available at
http://www.elearning.edu/forel/forum/forum.asp  use admin and pswd admin
Since I have not done any further work in this area I may not be a good resource person.  Any one with ASP skills will be able to do the SCORM compliant dreamweaver product.
Prof.V.Nagarajan.

Picture of Steve Longley

I have tried to author a scorm package using Reload, but when I do and I test it in the player it tells me the files in the organisation are assets but all the sample ones I use it tells me that each one is a SCO. What am I doing wrong.

Steve

Picture of David Puente

You have to change assets to SCO in the atribute resources elements of your RELOAD.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Steve Longley

Cheers, that wasn't in the documentation.

Dallas Ray Smetter
Group Moodle Course Creator Certificate holders

http://www.techsmith.com

The Camtasia Studio outputs SCORM compliant packages very easily.

They have a 30 day free trial which is fully functional. You can't go wrong.

Good Luck
drs

Picture of Sue Phares

Hi Dallas,

Would you mind sharing how you create SCORM packages with Camatasia? We use Camtasia quite a bit but didn't think SCORM was an option. In fact, one of the faculty we're working with contacted Techsmith and was told that SCORM compliant output wasn't available (this was a few months ago so perhaps something has changed?). The support site states:

"Once you enable the SCORM option, the Options button will become enabled. Clicking this button displays the Manifest Options screen which allows you to set the options for the e-learning lesson. "

Circular logic aside, any idea how this SCORM option is enabled?

We are using Camtasia 2.0.3

Thanks for any info,

Sue

Picture of Sue Phares

PS. I dug up the email response we got from TechSmith:

>> Date: Monday, October 04, 2004 4:48 PM -0400
>> Subject: RE: SCORM Compliance?

>> Currently, Camtasia Studio does not create SCORM comliant videos. We
>> have had many requests for this feature, however, and our development
>> team is considering it for a future release.
>> You can use the Camtasia Studio produced videos in any e-learning
>> application that does create SCORM compliant output.

So perhaps by "SCORM Compliant" they mean that it can be incorporated into a web page that is made SCORM-compliant through other means, such as using a Macromedia extension to package it?

Ray Lawrence
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers
SCORM is an option since Camtasia Studio 2.1. I tried the demo last night (I didn't test it extensively as SCORM is some way from the top of my list at the moment).

Ray

Picture of Sue Phares

Thanks for the info. I thought we had the latest version because we just bought it a couple months ago, but looks like we'll need to upgrade to 2.1 to try out the SCORM functionality.

Best wishes,

Sue

Picture of Bee Gee
Tárgy: Re: How do I author a SCORM module

Hi! I create the content in Camtasia, and the scorm package made by Reload Editor. if I upload in Moodle and check the package, the moodle dont count the time to attempt this package. Only sign to Status Completed and the Time is 00:00:00. What do I wrong? And sorry my english, I hope clear, what is my problem.

Picture of smit bailwal
Re: Tárgy: Re: How do I author a SCORM module

Hii I have all the html codes with me but what I want is that, I want to convert that html code to scorm compliance so that it could upload in moodle.. can anyone help me regarding this.. Please I need an urgent reply I would be really grateful if you could help me..

Thanks

Picture of Amy Groshek
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers
Hello Smit,

First, establish that you need SCORM, and that putting your HTML content into a Moodle lesson module, for example, won't do the trick. The lesson will track learner progress, and you can put SWF-based or JS-based interactivity right into the HTML area fields of the lesson pages.

If you do need SCORM, then have a look at this:
http://docs.moodle.org/en/SCORM_FAQ#What_version_of_SCORM_is_supported.3F

I would recommend JavaScript wrapper by Philip Hutchison. All you have to do is add the appropriate calls from your HTML pages to the wrapper functions which communicate with the LMS. One advantage of Philip's wrapper is that it works with 2004 or 1.2, so if you ever change over, you won't have to rewrite your wrapper.
http://pipwerks.com/laboratory/scorm/api-wrapper-javascript/

Also access the sample SCORM 1.2 packages from ADL here. The simple packages will show you how to package your content and your JS wrapper:
http://docs.moodle.org/en/SCORM_FAQ#Is_there_a_definitive_source_for_SCORM_information.3F

Every authorware product will have its ticks and issues. If you need SCORM, and you've already got the HTML content, then the best approach is to just author the SCORM interaction into that content. The ADL SCORM documentation, unwieldy as it is, can be very helpful (why can't they put that in a wiki?).

Best of luck,
Amy

Picture of Peter Bostock

Hi Smit

Try Courselabs from www.courselab.com

It's Russian Freeware that builds a Scorm compliant course.

You would take each page and insert it into a course. It's very easy once you work the basics out.

Picture of Amy Groshek
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers
From: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Tools_for_creating_SCORM_content#Courselab

CourseLab version 2.4 has a few bugs. First is with audio. Sometimes (for some reason not known to CourseLab) the audio will restart, creating an echo effect. You will need to un-check the "autostart" mark of the Video object (vidoe object is used to insert audio too)and then define an action on some event that fits the case (for example on the slide's afterdisplay event) choose METHOD (yourvideoobject, PLAY. this will play the audio after the slide is displayed.

Another issue is with FireFox browsers displaying graphics with CourseLab. It is stated in user's manual that some objects utilize Explorer-specific features and author should avoid using them, if he wants to use the course in multi-browser environment. These are: Gradient Box and all AutoShapes. AutoShapes are VML-objects and VML (Vector Markup Language) is not supported by FireFox. SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics - another vector format) could be the good alternative, but there are still problems with displaying inline SVG-objects in both Gecko-family and IE. (from CourseLab Support)

If these FireFox/Image display problems are not an issue then be sure to install the latest browser plug-ins. If you present content to non-IE users, do not use this authoring package.

There are some problems with Moodle configuration see http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=96338#p425335

Picture of Peter Bostock

True. However, if you are in a hurry and need a free alternative or a relatively simple way of generating SCORM compliant packages, then CourseLab does this as long as you stick to very basic HTML and the standards. Generally the majority of courses can be written within these parameters.

I don't think I've come across any tool that will deliver to requirements perfectly. Frustration is certainly the most frequent outcome. Often, innovative designs and ideas get dumped because there is simply no way to get them to work in the time available.
If it isn't the authoring package displaying garbage, it's the LMS not tracking progress or completion status. It ends up being multiple choice with powerpoint slides!

Picture of Leo Lucas

We offer low-cost authoring tools ($99 to $149) to create SCORM-based courses and tests. Our tools come with documented source code so you can modify the tools to meet specific needs. We also make Manifest Maker, the free extension for Dreamweaver that creates SCORM manifest files.