Uploading 8Mb upgrade via Diallup

Uploading 8Mb upgrade via Diallup

by seaghan moriarty -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

I've read the other Fora, but not found a relevant solution - perhaps there is no solution to my problem! wink

I'm trying out Moodle on Shared Hosting, but find that having to download the 8Mb, unzip and upload the files again to my shared hosting for all upgrades is a really slow and tedious process.

I have no telnet / root access to the server, but was wondering if, for an upgrade, I need to upload /all/ the files all over again ...(I'm in Ireland where we have very little broadband, except for centre of cities).

Thank you for any help you can offer smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to seaghan moriarty

Re: Uploading 8Mb upgrade via Diallup

by Martyn Overy -

By far the most tedious part of the upgrade is the uploading of the language files. Watching paint dry....Now, you could save yourself an awful amount of upload time and space, by uploading only one/two language files.

In reply to Martyn Overy

by seaghan moriarty -

Thanks Martyn! smile

I have a facility with FTP to 'move' files so I re-uploaded all the other files and folders, but I simply transferred the 1.3 language folder to the /moodle/lang  folder (the 1.3.1 upgrade).

Really appreciate the help!!  Thanks again big grin

In reply to seaghan moriarty

by W Page -
Hello Seaghan!

Consider using TransLoader.com.   You can transfer files from one server to another without having to download them.  I am not sure if there are any security issues with this program.  I was unable to locate a script I could place on a site which does what TransLoader does.

Once the file is on your server you can unzip it there.  This is such a time saver.  I just learned about unzipping a file via CPanel the other day while reading a post in
Moodle.

If you cannot do either, I would sugggest what Martyn Overy suggested above or schedule the download and upload to your site (after unzipping the file) of the files during a time you are doing something else and can peep on it from time to time to make sure it is going OK.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by seaghan moriarty -

This facility at Transloader has got to be one of the coolest things ever!! cool

I uploaded the 8Mb in 15.9 seconds! Wow!  I'm still looking for the facility to unzip this file into a folder and (20 mins later!) I've found it:

- tranload the file to your site

- use FTP client to 'move' file to your files folder (eg. /uploads/1)

- view your files, tickbox the zip one and click the 'unzip' link

- wait a few minutes and the files will appear in a folder 'moodle'. After backing up, saving your config.sys etc., move /moodle into it's proper place and voila big grin

This worked tonight for me and I will try similarly when I nexxt update Moodle.