Podcasting: Inwicast Mediacenter Block - free recording tool

Podcasting: Inwicast Mediacenter Block - free recording tool

by Fabrice Mercier -
Number of replies: 36
Hi all,

We've just released Inwicast Publisher Free Edition, a user friendly recording tool for Windows XP/Vista. It supports Moodle through our Inwicast Mediacenter Block/Activity modules.

Inwicast Publisher is a kind of Swiss Army knife for podcasting ! Indeed, with a single tool, you can record audio an video podcasts as well as screencasts and slidecasts+videos (see image below).

Inwicast Publisher

The Free Edition also integrates a video converter from various formats (avi, mpg, wmv ,...) to flash flv. Along with the automatic upload on Moodle, this should help some of you to share videos more easily (well we hope so !).

Inwicast Publisher is available from our download page on sourceforge. In the free edition, the recording feature is limited to 5 minutes (which is largely enough for small tutorials/presentations and video messages), but the converter has no limitation...

Please, let us know what you think about it.

Fabrice / Inwicast

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fabrice Mercier

Re: Podcasting: Inwicast Mediacenter Block - free recording tool

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Wow that sounds great. Thanks for sharing. Any future plans to support Mac OS 10.5?
In reply to Deb Burdick-Hinton

by Fabrice Mercier -
Thank you Debra. We hope to release a Mac OS 10 version by the end of 2008...

by Mariusz Krasinski -
Nice job. No problem with instalation (1.8.4+). It works and I think it will be very usefull.
In reply to Mariusz Krasinski

by Fabrice Mercier -
Glad you find our tool useful. Please let us know if you have any suggestions.

Fabrice

by Eugenio Rodríguez Peláez -
Hi Fabrice.
I have a problem. I installed the inwicast bloc in my moodle 1.9 as an administrator without problem sonrisa, and try to prove it gives me this error triste:

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.37 Server at eurotes.es Port 80

But I never have trouble uploading videos or other documents to the site from my own moodle, only with this block.

Is there any solution?. Thanks
In reply to Eugenio Rodríguez Peláez

by Fabrice Mercier -
Hi Eugionio,

I suspect a right error. Maybe your server doesn't support 755 right level on moodledata directory/subdirectories. Can you please check this and eventually replace all occurences of 0755 by 0644 in inwicast/lib/inwicast.lib.php.

Best regards,

Fabrice

by Eugenio Rodríguez Peláez -
I have tried changing the permissions to file inwicast/lib/inwicast.lib.php. (644,755,777) but everything stays the same confuso. NO allows me to upload any file or linktriste. My moodledata permission is too 777.
I don't know what can happen, and I am very interested in the block. Thanks for your help.
Eugenio

by Fabrice Mercier -
Can you email me a link to your moodle and if possible a teacher test account so I could have a look ?

my email: dev ( AT ) inwicast.com

Fabrice

回复: Re: Inwicast Mediacenter Block - free recording tool

by want uni -
 I  have the same ,I can upload file,the file is saved in moodledata directory,but never list all the file,no link.
I like this block very much,moodle version is 1.9.2+

by Andy Tagliani -
Hi Fabrice

Please tell me, i create german language files (i think they are ready to go next week), where should i send the files? If you dont want publish your mail because spam, sende me a message. Thanks for sharing with us!

Andy
In reply to Andy Tagliani

by Fabrice Mercier -
Hi Andy, I've sent you a message with my email. Thank you for your contribution.

Fabrice

by Jamie Chandler -

Excellent tool.  How does the rss work as the block I downloaded does not contain rss.php which is linked to via course menus.

In reply to Jamie Chandler

by Fabrice Mercier -
Thanks Jamie. The RSS feature should work. I've just checked Inwicast_Mediacenter_1_02_Moodle_Block.zip available on sourceforge and the rss.php file is present in the package.

Can you please check that the rss.php file is in the zip archive that you have downloaded and that it has been copied to the /blocks/inwicast directory of your moodle.

Best regards.

Fabrice

by Jamie Chandler -

thanks fabrice yep did not copy the block accross properly as this was in the zipped folder fixed now.

What I was also wondering was whether there might be support for .mpv files in the mediacenter in the future?

In reply to Jamie Chandler

by Fabrice Mercier -
Sorry Jamie but I don't know a lot about the .mpv file format... I have to confess that I had never heard of it before ! Can you please tell me more about it and why not using .mp4 instead ?

by Jon Cochran -
Hi,

I am using the Inwicast mediacenter with our Moodle installation and we're having trouble embedding audio in a page. When we do embed audio, we just get an initializing player (the player rectangle with the spinning flash logo in the center), and no player ever loads.

Any ideas?
In reply to Jon Cochran

by Fabrice Mercier -
Hi Jon,

Can you please tell me if the problem occurs only when you embed the player using the embedded html code or also when you play the audio file in the mediacenter ? Also, which audio file format is used ?

If you use the flash player (flv and mp3 files), then you should try to add the type="application/x-shockwave-flash" to the <embed> tag of the embedded player as follows: <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" ...

Ultimately, you may post the code of the embedded player here so we could have a closer look at it.

by Jon Cochran -
The problem only occurs when we're embedding the player in the page. For reference, here's the code we're using (I tried adding your application/x-shockwave-flash bit, with no effect).

Note: Moodle strips a lot of the code out, so I don't think this is going to help. If there's an email address I can send the snippet to, that may be of more use.
In reply to Jon Cochran

by Fabrice Mercier -
Hi Jon,

Can you please check that the EMBED and OBJECT tags are allowed on your Moodle ?

You need to connect as an admin and then do as follows:

Site Administration > Security > Site Policies > Check the 'Allow EMBED and OBJECT tags' box.

Please let me know if this fix the problem.

Fabrice

Note: you can also email us using support@inwicast.com
In reply to Jon Cochran

Re: Inwicast Mediacenter Block - free recording tool - problem solved

by Fabrice Mercier -

We added a patch to the Mediacenter 1.02 release on sourceforge.

This will fix the problem (and a few other bugs).

You can download it from the following link

Installation instructions are in the readme file.

Best regards,

Fabrice

by Will Taylor -
Fabrice,

I've installed Inwicast block & mod for Moodle, & am having difficulties, with the media not being displayed. I can access the media center via the block, can upload media (it does then appear in the moodledata/medias directory, and the media icon does display as "latest media" in the block); but the player displays with a ? mark & does not stream the media. Have tried .mp3, .flv and .mov files, all with the same result.

I did download & install the block patch, after installing the block itself;
EMBED and OBJECT tags are enabled;
I moved the medias directory from the block to the moodledata directory as directed, and gave it full read/write (777) permissions;
am using Moodle 1.9
environment mysql 5.0.45, php 5.2.5
checking the db, character encoding is utf8_general_ci for both mdl_users.username and mdl_inwi_medias.user_name

The link to the uploaded media (which fails to access it) is:
.../blocks/inwicast/view.php?id=7&cmd=show_media&mediaRef=MEDIA080503180652117

- any ideas what to try next?
can't wait to get this working - quite a valuable contribution to Moodle!

thanks,
will taylor

In reply to Will Taylor

by Will Taylor -
aha!
silly me - the medias directory, with its 2 little essential files, needs to be left in blocks/inwicast -
I misread the installation directions, and believed that I needed to move this to the moodledata directory.
It's working now - gonna play with it a bit & let you know how it works in the field.

Thanks again for this most marvelous contribution to Moodle!
In reply to Will Taylor

by Fabrice Mercier -
Thank you for the feedback Will,

We are about to release the live version of the Inwicast Mediacenter/Publisher tools (I hope this will be done next week): live audio/video streaming (flash format) + slide synchro + chat.

I'll let you know as soon as it is available...

Best regards,

Fabrice

by Mark Oxley -
Wow, I've only just discovered Inwicast Publisher, may I just say a big thank you to all the programmers behind this! Never thought it'd be so easy to record my podcasts Company Formation
In reply to Mark Oxley

by Fabrice Mercier -
thank you mark clin d’oeil

by Joanna Tsai -

I am very excited and grateful with your block except the Rss doens't work

I can see the rss icon and when I click on it, it will be automatically download a rss.php file, but when I open the page of mediacenter, the rss capture window doesn't rise from the right bottom of the browser, but if I enable rss function embedded in glossary,database and forum module, when I click the activity icon, it opens the page and the rss starts to work.  I use Notepad open the rss.php, it does include the content and form that RSS needs, but why it doen't be generated as rss.xml, may then the browser or itunes can catch it.

By the way, how can I add an iTunes subscribe button for my videos?

Thanks!

Joanna

In reply to Joanna Tsai

by Fabrice Mercier -
Hi Joanna and thank you for your kind words.

I've tested the RSS feeds on several Moodle install today without any problem.

Could you please try on our moodle demo site and let us know if it works for you ?

http://moodle.inwicast.com

We will add the iTune subscribe button to our next release.

Regards,

Fabrice / Inwicast

by Joanna Tsai -

Hi, Fabrice

I've tested your site, it still downloaded a file name rss.php, when I clicked on the rss icon. I attached this.

And I still wanna you know that if you can add the function that admin. can rename every mediacenter instead of the same one as I like to have four classified mediacenter individually with videos such as movie, cartoon, news, science etc., if they are with the same name that will confuse users.

http://www.prachinese.com/blocks/inwicast/index.php?id=1 this is my practice.

Thanks for your attention.

Joanna

In reply to Joanna Tsai

by Fabrice Mercier -
Hi Joanna,

We are working on the rss issue... We've not reproduced the problem yet but still hope we can find a solution asap.

Concerning your need for several mediacenter, the best way to achieve this would be to create several courses. Then you will get one mediacenter per course.

Kind regards,

Fabrice

Flash file doesn't make the trip

by Jeffrey Jones -

Let me also thank you for a great tool, Fabrice!

We have Mediacenter installed on Moodle 1.8.5, and uploads are working perfectly. However, the free Publisher doesn't seem to be working. It's working locally - a file is recorded/converted without a problem, and plays locally. When we publish to the Moodle server, everything goes up but the media file itself - the directory is created, htm, xml, thumbnail jpg all go, but the directory doesn't have the media itself - the "media" directory only contains the thumbnail, and playback from Moodle just spins. What are we missing here?

Thanks!

In reply to Jeffrey Jones

Re: Flash file doesn't make the trip

by Fabrice Mercier -
Hey Jeffrey

Can you please check the upload_max_filesize & post_max_size parameters in the php.ini file of your Moodle web server ?

They should be increased so the server can handle upload of large files. You have to restart your apache service (or your web server if not apache) after the php.ini file is updated.

Cheers!

Fabrice

by Jeffrey Jones -

No help. I was excited about your posting, since small files seem to make the trip just fine. But the php.ini file shows a max of 100 megs. I'm not positive I know the dividing line, but small published results work fine, but the last I checked was 7-8 meg, and it didn't.

Again, direct upload into Mediacenter works fine for this files, it's just the Inwicast client publishing routine which fails. We're running a WAMP install...is there another limit somewhere I can look at?

Thanks for your help!

by Jeffrey Jones -

Fabrice:
       I've been away from the forum for a bit. I haven't pushed hard against this, since the upload procedure works OK. But I'd still love to have a functioning Inwicast Publisher client, and I'm reading others here that it works normally for them.
       We've just upgraded to Moodle 1.9.4, and the Mediacenter block works just great. However, the Publisher client is still being a problem. It works sporadically, but not consistently. Again, it always uploads everything consistently except for the video itself. You can look at the server directory, and all files are present, even the video...but the video itself is an empty file, and the player just sits there and spins.
       Where should we start? Thanks.

In reply to Jeffrey Jones

by Fabrice Mercier -
Hi Jeffrey

Is it possible to provide us a test account on your moodle so we could have a look at the issue ?

Fyi, the Publisher v2 will soon be released with a lot of new features. I'll post a link here as soon as it is available (hopefully next week!)...

Kind regards,

Fabrice

by Jeffrey Jones -

And, I'm slowly climbing back into this.

I now have full access to our beta server, and will obtain a Moodle account for you to test on. Contact me privately. This problem still exists. I have again checked the parameters you mentioned (both at 100m), and "memory_limit" (128m) which PHP help files say is related. Of course, I'm way out of my element here.

My tests this morning showed that anything 8 megs or less made the trip just fine, but a 22 meg flash video failed - same as above. I also checked time-out settings, and they seem fine.

Yes, I'll look forward to ver. 2. I have Adobe Flash Encoder 3 installed, and your ver. 1.8.7 doesn't recognize it, insisting on Flash Encoder 2.5 to encode to H.264. Hope it's coming soon! And thanks again for being so easy to work with!

Re: Inwicast Mediacenter Block - RSS Feed for iTunes

by Troy Cherry -
I'm helping a school district configure the Mediacenter block in their Moodle site (v 1.9) and are having trouble with the RSS feed. We can get the feed to aggregate in an iGoogle page and as a live bookmark in Firefox but not in iTunes.

Ideally they want it in iTunes so their students can easily manage podcasts of teacher demonstrations. Any help is appreciated.