Remote login issue

Remote login issue

by Biju Mani -
Number of replies: 4
We are trying to install moodle on a windows 2003 server hosted by rackspace. we asked them to disable IIS to release port 80 and installed Apache, PHP, MySQL and Moodle. The installation was successful and we were able to create users and one dummy course while STILL LOGGED INTO SERVER DIRECTLY. when we try to access Moodle from a remote location, we are getting the screen but all frames are broken. the calender is out of place, login icon appears on left side ( we are still on default theme). We tried to login using Firefox to eliminate browser based issues but the problem persisted. Why are we not getting Moodle from remote location?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Biju Mani

Re: Remote login issue

by Paul Holden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Moodle Workplace team Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
In your config.php file (in the root of your Moodle install), what value does the $CFG->wwwroot variable have? It needs to be a web accessible IP or Domain rather than the local address.
In reply to Paul Holden

by Biju Mani -
Paul, will verify and get back. Thanks for the prompt reply
In reply to Paul Holden

by steve kissner -
I am having the same issue. When I change the ip address to the outside ip address, then when I try to access localy it seems to take a long time, and everything on the page is out of place.
In reply to steve kissner

by Philip Grant -
The most elegant way I found to get around this was to buy a domain name and in your config.php file (in the root of your Moodle install) enter the name as the $CFG->wwwroot variable. Then point this domain name to the static IP of our gateway and port forwards port 80 to the moodle server then on our internal dns tell them to resolve that domain as the internal network ip of the server. This ensures that we dont use bandwidth by users going out on one internet connection and then reentering the network on another to gain access to a local service. For testing you can pretend to have a domain name by altering the host file of your work station.