Paypal requires students to create a new paypal account ... ?

Paypal requires students to create a new paypal account ... ?

by Dan Hall -
Number of replies: 4

I'm really new at Moodle and was interested in using the Paypal enrollment feature.  But when using that feature, students are taken to the Paypal page that requires signing up for a new account rather than just paying with a credit card.  I've ready several other responses herein that say this isn't true, so I was wondering if perhaps something's changed.

I downloaded 1.8.2+ or whatever the latest version is.

I used a dummy student and a paypal seller account.

Everything worked fine ... the course had the automatic enrollment feature and the button that said "click here to pay with Paypal and you'll be enrolled in minutes" or something to that effect.  But when I clicked the button, it took me to the paypal signup page.  I'd much rather it just go to a page that takes the money but doesn't require students to signup.  Anyone else notice this?  Is there a way to get what I'm looking for?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dan Hall

Re: Paypal requires students to create a new paypal account ... ?

by Manish Verma -
I have faced this problem with payment of some students when the amount was larger than a monthly limit. It appears that anyone can pay upto a monthly limit without being a member. However, to cross that limit one has to be a member. This monthly limit can vary from country to country I guess.
In reply to Manish Verma

by Dan Hall -

Well, when I tested the paypal module, the amount I used was $1.00, so I guess $1.00 is my monthly limit ... ? mixed

I did find out that the system did register me for the test course.  I received an e-mail saying "welcome to the course"; however, I was not redirected from Paypal back to the site.

So, I guess if one wants to use Paypal, then some instructions will have to be given to students:

1. PayPal is the preferred method of payment due to the protection and security it offers.

2. To pay by PayPal, you'll have to create a new PayPal account, which will charge $1.95 from your bank account for verification purposes (this money will later be deposited into your PayPal account).

3. Once you have completed PayPal's signup, you will have to wait several days to complete verification; however, you will notice that your payment will be accepted automatically.  You will receive an e-mail notifying you that you may now enter the course for which you just registered.  Once you check your e-mail, you will see a direct link back to the course.

4. Please, contact the administrator if you have any difficulties.  Manual registration may be necessary.

5. If you prefer, you may pay by check or money order to the following address.

---

Now the only problem is, where should these instructions exist?  It'd be nice to have them right there on the course page above the "click here to pay with PayPal" link, but I'm not sure how to edit that page.

In reply to Manish Verma

by Rambabu Dola -
Hi Manish,

Iam getting the same problem where moodle is asking to get register to paypal whenever someone tries to buy a course. ideally a person who is buying a course need not have to register to paypal.

Did u get any solution for this problem?
In reply to Rambabu Dola

by Doug Bell -

You may want to check. It may not be Moodle. I am fairly sure that Paypal keeps track of credit card usage and if your customer has used their credit card 3 times on paypal, Paypal wants them to register. Check this out with Paypal. If your customer has used that credit card number on paypal three times, whether with your courses or not, they require registration.

Check it out.