Rev 1.3.1 Incompability with Redhat Fedora Core 2 ?

Rev 1.3.1 Incompability with Redhat Fedora Core 2 ?

by Arne Gylseth -
Number of replies: 2

It seems like there is a incompability problem when installing on Redhat Fedora Core 2.

The installation freezes in the latest phase and there is a message, something like :  

Activity since Wednesday, 9 June 2004, 10:37 PM
Full report of recent activity...

The bug have been reported in this forum, and the way around it should be to make a temararely renaming of the folder /moodle/blocks/recent_activity/ and then to rename it back to the orginal name after the installation has completed.

This temporarely renaming apeared to help in such a way that the instalation did proceed to it's end. I then renamed the directory back to its orginal name.

Things seems to be working OK until I try to go back to the Administration panel. The orgianl error message then come back.

Then renamed the directory back to its temporarely name during the installation. (xrecent_activity).

I then optained this error message:

Block xrecent_activity: /var/www/html/moodle/blocks/xrecent_activity/block_xrecent_activity.php was not readable

while actually the administration panel comes up under this message. 

As this is a test intallation, I have made the installation with these configuration parameters:

$CFG->wwwroot = 'http://10.0.0.2/moodle';

$CFG->dirroot = '/var/www/html/moodle';

$CFG->dataroot = '/var/www/html/moodle/upload';

I think this configuration has used to work, normally and before.

I first tried the "stable" 1.3.1 installation. As the mentioned problem occoured, I then downloaded the 1.3.1+

The error from the 1.3.1 intallation were exactely repeated on the 1.3.1+ installation with no change.

Conclusion: There is a incompability problem between Moodle 1.3.1 and Fedora Core 2 ?? This incompability problem is related to the recent activity module.

I saw that this problem has been mentioned before, but there is not yet an answer, is it ??

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=8330

Best reg Arne G.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Arne Gylseth

Re: Rev 1.3.1 Incompability with Redhat Fedora Core 2 ?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
A few people have seen this problem, and there seem to be a number of different fixes.

First thing to try is to increase the allowed memory size in php.ini, there's an FAQ entry that explains how to do this.

You could always just leave recent activity renamed - at least you will get working for now. I posted this as a bug myself (I tracked it down on somebody elses system) but I don't have the problem so its hard to fix/test.
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Rev 1.3.1 Incompability with Redhat Fedora Core 2 ?

by Arne Gylseth -

Thanks !

It apeared as far as I can se (untill now) the one and only problem were the parameters in the /etc/php.ini file.

I replaced the memory limit to 24 MB, (and the post_max_sise to 24 MB, the upload_max_filesize to 24 MB).

After changing these parameters I rebooted the httpd server and then deleted the database and all of the files from the first installation.

Then made a new fresh Moodle 1.3.1+ installation from the bottom again.

No error messages this time !

I think there seems to be a genereal rule:

IF YOU WANT TO INSTALL MOODLE 1.3.1 ON A REDHAT FEDORA 2 YOU WILL FIRST HAVE TO RECONFIGURE THE /ETC/PHP.INI FILE AND THEN RESTART THE HTTPD SO THE CHANGES WILL TAKE EFFECT.

If not the installation will not work.

Best reg Arne G.