Setting Front Page Edit Capability

Setting Front Page Edit Capability

by geok lou -
Number of replies: 4

Teacher's default access includes capability to edit the Front Page.

Is there a way to configure so that only site Administrator can edit the front page? This means teachers should not see the "Turn editing on" button on the front page. When they go to Course Category and lower levels, they can edit.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to geok lou

Re: Setting Front Page Edit Capability

by John Isner -
A user who has been assigned the Teacher role "globally" (Site administration -> Users -> Permissions -> Assign system roles) can edit any course, including the Front page course. Assigning a role at system level is almost always a bad idea. If you want user X to be a Teacher in all "normal" courses, assign the Teacher role to X in a category context. Go to Site administration -> Courses -> Add/edit courses and click the category (by default, there is only one category named Miscellaneous). Then click the Assign roles link and assign the Teacher role to user X .
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John Isner

New problem after removing teachers' Front Page Edit Capability

by geok lou -

Removing teachers' right to edit front page also prohibits them from viewing and entering data into a form on the front page. The form has to be on the front page because it is generic and not attached to any course. I have already turned on the "Available" and "Viewing" dates".

1. I tried to override roles in Editing Database for Teachers in 2 functions: "View entries" and "Write entries". They need to at least enter data.

Teachers still cannot view this form. Error message:

" Sorry, but you do not currently have permissions to do that (View entries)"

2. Also, may I hide certain tabs in the form? The only field I want to show to teachers now is "Add  Entry", when it has data, then they are permitted to view.

In reply to geok lou

Re: New problem after removing teachers' Front Page Edit Capability

by Matt Campbell -
Give the teachers the student role to the front page, and they should be able to view the database and enter data. Then, update the settings for the database to what you need - possibly a minimum # of entries, or require approval = yes, from what I'm reading.

Thanks,
Matt
In reply to Matt Campbell

Re: New problem after removing teachers' Front Page Edit Capability

by geok lou -

Thanks, Matt. It worked.

Actually, I am wondering about the more logical sequence to assign roles for viewing, interacting and maintenance. Since each user can be assigned a different role in different context, I need to plan role-assignment that not just make sense for now, but also to minimize needs to “un-wind”, and to avoid situation of confusing changing relationships.

Say, an account holder can have different access right as assigned in:

1. Entrance: Admin > Front page/ site > Front page roles

2. Content: Admin > Courses > Add/edit Courses > Assign roles

3. People: Admin > User > Accounts > User role

What is a better order of assigning roles? People, entrance, course; entrance, people, content; or ...?

I think if we follow the hierarchy, System is the parent of both front page/site and user. There are more levels in content section. This reply of yours helps:

Instead of creating 4 different roles, I would create 4 different categories. (Admin->Courses->Add/Edit Courses) Place the appropriate courses in each category.

Then, for each category, click assign roles, and then click on students and assign the appropriate users into the category. 

UNQUOTE

p.s. I find overriding can confuse relation, so I prefer to work on the ground rules first and use overriding in special situations.

---------

4. Supplement & enhancement: Resources and activities (e.g., database, forums) involve special contextual requirements

Q: I am still figuring out how the resources and activities are listed for view and navigate. Are they listed in one page, or filtered to displayed in sub pages where only assigned users can view? I have not set up the Global Search function.

One small question: does JS work in Moodle? I failed to make a roll-over graphic effect work.