MSIE breaking nolink fix maybe (moodle 1.2.1)

Re: MSIE breaking nolink fix maybe (moodle 1.2.1)

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Michael!

I am also confronted to the nuisance of MSIE's over-zealous "XHTML conversion" of the <nolink> </nolink> tags to <nolink /></nolink />.

The hack you suggest in your  10 June 2004 message does work but:

1. it is rather annoying to have to convert by hand all the previously entered <nolink> </nolink> tags to <nolink /></nolink />;
  2. it has the unwelcome side effect of making all Glossary entry words appear as hyperlinks (this is because the Glossary entries are automatically provided with a <nolink> Entry</nolink> tag by Moodle, which is now no longer functional because of the hack!

I have found another workaround which does not entail editing any of the Moodle core files. Here it is. If you have to use the Moodle Richtext HTML editor for entering text (for example when entering a new Glossary entry):

1. Type your text in the WYSIWYG mode.
  2. Go to HTML Source mode
  3. type the <nolink></nolink> tags where you want them
  4. DO NOT GO BACK to  WYSIWYG mode (if you do, MSIE will rewrite your <nolink> tags)
  5. Click on "Save Changes"... et voila!
  6. Unfortunately, however, if you have to Edit that Glossary definition later on, you will find when switching to WYSIWYG mode that your nolink tags have been rewritten (by MSIE), and you'll have to set them right once more...

This whole business is rather a nuisance anyway, and one can avoid it by switching from MSIE to a Mozilla browser.

On another note, I agree with Françoise Blin that Moodle is overdoing the automatic linking. There are a number of cases where in fact I would rather like NOLINK to be the default mode and to have to decide myself which words - or which parts of my documents - would be hyperlinked, rather than the reverse. One is never happy!

All the best,

Joseph_R