Number of replies: 13
I tried posting some code in a bug comment, using this format:

<pre><code>
some code...
    some more code...
    some other junk...
time for bed!
</code></pre>

My understanding of the <pre> tag is that all whitespace (including newlines) are preserved.  But posting this generates an extra newline between each existing line.  Is there a trick to doing this correctly?

--Brian
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brian Koontz

Re: Code formatting in bug tracker comment window

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Not that I know of ... it's probably better to make attachments instead.

The current bug tracker really sucks ... I really want to see it replaced by a Moodle module. There's a bug filed on this ... smile
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Ger Tielemans -
Xoops has Mantis 0.18.3 ( http://www.mantisbt.org/ )integrated as a module, is that better?
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Nah, we can do better than that. smile

I think the best plan at the moment is to extend the forum module to allow the teacher to attach a number of scales to a forum, which can be set in every discussion. The search/sort will then be able to take advantage of these.

This solves a lot of different problems at once, including some of the recent requests for phpBB-like features.

It also means that normal support threads here can be easily moved in and out of the forums dedicated for specific bug tracking.

by Gustav W Delius -
I like Martin's suggestion very much. Implement Martin's proposal for the scales (I would call them categories), a way to filter by category, plus the possibility to subscribe to single discussions and voila, we have a wonderful bug tracker as well as an even better forum module.

by Ger Tielemans -
  • One of the problems with forums is that these threads become so long.
  • A thread ends long after it came to its climax.
  • The content of most forums gets soon outdated: which old remark works still in version 1.3.1.plus? 
  • In a normal life discussion, you harvest together the results of a discussion.
  • Then you clean the floor, write the results of that discussion on the wall of your memory and start a new one..

Several attempst are made to give forums an extra dimension:

• Voting for the value of an answer (we do not use that)
  • Giving people stars or hats as quality markers (would a more democratic version work better? I have my doubts...)
  • Harvesting discussions into FAQs or new seeds for the group? (My old proposal for a split screen discussion like D3E, but then with a reseed option.)

Can you explain a little more how scales could help?

(I like scales, my wish is to have user-made scales everywhere in Moodle)

by Daryl Hawes -
Martin, I think I'd like to hear a bot more about how this would be implemented.
I like the idea of a forum being attached as a discussion regarding a bug, and possibly being able to move messages that are in different threads (but off topic) into the correct forum. However, wouldn't we still want a real database of bug specific information such as Reporter, Created, Priority, Severity, OS, Closed in Version, Summary, Status, Resolution, Assigned To, Dependencies, etc etc

What I'm thinking is that the bug itself would be entered in a given interface and then a forum discussion thread as we know it would be attached to it to track comments and interest in the bug.

Would you clarify a bit what you're envisioning for this?
In reply to Daryl Hawes

Bug Tracker using Moodle forums

by Martin Dougiamas -
Sure, thanks for asking. smile

Here's my current vision for this based on using these forums for the past few years ...

The idea is to build something that not only works for moodle.org, but is also generically useful for people who want to categorise and sort discussions of all types in an educational context.

Think of the interface as the current forum interface with a few extra things added. This means we can take advantage of all the great things we have in forums already like HTML editor, filters, multimedia, attachments etc etc.

Here on moodle.org I would keep a number of forums, one per Moodle module (as now). So we'll have one forum for Assignment bugs/issues, one forum for Wiki bugs /issues, etc.

Each forum can have a number of classification Scales applied. For moodle.org we don't need all the ones that the current bug tracker provides. I think the following will be enough to make a useful working environment and reduce confusion:

Found in: 1.3, 1.3.1, 1.4, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 ...
Fixed in: 1.3, 1.3.1, 1.4, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 ...
Type: Minor problem, Major problem, Minor Feature, Major Feature
Status: New, Not needed, Under discussion, Being worked on, Needs testing, Finished

Now imagine the following changes to the current forum interface:

1) The discussion view will have these additions:
  • a menu or button so that teachers can change the current "moderator" of that discussion. This will be very useful in educational environments. To reduce admin load there can be an auto-setting per forum that makes the person who started the discussion into the default moderator.
  • the classification scales appearing as menus along the top. This can be changed by moderators+teachers only or by everyone (depending on a forum setting).
  • a button for subscription/unsubscription to the current discussion

2) The forum view will be improved with the following additions:
  • Each discussion row contains the above classification columns, the moderator name and also the total ratings for the forum (in addition to the ones that we have already like date, replies etc). The ratings column could be used like votes.
  • The titles of each column are clickable so that you can sort by any column, ascending and descending.
  • A search form at the top of the forum display lets you restrict the displayed discussion to any subset of the classifications (eg Show me all the "major problems" that are "new", or, show me all the "major features" being moderated by "Martin Dougiamas")
  • The forum listing will also (finally) have proper paging in the listing. wink

Finally, a usage scenario. Imagine someone posts a post somewhere in a discussion with a good idea about the forums (eg this post wink). I can then:
  • break off that post into a new discussion (using the feature Gustav added recently)
  • move the new discussion into the Forum forum
  • Classify it as "Major Feature", "Under discussion" for version "2.0".
  • Assign myself or someone else as the moderator (person responsible for taking care of it).

If this existed, things could be sooo beautifully organised around here. tongueout

Re: Bug Tracker using Moodle forums

by Ger Tielemans -

Fantastic, I like agian the elegance

.. and maybe an option for the moderator to archive the discussion to clean the current field, but stiil available for search by a user or an search engine: "Didn't we diiscuss this alredy a year ago?" 

Re: Bug Tracker using Moodle forums

by Martin Dougiamas -
If we have proper paging why not just keep all the old ones around?  You won't see them normally anyway ...

by W Page -
Hi All!

Mantis seems very very nice. Martin what do you think about it?
WP1

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
That would be great. I'm using Mantis as bugtracker for the netwerk right now, but a module in Moodle woud e a lot easier for my users. Can I vote already for an import-for -Mantis-feature? big grin
In reply to koen roggemans

by Ger Tielemans -

Koen, I look at http://myhelpdesk.sourceforge.net/ as a simple candidate for a local users/supporters help ticket system, did you evaluate that on too? If so, what is your opinion?

I am looking for simplicity and in this product Ilike the FAQ view,with clustering of questions on category.

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

I haven't seen it yet. I've looked at it for 5 minutes. It seems usable, but I miss some realy bugtracker things, like how urgent it is, the possibility to make additional fields, filtering options on open, closed, urgent, ...

I must say that we use our bugtracker mostly for communication between the members of the technical crew. Some teachers use it too, but the errors reported by students, we enter ourselves.

I do agree Mantis is too complicated for younger students