Need your advice!

Need your advice!

by Perry M -
Number of replies: 2

I set up a new Moodle 1.9, installed nWiki, and have played around with nWiki – love it.

However, when new versions of Moodle are released will I have problems upgrading since the new upgrade will have the original Wiki? I’m guessing that I will have do to the following:

1) Install new Moodle to new directory

2) Move over config.php to new directory

3) Move over new modules that I’ve installed on old directory

4) Move over the 4 directories for nWiki

Hopefully it will run again.

What happens if/when nWiki becomes the new standard and is included - will it expect the old Wiki data and have problems?

Any feedback/suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Perry M

Re: Need your advice!

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Hi Perry thanks for using NWiki,
this week someone reported a data loss in NWiki preciselly because he upgraded moodle and replaced the nwiki files.
I would do it simpler. Just create a folder with only the the contrib modules you installed and your config.php
When upgrading moodle cpy th moodle distribution and inmediatelly e-copy the contrib modules of your installation.
since nwiki replaces the MOODLE/mod/wiki directory another precaution would be to be sure to remove this directory from de moodle distribution before upgrading.

Seems obvious, but is not, be sure to back up (database and files) eerything before applying the smallest patch.
Cheers
L.

In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

Re: Need your advice!

by Perry M -

Thanks for the great advice - I'll do it!

My other concern is that nWiki will not become the defacto Wiki in Moodle and another flavor might and this might cause problems later.  But that's just speculation.

Thanks again for the great advice.

P.S.

If this were a live installation with thousands of students, will placing Moodle in Maintenance Mode prevent all kinds of problems when upgrading Moodle?