Windows server: MySQL Administrator and XAMPP on Windows?

Windows server: MySQL Administrator and XAMPP on Windows?

by Anthony Borrow -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I was trying to help someone by suggesting that they install MySQL Administrator on a Windows based Moodle server to do backups. They inherited an installation which used XAMPP for the Moodle install. It seems, from what I can tell, that MySQL Administrator is not finding the correct my.cnf file because the user reports being able to login to the database; however, they are not able to control the service despite running on localhost. I was curious if others working with Windows based machines have had a similar experience and what is needed to help MySQL Administrator figure out where things are. The Moodle site seems to work fine, as does phpMyAdmin. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Peace - Anthony
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Anthony Borrow

Re: Windows server: MySQL Administrator and XAMPP on Windows?

by Albert Ramsbottom -
Hi

What where the errors then?

I had problems with MySql administrator and found out that it was McAfee virus scan

Cheers
In reply to Albert Ramsbottom

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Paul - Thanks for the reply. Exploring McAfee as a possible source of the problem would be interesting. It seemed to me that it was simply not finding or using an incorrect my.cnf file yet it seemed to be attaching to the database. Of course I am going off of what was reported. Perhaps Larry can provide further details. Peace - Anthony

by Larry Renfroe -

Many thanks to Anthony for his help.  Here is the current problem:

When I start MySQL Administrator-connection user@localhost:3306 I get the following error message:

"Either the server service or the configuration file could not be found. Startup variables and service section are therefore disabled."

Note: MySQL Service shows that it is started when I go under computer management on a Win2003 server (standard edition).

Once I click OK, I get the the administrator panel and the server information is correct. However, the Service Control and Startup Variables are "grayed" out and not available.

Under Catalog I see the Database entries.

Thanks,

Larry

by Mark Tailor -

My first experience in MySQL administration was really XAMPP. All I needed was imporing and exporting MySQL database (it was sites' creating). Then the number of functions I needed increased and XAMPP couldn't satisfy all ny demands any more. And I found the great software for MySQL management - dbforge Studio for MySQL. It has ALL the functions you ever will need and intuitive and user friendly interface! Free trial available! Try it!

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Anthony,

In Windows, that file is usually named my.ini.

The admin should use the Windows search box (accesible via the Start menu, or by pressing F3 at the Windows Explorer window --which can be opened with Win-E).

To access the service window, which lists all services installed, press Win-R (this opens the Run dialog box) and then enter: services.msc

The Xampp control panel is usually accessible at the System tray (where the Windows clock is --right, lower corner).