Moodle Application for Windows

Moodle Application for Windows

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 113
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
So, following on from this exciting discussion about Moodle on CD and USB stick, does someone want to tackle a one-step installer for Moodle on Windows?

What would be nice would be a single installer (ideally it would even be a standard-looking installer or .msi file) that installs Apache, PHP, MySQL and Moodle (non-invasively so it doesn't mess with registry etc) with a default set of database tables (so people don't need to even run the Moodle setup).

After the installation users simply go to http://localhost and voila!  The default page should contain the admin login details and information about how to change the password, etc.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Moodle Application for Windows

by Floyd Collins -
I will give it a go Martin... 
In reply to Floyd Collins

by Floyd Collins -

Well I have something completed here, I downloaded the package that Jan created and took a looksee at that. Good job Jan, as Martin I missed that and it would have saved me alot of searching forsure.

So here it is, Xampp and moodle all packaged together. My distribution is a bit bigger then Jan's. It is 33mb compressed and a 99mb install. My tests all worked well, and I even had my 15 year old install it on his computer to see if it was easy to install. He did well and got it up and running with only a few questions about the config page. If this is a go I will work on a config page that will build the config.php file from the users input. Like what directory did you install moodle in, stuff like that to build config. 

You can download it here. 

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Runs like a charm. I can't improve that, unless you would like to have the database pre-installed, but then you mis also the moodle licence, administrator password/profile setup, configpage etc

Changing the default path ruins it. Isn't it possible to let Moodle figure out it's own path (it does so in the errormessage when you make a wrong one

In reply to koen roggemans

by Floyd Collins -
Koen,
Yea changing the default path does ruin it, thats why I was thinking that we need someway to build that pesky config.php from user input. It would be cool if it did find its own path to moodle but even at the state of the errormessage you speak of you still need to go back in and edit the config.php file to fix it. Right now I am tring to make it smaller without breaking it or taking away the functions of Xampp to much.

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

"but even at the state of the errormessage you speak of you still need to go back in and edit the config.php file to fix it"

I never understood verry well why,  but since my programming skills are too low to mention, I assume that it can't be done otherwise.

Do you think the size is a problem? I was verry pleased to see it is that small

by Floyd Collins -
Well it can be done I am sure, but I dont know how. Yeah I wanted to make it as small as I can and well I got it a bit smaller, it is now 24mb download. You can still download the file from the above link, I also fixed some typos in the install page. sad opps

by Floyd Collins -
Martin,
Would you or one of the programers be able to create a web form like this one http://www.goohio.com/configidea.htm that would create the config.php file from user input. I am willing to give it a try but it would take me alot longer then you guys who know php real well.
What ya think ???

by W Page -
Hi Floyd,

This would be a great addition to
Moodle in general to include web installations.  This feature has been discussed before and I think it is on Martin's "to do" list.  Maybe your work will stimulate quicker implementation. wink smile

WP1

by Daryl Hawes -
The project that I am basing the blog module on does this - www.simplog.net.
I will port the simplog code over and post it here for you to tweak further.
Daryl
In reply to Daryl Hawes

by Daryl Hawes -
by the way - it only did half of what I wanted. it walked the user through an online config form and then it simply displayed the settings and asked the user to copy the settings to the config file.
I added in some file handling. Hope it helps.

by Daryl Hawes -
Attached is a zip file contraining script files for an online assisted install.
I've tested this through on my server but this sample code comes with all the typical warnings and disclaimers. Do not hold me responsible if it causes an orbiting shuttle to drop in your back yard.

Extract the zip file and place the contents in the root of your test moodle installation.

Contents:
install.php - after installing moodle visit install.php and it will walk you through setup. This file includes files from the include/ folder.
include/config-dist.php - a slightly edited version of config-dist. install.php reads this file in, replaces special markup and then spits it out to moodle/config.php
include/gpl.inc - displayed if the user does not agree to the gpl
include/LICENSE.inc - gpl license to agree to
include/step1.php - display the gpl and ask user to agree before proceeding
include/step2.php - display configuration variables to be edited. this file is need of prettying up smile
include/step3.php - if config.php was written notify the user. if not then display the config.php settings so the user can manually copy config-dist in place with their settings. continue from here on to admin/index.php to setup moodle admin settings.
In reply to Daryl Hawes

by Floyd Collins -
OH YES this is just what the doctor orderd. One small little bug, when Iam done making the config.php I click on cont, configuring moodle and I get this error
Moodle Installation

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: redirect() in C:\Xampp\htdocs\install.php on line 36

I think at this point the cont, configuring moodle could simply pop us back to http://localhost or what ever the url is for the web site.

But at any rate I think this will work great, just needs to be dressed up a bit.

One other quick bug to report, when it builds the config.php the text looks like this C:\\Xampp\\htdocs'; and should be C:\Xampp\htdocs

by Daryl Hawes -
Arg. I added that last second. Figures that redirect() is a moodle function and therefore requires an include.
I've replaced the redirect with a simple link now.
The link will take you to admin/index.php. After configuring your config.php file you should probably continue on and run through moodle administration for the first time (setup databases, etc), no?
In reply to Daryl Hawes

by Floyd Collins -
Yes thats right after the config.php is made, its off to the GPL and admin pages. 

by Floyd Collins -
All done up and ready for download. You can now install this package on a USB drive or any drive you wish. Just simply change the drive letter in the install window and follow the web instructions.
A BIG THANK YOU TO Daryl for the setup script for the config.php file.
Here is the link again.

let me know what you think !!!

by koen roggemans -
Great job you all. The configurationscript is really an improvement.How many new users are cought by the trap of a space or LF after the ?> of config.php? By integrating this in Moodle the problem would be solved.

by Floyd Collins -

Yes, it seems it would fix some issues for sure. I like the packages that everyone has come up with, and it was a lot of fun for me to put it together as well. 

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Good start!  I'm having some trouble getting this going on XP, probably because of having had many other PHP packages installed in the past ... I'll try again when I have some more time.

Suggestion for the text at the start of the installer:

Complete Moodle Installation Package

You are about to install all the free software you need to turn an ordinary computer into a Moodle server.  As well as the Moodle scripts, this installer will install Apache, MySQL, PHP, and Perl (bundled together as Xampp).

(If you already have a web server running, then you may not need all these other components.  Please see the Moodle documentation at http://moodle.org/ for installing Moodle onto an existing server.)

You can choose a destination drive for this software by typing the drive letter above.  If you don't choose C:\ you may need to manually create a writeable "moodledata" directory later on for Moodle to store course files.

by Floyd Collins -
Martin,
Thanks for checking it out, I changed the text to what you suggested and re uploaded the file to my server. I did notice on my XP box that if I had any other MySQL running that Xampp had issues with it. I ended the task of the running MySQL and Xampp worked fine.

by Floyd Collins -
I was also able to get the download file size to 17mb. Just thought I should point that out so no one thinks they did not get the right file when they download it. 

by Tim Allen -

Floyd, thanks so much for putting in the effort to develop this resource.  smile 

Is took me a lot of work to install EasyPHP, this would have saved me a lot of time and effort.  Next time I will try it for sure.

Thanks again for your contribution to the moodle community! 

Tim.

In reply to Tim Allen

by W Page -
Hi Floyd,

Just wanted to chime in "
Thanks" to you and all helpers.  I hope the install page makes it into the regular installation of Moodle as well.

WP1

by Jan Dierckx -

Thanks for the nice comments. Have you taken a look at the moodle install packages Arne has made (http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=5507&parent=43200) ?

He uses Uniserver which is very small. I mentioned earlier that Uniserver makes a virtual drive W: on your system and I thought this would be a disadvantage. In fact it solves the above issue: you can install it in whatever directory you want. If you install it in E:\Documents\Download\Uniserver\www\moodle  this directory gets mapped to a directory called www\moodle on a newly created virtual drive W:\

This means references to directories in config.php remain intact, even if you unpack the zipfile in another directory.

I made a new moodle-on-windows-package. It's 8 Mb (but I cheated, I only kept language packs en, de, nl, es and fr)

It can be downloaded at http://home.tiscali.be/llink/bestanden/Uniserver.zip 

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Floyd Collins -
Jan,
Nice work, only one bug there is no moodle database. I droped my database into the MySQL folder and it took off like a charm. Good work.

by Max Zúñiga -
Congratulations to :
Floyd Collins and Jan Dierckx:

you gentlemen are genius programmers,
Because  I have XP pro ,the Xammp .exe  files did not
work,but then I tried the uniserver  file and voila
now I have  moodle in my computer.
Thanks,friends.
Max Zuniga
In reply to Max Zúñiga

by David Lamotte -
Max,

When you say that XAMP didn't work on XP Pro - what went wrong ?

Because it works fine for me on XP Pro.

David

Ang: Re: Moodle Application for Windows

by Tormod Hansen -
To Floyd Collins

Thank you very much. I have just installed your Xanpp+Moodle package. I was very easy to install.

Tormod Hansen

Flavor preferences?

by Jill Kaminski -

Thank you Floyd, Jan, Daryl, and others!

I didn't see this thread last week when I installed Moodle at home. But the existing installation instructions for easyPHP et all made it very painless.

My question is: Are there any preferences from among those who know about which flavor (or flavour wink) of PHP/mySQL package is best? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Since I don't speak French, I know that easyPHP is probably won't be my first choice in the future (now that I have a choice!).

Thanks --

by Floyd Collins -

Well I have created a new distro of Xampp and Moodle, this time the installer is a bit more professional looking and the scripts to install and configure are a lot more professional and polished.

If you would please download this one and test it out for me. I need some feed back on this.

Your Can Download It Here

Thank You.

by elearning edu -
Hi Floyd,
I have downloaded and tested all the three releases of yours. Out of all the three, the current one is admittedly more professional looking. I did not encounter any difficulty in installation. The current installer bypasses one step i.e., set up xammp.bat. The installation takes more time than the previous releases. The installer screen has Moodle 1.3 twice (big as well as small). The moodle version is 1.3.1 and not 1.3. Similarly installer is configured to work with moodle in English. Option for other languages has to be thought of. These are minor things easily modifiable. Other than this the moodle installer enable the users to locally install the combiantion package of xampp and moodle.
Congrats for your timely release .
Prof.V.Nagarajan
In reply to elearning edu

by Floyd Collins -

Thanks for the feedback.

I fixed the cosmetic issues with the installer. As for the language well that will take some time but that is also on my list.

I also started a web page to make downloading easier then the forums. I placed Jan and my packages on the web page, if anyone creates a package and would like me to add a link just let me know.

The new download page is http://www.goohio.com/moodle 

by elearning edu -
Hi Floyd,
Happy to note good progress in this area of moodle development.  As you are aware, many moodlers are interested in a moodle combination package with Easy PHP.  Very recently another LMS  http://www.spaghettilearning.com/ developed a window installer package.  I have installed the package and found working without any problem.  I request you to examine the work to see whether a similar installer with Easy PHP will be created for Moodle.
Prof.V.Nagarajan.
In reply to elearning edu

by Floyd Collins -
Yeah it will be easy to do something like that now that I have a grip on how to package moodle. I was going to package EasyPHP next anyways, so thanks for the link I will check it out.

by Floyd Collins -

Moodle and EasyPHP all packaged up and ready for use.

- Faster Install
- 
Faster download (11MB)
- Easy Configuration
- Desktop shortcut
- 
Easy to uninstall

Give it a go and let me know what you guys think.

You can download it here.

by Bryan Williams -

Hi Floyd

Would you know off hand whether the Xampp install makes/changes any Windows Registry settings?

Thanks,
Bryan

In reply to Bryan Williams

by Floyd Collins -
Bryan,
Direct from Xampp web site

Step 2: Removing XAMPP

To uninstall XAMPP simply delete the package completely. There are no registry entries, no environment variables...  simply good, clean code!

So the answer is no

In fact none of the packages I have made will mess with the registry.

Hope this helps..
Floyd

by Floyd Collins -
Updated to Moodle 1.3.2+

Re: Moodle Application for Windows -- A Newbie Question

by Art Lader -
I have read this thread a couple of times, and this is what I seem to get out of it: If I install this package on my PC, it will magically turn into a Moodle-enabled web server and I will instantly have many Gigs of storage space. (The computer is connected to the Net via DSL and an Ethernet cable.)

And when I make my inevitable mistakes in administering this server, the community will probably try to help me set things right.

Do I understand this correctly?

Thanks,
Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Andrea Bicciolo -
Art, as far as I can understand this thread, I think you are correct. Only one warning if you intend to transform your PC into a publicy available webserver: by defalut PCs exposes some TCP  ports that can be easily discovered and used by external attacker with freely available network scanner. Be sure to secure those ports and use a firewall.
In reply to Art Lader

by W Page -
Hi Art!

I think Floyd's package page is intended primarily to make it easier for individuals who want to run a copy of Moodle
  • on their home computer to install it with an apache + PHP evironment or
  • have the ability to make Moodle portable so they can run it from multiple PCs or any PC computer via a portable USB copy.
  • on a server if they want to after an all in one installation.
This would definately add to the promotion of Moodle because it helps in decreasing the learning curve for the installation of Moodle and also leads to a working copy one can try out. It also encourages course creation because one does not even have to carry a laptop if one does not want to, you just need a USB fitted computer and it is easier to work on a home or local computer then always having to have to go online to see results or how a page looks.. (Hopefully soon, computers with ZIP drives will also be able to allow for Moodle portability.)

Moodlers already have a "Servers and Performance" forum which provides community help for server problems along with some of the other forums , for example, the "General Problems" and "Installation Problems" forums.

At least that is my understanding of the creation of the packages. Am I wrong??

WP1

In reply to Art Lader

by David Lamotte -
Art,

As usual, you are totally correct smile

The installer makes the job of getting a web server and database up and running very easy indeed. The only thing that would stop you using this for a full production server is security.

The install is based on XAMPP (http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html), and the site warns that the MySQL database doesn't have a password set and so on.

Nothing that a bit of 'hardening' (Computer Geek term for making more secure) wouldn't fix though.

Works well for me when I need to run up a moodle 'Engine' without affecting my computer in any way.

Enjoy ....

David
In reply to David Lamotte

by Floyd Collins -

Yes yes and ummm yes. The idea behind this whole package is to make it as easy as possible for users to get started with moodle. Once the new user has a grip of moodle and has the desire to continue using it, all that is needed is a little administration for security. I would like to say though that if you have a computer on the internet, be it a PC or a server you need to secure it.

One should note here that the documentation provided off the main moodle.org site shows how to install EasyPHP and Moodle on a windows computer but not how to secure it.

The documentation does not speak of security and maybe we need to address this and start some security documentation. I hope this clears it up for you Art. The packages are created for those who want to get started but are not tech savvy with configuring or simply like the all in one packages (like me).

by Art Lader -
Thanks to all who responded. I just wanted to be sure that I understood what I was reading. It seemed too good to be true, even for this fantastic online community.

I never should have doubted the power of Moodle and its true believers. wink

About security: I have a friend who has been hacked (not his Moodle site, though) repeatedly in the last few weeks. Based upon the hell he has been going through, I am pretty sure that I won't be setting up a server until I understand something about security.

On the other hand, I suspect that even a newbie could set up a secure server with enough support, so I maybe down the road, who knows? It is tempting!

-- Art

In reply to Art Lader

by W Page -
Hello All!

I "kinda" approached security in Moodle on another thread at,

Moodle & Authentication
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=9882

Would appreciate some input about it.

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Floyd Collins -

Good work WP,
Art
I have instructions on my site on how to secure the Moodle for Windows package if you decide to install it on a computer that is connected to the internet.

Its all about passwords and making them strong, really that is the biggest issue with internet users. As for exploits, Martin handles those as they arise.

You can check it out here.

by Wen Hao Chuang -

is the 1.3.2+ version the same with the latest stable release 1.3.3??

Also, I'm running the xampp version on Windows XP Pro. On this office PC, since I don't have the administrator's password (I'm just a power user) and the administrator disabled the command line feature, how could I run "mysqldump moodle > moodle-backup-2004-07-20.sql" on my Windows XP + Xampp ??

Thanks!

In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

by Floyd Collins -
Well 1.3.2+ is just that not 1.3.3.

I think what you are tiring to do is backup your MySQL database so you can safely update your moodle files. If I am correct then just follow these steps.

1. Download the latest stable release of moodle.
  2. Copy the moodle folder from the MySQL folder under Xampp to a safe place.
  3. Copy the config.php file to a safe place.
  4. If you have added any modules to moodle then copy the mod folder and any themes from the theme folder to a safe place.
  5. Unpack the new download and over right the old moodle files.
  6. Copy back the config.php and any modules or themes that you moved to a safe place.

Load up your browser and go to the admin page. This should upgrade moodles database. So after you are happy with everything you have done, just remove the folder that you copied from MySQL. Next copy the current moodle folder under MySQL to your safe place for a back up.

Hope this helps, I will get around to updating the downloads from my site this week. I have been busy installing Windows XP and Windows 2003 server in my lab at school But I will get to it.

Now if you want to run mysqldump. All you need to do is start - run - cmd. Change directory to C:\Xampp\mysql\bin . Once there you can run the command.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
would be interested in having a look at doing this for the mac (and perhaps Linux) as a 'user' install. No root access required. I can see some problems, but I've seen similar things done so it must be possible...
In reply to Howard Miller

by Floyd Collins -
You can create a tarball for this on a mac with OSX, or a disk image and mount it. As for windows, I am going to try a few differnt ideas. So if you would like to give mac a go I would be willing to help and test on that to. 
In reply to Howard Miller

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I'm not really too worried about not having root access on a Mac. I'm reading the docs again and will try and put together a complete Installer package. Watch this space!!

by koen roggemans -

Should be possible with the MSI-wrapper from Veritas.

1. Take a snapshot from a PC
  2. Install Easyphp, Moodle, run setup
  3. Take a second snapshot from the PC
  4. distribute the msi-file

Only disadvantage is that you get a msi-package for distribution with policyfiles with a windows 2000 server, wich means that the user can't choose anything (folders, icons, everything automatic without userintervence)

by Floyd Collins -

Koen,

If you want to give it a shot go for it. Right now I am not very successful with my install package. Two issues come up while trying to create a distribution package for windows.

1. If I just use the EasyPHP install folder, then the user never agrees to the license agreement that comes with EasyPHP.
    (So I have been looking for alternatives to EasyPHP no luck yet)
  1. The moodledata directory needs to have permissions set. My packaging tools do not handle permissions on files. 

The other option would be an install menu, where the user installs PHP then the next thing to install would be moodle then a script that creates the moodledata folder with the correct permissions. After all that the MySQL data folder is copied over with a starter database to replace the newly installed database file.

Any other suggestions, my well is running dry!!!

by Martin Dougiamas -
I don't know if EasyPHP is the best choice ... I tried to use the most recent version recently and was a bit shocked by how much crappier it was.  There seem to be a lot of other alternatives around (I just don't have time to look at them).

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html
  http://www.appservnetwork.com/
  http://miniserver.sourceforge.net/

by Jan Dierckx -

I used xampp for my easy-install-version. I really like that one. It doesn't put things in the registry. Everything (including your moodle database) gets installed in one folder that you can zip and take with you. It doesn't present a license, but includes all of them (it comes with a lot of modules, not all of them needed for moodle) in a separate directory.

I tried EasyPHP1-7. By default it installs in a directory called "easyphp1-7". The - included in a directory name does not seem to be a good idea. I had problems with it on XP Pro. Someone on the forum recommended renaming it.

Miniserver definitely makes the smallest install. I like the idea that it places all the files for the web (your directory www or htdocs or html) inside a (virtual) drive W:\. On the other hand people looking for an easy (all included) installation might be scared by a program that surprise installs a second hard drive in their computer without their permission big grin!

In fact, I'm not sure making an all-in-one moodle install is a good idea. I tried making mine (still needs a lot of manual tinkering though) to help a dutch teacher who wanted to try it out before convincing others in his company, but...

- installing moodle isn't all that difficult. Moodle was my first installation on a server ever and it went quite well.(Thanks for the great installation instructions approve!)

- installing it on your own computer the usual way (editing config.php, creating a database) is in fact a good way of preparing for the installation on a server and the administration of it (updates, backups, new modules) afterwards.  People will expect easy oneclick solutions for these things as well....

- I'm already having a hard time explaining to people you don't need to install anything on your computer to use Moodle, because the program (I am definitely not going to tell them that it is in fact a collection of scripts  wink) runs on a server. I think it might confuse people if they find a lot of install packages on the Moodle site.

Just my 2 cents!

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Martin Dougiamas -
> I think it might confuse people if they find a lot of install packages on the Moodle site.

True, it could, but we'd just have to make the download page very clear about which package was for what purpose.

Moodle as it is with the current installation will still be available, but the all-in-one package will still have a lot of uses for demos, trials etc ...

by elearning edu -
EasyPHP is not the fit case for windows installer.  I tried with the other packages you have suggested.  Already the choice of xampp for moodle is discussed here and a method for installing moodle to the local hard disk is suggested.  Similarly uniserver is also discussed here.  The appserver is mentioned  for the first time here for moodle installation.  The appserver is having certain additional add on facilities.  Particulr mention may be made of the availability of PHP Nuke, PostNuke and OSCommerce.  A combination package of moodle with post/phpnuke through PnMoodle may help to have a single database for authentication.  I am in favour of using appserver in combination with a suitable addon.  However, opinion differs.
Prof.V.Nagarajan

by Floyd Collins -
Great I have something to work with now, easyphp was a bit well overkill for what we are trying to do here. I will report back as soon as I have something. 

by koen roggemans -

In my option, the licence would also be a problem, since everything is installed automaticly (one click for everything). Your suggestion of installing Easyphp separate from Moodle is also possible, but less elegant of course, unless you can manage to get the moodleinstallation called from the Easyphp installation. Can you trigger another file to install from the installationmenu of Easyphp (or another package)?

Another problem using an external installationpackage is when you let users choose the installationfolder, A LOT will change in config.php, so you would have to be able to pass those path's to the installationpackage of Moodle

by Ray Lawrence -

I've just been looking at some Mambo related sites. A one click installer has been developed which is really slick. It appears to work in the manner described in this post by Jan Dierckx

download link http://www.mamboportal.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=27&func=fileinfo&parent=folder&filecatid=635

(8Mb)

In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Jan Dierckx -
Dokeos, the Leraning Environment based on Claroline also has a one click installer which uses a virtual drive W:\

Use "D.n.w.r"

by Dmitry Pupinin -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
There is a Russian project "D.n.w.r" (Denver). This is the batch of the programs for the developers. It is included Apache, Perl, PHP, MySQL. This packet has installator and automaticaly configured. Size of packet is less of 3 Mb. Moodle on this packet tested and worked!

In greater detail look at http://dklab.ru/chicken/web/base.html (russian).
Use http://babelfish.altavista.com for translation.

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Now that the 1.4 version is officially out, I wonder if Floyd or others could take the initiative to make a new package (especially with xampp) with PHP5 and Moodle 1.4?? Maybe a special "upgrade" version (from previous package) would be cool too! Thanks and we love you guys!

by Floyd Collins -

I am defiantly upgrading the windows packages this weekend that are on my site. I will at that time look at an upgrade option, not a bad idea by the way.

Floyd

by Jaime Alamo -
Xampp now is 1.4.6  (for windows)
Its Perl addon is 1.4.5

by the way, I never got the algebra filter working (tex is ok)

Has anybody got the algebra filter work in the winXP+xampp+perl environment?
In reply to Jaime Alamo

by Floyd Collins -
I have updated my site http://www.goohio.com/moodle
It includes the new Xampp

by Art Lader -

Floyd,

I do not yet have the nerve to take this step, but I very much appreciate the time and energy you have devoted to this project.

-- Art

In reply to Art Lader

by Ray Lawrence -
Go for it Art. There's nothing to lose! smile
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Timothy Takemoto -
Dear Floyd, Daryl and all who made this possible.

I saw posts fly past on this issue but presumed that moodle for windows would be really arcane and require 'checking ones dependences' etc. But this is, cyber goats, awesome. Thank you very much for all the work that must have gone into this.

By the way, is there a recommendation as to which is the best, XAmp or EasyPHP? Is the only advantage of the latter that it is smaller?

Tim
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Floyd Collins -
Thanks Tim,
Well I think that it is personnel preference as to which one is best. I like EasyPHP more so then Xampp yet Xampp has a lot of features in a small package. Yep its personnel preference. cool
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Art Lader -
> There's nothing to lose...

I don't know, Floyd. I have the impression that installing this server software is pretty easy. Maintaining a well-run, secure server seems like another matter, though. I am afraid that I would get hacked within a week!

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Ray Lawrence -

Art,

That was me throwing caution to the wind, not Floyd. I'd have to agree with your second point, if it's open to the outside world.

Ray

In reply to Art Lader

by Floyd Collins -

Art,
No way could I say you will be 100% safe befor anyone wants to flam what I am about to say please note, I have said NO ONE IS 100% safe on the net. But look at it this way what would a hacker gain from getting into you moodle site. ??? Also here is a link on how to set the password and username to something different for the packages I have on my site. http://goohio.com/moodle/important.htm

If you are behind a firewall or router that does not allow port 80 from the net, then running a local copy of moodle is no different then not. The firewall will not allow anything past it to your local computer. I truly think you would be just fine if you wanted to experiment with it. But then it comes down to what you feel comfortable with.

by Josep M. Fontana -
Well, first things first. Thanks to Floyd, Jan and all the others that have cooperated to make these Moodle Windows installation packs possible.

I've followed this discussion with great interest. It seems pretty clear to me (correct me if I'm wrong) that unless you want to make your local Moodle accessible from outside, you are already pretty safe if you have a firewall (and a router) installed. That is to say, the installation pack, whether it is the EasyPHP or the xamppp based, doesn't open any ports (especially port 80) to allow access to your computer from outside.

Am I right?

OK, if I'm right, now the question is: what would I have to do if I DO want to transform my computer into a Moodle server accessible from outside? One thing is very clear (and thanks Floyd for the intructions in http://goohio.com/moodle/important.htm) and that is that I have to setup a good password in order to secure the MySQL server. But what else do I have to do? I suppose I should simply find the way to tell my firewall (ZoneAlarm) to open port 80 for trafic from outside. Am I right? And if I have a router (which I do) also find the way to tell the router to allow access from port 80.
OK, unless I'm very mistaken, this seems fairly straightforward. What is very unclear to me is how would I or anybody else have access to my Moodle server in my computer from outside if I don't have any domain?

When I want to access to the main Moodle page I type http://moodle.org in my browser, when I want to access the Moodle I have for my courses in my university server, I type http://parles.upf.es/moodle , but what do I type if I want to access the Moodle I have setup at home?

I suppose I'm showing my ignorance about these matters, but if I tried to hide my ignorance I would never learn.

Thanks a lot for your cooperation in advance.

Josep M.
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

by Tony Hursh -
I suppose I should simply find the way to tell my firewall (ZoneAlarm) to open port 80 for trafic from outside. Am I right? And if I have a router (which I do) also find the way to tell the router to allow access from port 80.

Yep. My router calls this a "virtual server" and lets you map incoming connections to specific machines on the the LAN (even swapping ports if necessary).

but what do I type if I want to access the Moodle I have setup at home?

You can find the external IP address of your home machine (actually the external IP address of the router, which is an important distinction... the router's external IP address is what's visible from the outside) by looking in the router config, or (the quick and dirty way) by going to a site like http://whatismyip.com. Then, supposing your external IP address were 69.212.96.24, you could reach your site from a remote site by going to:

http://69.212.96.24

Note that this will only work properly from outside your LAN. Inside your LAN, your machine most likely has its own private IP address. You should use that internal address to get to it from another machine inside the LAN (you can usually find the internal address by looking at the network config for your machine).

Potential issues here:

Your router may issue a different private, internal IP address to your computer every time you turn it on. Generally you can override this in the router config and tell it to always use the same internal address for your machine.

A bigger problem is that your ISP may change your external IP address from time to time (especially if you turn the router or cable/DSL modem on and off). You'll need to keep on top of it.

To get around this problem, and also to make accessing your system a little more pleasant, you can use dynamic DNS. This service requires that you install a small client that connects to the dynamic DNS server every so often. When your IP address changes, it makes note of that fact. Another advantage of dynamic DNS is that your computer will get a human-friendly domain name, such as yourmachine.dyndns.org.

I used to use http://www.dyndns.org when I was doing this, though I haven't had to do it for a while (plenty of servers at work to tinker with nowadays). There are many similar services (googling on "dynamic DNS" will turn them up), but I had good luck with dyndns.org, and their service appears to still be free for home users.

That's the technical side. A non-technical issue is that your ISP may not allow you to run a web server. I can't help you with that one. smile

Hope this helps!

In reply to Tony Hursh

by Floyd Collins -
Good work Tony, the one thing I would like to add is a place that many of my students use for setting up their web servers at home http://www.no-ip.com
I hope this helps, Tony summed it up realy well. If you need one on one help you can always e-mail me.

Floyd
In reply to Tony Hursh

by Josep M. Fontana -
Tony and Floyd, thanks very much for your prompt and helpful responses. I haven't tried it yet but the directions seem pretty clear.

Actually, how does one go about adding a QA in the FAQ? I think with your last two responses we have a complete item concerning Moodle Windows application, its installation, security issues and the basics of setting up your own Moodle server.

Josep M.

Re: Moodle Application for Windows (problems?)

by Josep M. Fontana -
I seem to be having problems with my Moodle application for Windows (the one based on EasyPHP). Everything seemed to work fine with the installation (I didn't get error messages or anything like that). Yet, when I attempt to start Moodle I get the following message: "The connection was refused when attempting to contact localhost". Could anybody tell me why am I having this problem? From what I understood everything should be ready to work once the installation is over. After I click on the 'Moodle for Windows' icon, I should get a configuration screen to proceed with the configuration of the site, right?

When I look in the easyPHP window I see that MySql has a green sign (started) but Apache has a red sign (stopped).

Also, I was reading a tutorial on MySql that I found on the web and it says that I should be able to find a program called WinMySQLadmin that supposedly comes with the MySql package and helps you manage the MySql database, but it's nowhere to be seen.

I would be very appreciative of any help you can give me. I need to start putting my courses together soon and I don't have much more time to continue to fiddle with this (I'm sure if I could spend more time I would finally win the battle, though :-}).

Thanks very much in advance.

Josep M.

by Floyd Collins -

Josep,

I am not sure why Apache is not starting on load. Just simply click on Apache and it will start up the web server for you. Then reload your browser all should work fine. Make sure there is a check mark next to the line that reads Launch Servers when application starts.

The package does not come with WinMySQLadmin. I recommend that if you want to manage your sql database that you download the one here on moodle and place it in the proper directory on your computer.

Hope this help

Floyd  

by Josep M. Fontana -
Thanks for your rapid response, Floyd. But nope, a simple click on Apache does not start the web server. Actually every once in a while under the message "EasyPHP: Servers starting" I get  the message "Apache: Unexpected end of Apache!".

I've tried to start Apache independently of easyPHP by double clicking on apache.exe and I get the following message:
"fopen: No such file or directory
apache.exe: could not log pid to file c:/easyphp/apache/logs/httpd.pid
Note the errors or messages above, and press the <ESC> key to exit.  27..."
This is kind of weird, but then again anything related to servers will sound weird to me. Does that give you any clue as to what could be happening? As I said, I have a firewall installed on my computer but I've given easyPHP all the permisions that were requested.

I think I might try to install the other pack you prepared but I kind of wanted to go with easyPHP.

Josep M.

by Floyd Collins -
Yep something is wrong with the package, I will fix it and post here when I have it uploaded. Sorry !!! 

by Floyd Collins -
Ok all updated on my site now. Just remove the copy you installed and re download it from my site. Let me know if it all works well for you. Once more I am sorry about that, I uploaded the wrong file to my server. 

by Josep M. Fontana -
OK. Now everything seems to be working fine except that I've encountered one problem which I think is due to my ignorance about the general process of Moodle installation.

In the wizard that guides me through the installation (great job, by the way) I find a screen where it asks me for the name of my database (it comes with the name moodle as default. Since this is the name I assume is correct I just click next and then I get the following error message: "We could not connect to the database you specified. Please check your database settings."

I believe this is telling me that there is not such a database as 'moodle'. I have certainly not created it. Is your installation package supposed to have created it for me?

So that I wouldn't be more of a nuissance, I looked for MySQL tutorials and I followed instructions to try to fix the problem myself by creating a data base named 'moodle'. When I try to get in mySQL, however,I get the following error message: "ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'ODBC@localhost' (Using password: NO)".

While I'm at it, let me ask you also another question. Another problem I encountered in the installation was that the wizard told me I didn't have GD installed. Apparently your installation package it doesn't install it by default. When I tried to follow the nice instructions I got in the wizard I wasn't able to do fix the problem since any line referencing libgd.dll in my php.ini file (actually there is a php.ini in the php directory and another one in the apache directory).

Should I give up in this endeavor for now and come back when I've learned some mySQL basics? or is the problem unrelated to my obvious ignorance about this domain?

Again, thanks very much in advance.

Josep M.

by Floyd Collins -

Josep,

You are so close dont give up now!! The Moodle database is there, when you come to the screen that asks you to set the database preferences. Please put in user root with no password. Latter on when your ready for prime time on the net with your setup you can go to http://www.goohio.com/moodle and I give a step by step how to change the database password. Then you will just edit the config.php to reflect your new changes that is when your ready to have your site up on the internet.

No GD Lib is not on by default we wanted to keep this package as generic as we could. But it is easy as pie to turn on. Right click on blinking E, > Configuration > extensions > GD2.
So ignore the warning and turn that on after you get it setup.

by Josep M. Fontana -
OK, I'm making progress. I followed your instructions and succeeded in installing it but now my problem is that I cannot login. First I don't think I have an administrator username and password. I don't remember having setup one when I was installing moodle. Second when I try to create a new account I get a message that says "Tried to send you an e-mail but failed". I'm pretty sure I indicated the correct smtp address when I installed moodle. Also, when my firewall asked me if apache could send e-mail I said yes. So I'm stuck again. Further down the path, but stuck again.

Also, could you clarify your instructions concerning the installation of the GD lib? You say:
"Right click on blinking E, > Configuration > extensions > GD2." but I don't really know where I should do that. Where is the blinking E? Is this in the configuration menu once I have managed to login into Moodle?

Thank you for your patience. I hope this thread can help others that are trying to install Moodle locally (perhaps Art can use it when he finally decides to proceed with the installation on his computer wink).

Josep M.

by Ray Lawrence -
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Josep M. Fontana -
Thanks Ray,

Ah! The blinking E was easyPHP. Duh!

Not that the blinking E from easyPHP was not obvious in the lower right corner of my PC, but I failed to make the connection when Floyd mentioned it.

OK, so the GD problem is solved, I guess. Now I only need to be able to login, which doesn't seem to be an easy thing to do.

Josep M.

by Floyd Collins -
When you setup moodle it asked you for an administrator username and password the same page asked for your about your citiy ect. You the name and password that you enterd when you completed that page. 

by Josep M. Fontana -
Oops. So I did give it a password. The thing is with all the hurry and excitement to get it all ready I guess I didn't pay attention to what password I was assigning myself. I tried with the password I usually use but no success.

OK, can anybody tell me how to recover it? If the server is setup in my own computer, it should in principle be easy to find and edit the file where the administrator username and password are stored. That would be easier than having to reinstall everything. The place where it ocurred to me to look was config.php (both in the ...\www directory and the ...\www\admin directory) but I didn't find any reference to the password there.

Josep M.

by Josep M. Fontana -
"When you setup moodle it asked you for an administrator username and password the same page asked for your about your citiy ect. You the name and password that you enterd when you completed that page. "

I've installed the package now four or five times and I swear I don't really go through any page where it asks me about my city, etc during installation. The only two places where it asks me about a password are the place where you advised me to write 'root' as user and then leave the password blank and the other is one place related to smtp authentication. In no other place in the installation wizard do I get asked to introduce an administrator username and a password. The only place where I do get asked about a username, password, my city etc. is when I try to create a new account. But this is only after Moodle has already been installed I try to login. So it looks like I don't go through any form or page where I can sign in as administrator. Could this be the case? It does look a bit bizarre to me.

This should not be an issue related to the package you put together. I mean, the page where I should fill in the form asking me for an adminstrator username and a password is part of the Moodle wizard and should not be affected by anything you did to put together the package with the whole installation for windows, right? I am very confused.

Besides, no matter how many times I install it, when I try to create a new account (since I cannot enter as an administrator) I get the same message saying "Tried to send you an email but failed!".

This should really be very straightforward but it isn't.

Josep M.

by Ray Lawrence -
Hi Josep,

Stick with it, it'll be worth it.

Try these posts.

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=8779

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=9336

Ray

In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Josep M. Fontana -
Ray,
Thanks for your help. The posts you addressed me to seem to be related to cases of people who lost their admin passwords. Yet, as I was trying to explain in my previous post, that doesn't seem to be my case. Maybe I'm going crazy but I would swear that in the whole process of installation (I've already gone through it at least 5 times) I haven't introduced any admin username and password. At least I'm not aware of it.

I know this seems impossible since the installation pack must be prepared in such a way that at some point you are asked to introduce some username and password, but I haven't seen it. As Floyd was saying there should be a screen where it asks you about your city and e-mail address and that is the screen where you are supposed to setup your admin account, but I don't come across any such screen during the installation process (after deleting directories and repeating the whole process so many times I'm pretty sure about this by now).

Following the suggestions of the threads you recommended I've identified a file inside the mysql/data/moodle directory  called 'mdl_user.MYD'. Since I don't know how to open it I used a viewer I have and what I see is the  incomprehensible garble that I enclose below. I can see that there is some stuff that must be the hash they talk about in the message next to the word 'admin', so I guess there must be a username and password for the administrator but, as I said, I don't know how or when I introduced one smile If I post this file could anybody open it and tell me what the hell my username and password are?

"oÚÿ÷_ÿýmanualadmin21232f297a57a5a743894a0e4a801fc3AdminUserroot@localhost  enÆB@A»Úÿ÷Oÿ½manualguest084e0343a0486ff05530df6c705c8bb4
Guest Userroot@localhost  enÆBIThis user is a special user that allows read-only access to some courses.@AÞÿç]ôemailjosep1b36ea1c9b7a1c3ad668b8bb5df7963fJosep M.Fontanajosepm.fontana@upf.edu    BarcelonaESenÆB5@AFqOcyk111UbSt8L"

Sorry to bother you all but I don't know what else to do. As you say I'm sure it will be worth it but it is really frustrating sad.

Josep M.

by Floyd Collins -
Josep,
During the install do you recall a screen that looks like this.
useradmin.gif

This is the point where you put in a admin user account.

by Josep M. Fontana -
Nope! Now I have installed the EasyPHP/Moodle package for the sixth time and I can confirm that this screen you show in fact does not appear in the whole installation routine. I've checked the installation screens that I go through which I list here:

* Variables
* Current release information
* Upgrading data base
* Setting up block tables
* Setting up module tables
* Site settings (here is where I would have expected to see the request for the admin password, but there is nothing to that effect)

After I introduce the information for the Site settings, I go directly to a screen with the heading "Login to the site" where I find the two familiar colums: a) "Returning to this web site?" b) "Is this your first time here?"

Is it possible that something is missing in this installation package? Has anybody installed successfully the version that I downloaded? (remember that the first version I downloaded had some problems and then you fixed them and asked me to download the fixed version? This was just a couple of days ago, so I don't know whether more people have tested that particular version). This is a bizarre problem and unless there is a little bug in the installation package I don't understand why I don't get to see the screen whose image you show in your posting.

This is the screen I was expecting to see. The first time I sent a message concerning this problem I wasn't sure that I had not spaced out and I just didn't remember what password I had introduced. But now I am completely sure that I just don't go through that screen in the whole installation process.

Any clue as to what might be going on?

by Diane Yeager -

Hey, I Have the same problem. I was installing 1.3 on a server using fantastico. I was never asked for administrator password and now I cannot use the moodle site..   Any suggestions...

In reply to Diane Yeager

by Diane Yeager -
Sorry, I didn't see the information at the beginning of the install......sad

by Ray Lawrence -
As you've nothing in your moodle at the moment, you could try this. When finished point your browser at the directory where moodle is installed (probably something like c:/easyphp-17/moodle).

So, first find your way to phpMyAdmin. (you'll need to select your database name from the drop down box).

Drop table

In reply to Art Lader

Shields UP Art!!

by Ger Tielemans -

You feel secure now Art?

Just run your machine against the security tests of a firm like Sygate: http://scan.sygate.com/

Don't panic, just install one of the many free firewalls, for example the one that is hidden on the bottom of the same company:

http://smb.sygate.com/download_buy.htm

I like it because it allows me to monitor the ongoing processes. Before I start the server I put my shields up.

(Only drawback is that if you use Outlook as a client, it cannot pass this firewall. Outlook from a webbrowser is no problem)

(When you start easyphp or xxamp with moodle behind that shield, the firewall will ask you within minutes to allow visitor X access on your apache server... SAY NO and you are save...)

Real security:

• install your config.php's outside the webtree
  • use a username password login for the phpmyadmin that is inside easyphp and xxamp (Martin's phpmyadmin is secure inside Moodle
  • change the login for the database access from default UN "root" PW "" to a real combination.

(Maybe a native speaker can describe the step by step changes Art has to do?)

OR... can the install not generate random username/pasword combinations for all this? ....the user has to write them down during install. (Or reinstall again if he forgets that)

In reply to Ger Tielemans

Re: Shields UP Art!!

by Art Lader -
Hi, Ger,
If I were running Moodle for myself, I would give it a shot... And I really appreciate the advice you and the others have given me. But more and more teachers at my school are Moodling and I can't risk having all their work go down the drain if I make some silly mistake managing the server. That would be truly horrible.
I also like the idea that the money we spend at moodle.com goes to Martin. smile
Maybe I will try it at home...
Thanks,
Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Ger Tielemans -

I subscribe what you said with whole my heart: After several ooops-acts - of course killing the courses of my most critical users - I feel more and more the need to have an real admin doing these secure things for me smile

...and he should also say NO when I want to do a quick change or so...

(We suffer now a SPAM attack on our old servers because of some holes in some forgotten programs on the testserver, NOT MOODLE!!! .. so in the Dutch list you will miss our servers now and get the website of our school)

Running moodle on your laptop or other pc is only for try-out, demo or so.. (create a course, make a backup and beam it up to your real server. I did that a lot before I got glassfiber.)

Use for your real activity a server with a good backupsystem: that backupsystem will be the most expensive... You could consider hiring a place ona good coomercial server for that reason..

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Art Lader -
> You could consider
> hiring a place ona good
> coomercial server for
> that reason..

As long as I get to make the decision, we will be hosted at moodle.com. No question about that. (And if Martin decides to give it all up and become a monk, we'll still be hosted by a Moodle partner.)

-- Art

In reply to Art Lader

by Floyd Collins -
I dont blame you there Art. I think more so then running it as a production server it could benefit you as a demo or experimental server. Yet if you have no desire to do that then everything we have said is moot to you. At any rate if you ever decide to play around with it and need some help, just let us know.

by Art Lader -
Based upon the encouragement you all have given me here, I will, indeed, try to do this on my personal computer. I would very much like to learn a little about servers, but have never had the nerve to give it a shot before. Now I think I can at least get started and see where it leads. smile

I have to admit that I am a little nervous, though.

Thanks!

-- Art

by Wen Hao Chuang -

Hi, Floyd:

I just download the new package (the Xampp version) from your site, and during the installation (the install.php), is showed this error message in step 2:

We could not connect to the database you specified. Please check your database settings.

Type

mysql postgres7

Host Server

Database

User

Password

Tables prefix

I assume that I should just leave the User and the Password blank for the first time installation, right? I think maybe it's might be an Internet security issue as I just installed the new WIndows XP service pack 2 few days ago and after I did that, it seems to install a Microsoft version of Internet firewall or something.. is my problem related to this service pack? Thanks in advance...

by Floyd Collins -
Wen Hao Chuang
Nope you need to put in user: root and leave password blank. You are using mysql database and if you are only running it on your local network then you need localhost for the Host Server. SP2 is evil !!! but I dont that that is your issue with this.

Floyd

by Wen Hao Chuang -

Dear Floyd:

Thanks for your promptly reply. I tried to use the "root" username and leave the password blank, but still no go. I think it IS the SP2 that caused the problem. Should I maybe remove the SP2?? Any other way to get around it without removing the SP2? The error message still says "We could not connect to the database you specified. Please check your database settings." and I don't know why it can not connect to the database (I'm using localhost to run Moodle on my XP box locally for development purposes)...

Any tips or suggestions are highly appreciated. thanks!

by Floyd Collins -
Wen Hao Chuang
I still do not think the prob is on your end. Please uninstall moodle and redownload it from my site and install. I have recompliled the distro so lets see if that fixes your issue. Let me know

by Chris Tebb -
Hi all.

We will be producing a cd containing openBSD 3.6, apache, php and mysql.

the plan is to get a final year project student to do it, the cd will be bootable, and aside from a few questions, it will install everything you need, including moodle, then point the user to the new moodle admin page to setup moodle.

We tend to use OpenBSD rather than windows, as the security and performance is hugely superior.

We work with schools, and often they just give us old PII machines, so a windows server would cripple them, and then collapse in a heap of worms and trojans.

A windows installer would be great though, I regulary encounter people who have windows admin experience and no unix experience, it's a steep learning curve...

Chris.

by Timothy Takemoto -

First of all, would it be possible for their to be a separate forum for this "Moodle for Application Windows" discussion? My guess is that the popularity of Moodle for Windows will grow and grow.

For get the below. I downloaded the latest version (uploaded on 4th Oct) and in that Apache starts fine.

When I tried to installl the easy php version Apache would not start, or rather it stopped again almost immediately with a message saying "Apache: Unexpected end of Apache!". Resarting Apache gains the same message, after a while. Pressing the e in the task bar and attempting to see the logs yields an empty notebook window overlapped with an error saying "incorrect path"

I am using Moodle1.4+andEasyPHP from the 4th of september. Perhaps there have been improvements since then.

The reason why I wanted to use it was because the server was not working at my university. It seems to be functioning again now so I am not in a desperate rush to use Moodle on Windows. But it would be nice, since I expect it would be a lot faster.

I am using Japanese Windows 2000.

Often the fact that it is Japanese causes problems.

Tim
takemoto

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Timothy Takemoto -

I have Moodle for Windows working on my win2k home machine and I think it is the most spiffing, cool, useful, fabulous optional addition to the Moodle suite that I have had the pleasure to download. It is wonderful. Everyone should have one!

It is so fast! I recommend it to everyone. Editing an online Moodle installation can take several seconds for each click but editing a Moodle for Windows, each click takes effect instantaneously.

I will update my courses using my Moodle for Windows and then restore them to my Moodles online.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Tim
takemoto
Can I post to the general problems forum as well? This deserves the widest appeal.