Glossary Entry Grading Problem

Glossary Entry Grading Problem

by Jason Hollowell -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
I've just discovered a problem with the glossary grading system that I can't seem to figure out.

I have created a vocabulary glossary

Students are required to add 4 words to the glossary

Each word is worth one point

The total number of points (one point for each entry) should be 4 if the students wants to get 100% on this 'assignment'.

When I go to the gradebook, it only shows one point for each student even though the students have entered 4 different entries in the glossary and I have rated (graded) each entry giving them one point.

Why isn't the aggregate score (4 points) getting sent to the gradebook?

This doesn't seem like the way it should be functioning....or maybe I'm completely missing something....?

Jason

Using Moodle 1.8.3+
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jason Hollowell

Re: Glossary Entry Grading Problem

by Lesli Smith -
Hi, Jason. I had a similar misunderstanding with the way ratings worked when I first started using Moodle and set up my first forums. Ratings for forums and glossaries work on an averaging principle, not an aggregate principle. For the forums, this means you need to track user replies separately within the forum (if you require more than one reply to a discussion) or through user profiles. For glossaries, this means you need to track through the show entries by author option and tally them separately in a new graded column that you set up in the grade book. See attached pic. For these types of assignments, I usually find that the tab option in Firefox is handy so that I can flip between the two screens pretty easily and quickly. If your Moodle grade book is your only grade book, then I would turn off the rating in the glossary so that there is no extra point showing up in the grade book.

You could also set ratings at 4 and only rate one of the entries once the four have been entered, but that might confuse students. "Why did I get a four on this one and nothing on the others?" It would also then be imperative that you remember it is averaged, so if you allow late entries and rate the late entry at four after having already given the student a 3, it will show up as a 3.5 in the grade book. Hope this is making sense. Good luck!
Attachment Picture_13.png
In reply to Lesli Smith

Re: Glossary Entry Grading Problem

by Jason Hollowell -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Leslie,

Thanks so much. I was starting to suspect something along these lines but was hoping that maybe I was just missing something. Guess not smile

I'll have to experiment with the grade book and add a new graded item. Never done that before but it looks fairly straightforward.

Thanks again.

Jason