No activity reports for completed HotPot quizzes

No activity reports for completed HotPot quizzes

by Josep M. Fontana -
Number of replies: 2
I'm having a strange problem. When I click on the HotPot link in the activities block, I see a list of all the HotPot quizzes in the course with the number of attempts for each quiz. However, when I click on the 'view reports for X users' link, I get a screen that says "There are no users yet". This in spite of the fact that the link says that there have been a number of attempts by users and that I know for a fact that my students have completed those quizzes.

Can anybody help me understand what is going on?

Also, when I prepare a HotPot activity in Moodle and I want to choose the option 'Moodle forum' for 'Student feedback:' I cannot get a list of the available forums. The menu is greyed out. I've found a workaround which is to choose 'Web page' and introduce the URL for the specific forum I want, but that's not the way this should work, is it?

Josep M.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

Re: No activity reports for completed HotPot quizzes

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Josep,
I think "There are no users" means there are no users which match the selection conditions for the report. Does the message change if you change the report 's "Content" conditions (at the top of the report page) to "All users" and "All attempts"?

When you choose the "Moodle forum" for the feedback, then the list of forums is presented not to the teacher on the HotPot settings page but to the student when the quiz is run. This is because forums can be added and deleted from the course, so there is a possibility that if the teacher chooses a forum on the settings page, that forum might not be available later, or other forums might become available.

It seems that you would like the teacher to choose the forum on the add/edit a HotPot activity page. I can see that would be useful, so we should think about adding that to the new HotPot module.

best regards
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

Re: No activity reports for completed HotPot quizzes

by Josep M. Fontana -
>I think "There are no users" means there are no users which match the
>selection conditions for the report. Does the message change if you change
>the report 's "Content" conditions (at the top of the report page) to "All users"
>and "All attempts"?

OK, sorry, I had not mentioned this. I had selected "All users" and then clicked on "continue" but nothing happened. This has been fixed, however. Our administrator made some changes that solved this and other problems that we thought were unrelated. Thanks.

>When you choose the "Moodle forum" for the feedback, then the list of
>forums is presented not to the teacher on the HotPot settings page but to the
>student when the quiz is run. This is because forums can be added and
>deleted from the course, so there is a possibility that if the teacher chooses
>a forum on the settings page, that forum might not be available later, or
> other forums might become available.

Ah, ok. I had not been using this for quite a while and I didn't remember. I do remember discussing this feature (ways for the students to give feedback or ask questions about the exercise in general) with you but I didn't remember what you had decided for the forums.

>It seems that you would like the teacher to choose the forum on the
>add/edit a HotPot activity page. I can see that would be useful, so we should
>think about adding that to the new HotPot module.

Yes, I think this would be useful. The way I envisioned this was to create a special forum only devoted to comment on issues related to a particular quiz. So having the selection when the teacher adds/edits a HotPot activity would be the ideal thing because the student would be addressed directly to the most adequate forum.

So, how are the plans for the new HotPot module going? I've been sort of disconnected from the Moodle forums for quite a while (only posting desperate messages when I've had problems). So, I have missed a lot of the postings in this and other forums and I'm not as aware about what is going on as I used to be. Do you have a page with the road map for this module? I'd like to know what is in store for HotPot.

Thanks for your help.

Josep M.