Quiz auto linking . . .becomes auto "cheating"

Quiz auto linking . . .becomes auto "cheating"

by Mary Kaplan -
Number of replies: 9

I am starting to experiment with glossaries, and have all sorts of resources on each site. With the new automatic linking, I am a bit concerned for my quizzes that I had been occasionally counting for a grade. I have noticed automatic linking to a resource when I use the word which defines the resource in an introduction to a question in the quiz. Even a not-too-savvy student could click the link and go to the resource to review before continuing on the quiz!

I absolutely believe in the automatic linking, but maybe there should be a way to disable it within the quiz, to avoid having an automatic link to a "cheat". Or have I missed something? Is there a way to avoid this issue?

--Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Kaplan

Re: Quiz auto linking . . .becomes auto "cheating"

by Tom Murdock -
Here's the trick for these instances. cool

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tom Murdock

by Ger Tielemans -

Works for existing words in the glossary when you do the visual check..

But if you have an old quizz you already checked and after that a new word is entered in the gloss...

Would be more secure to have the option to switch it off for the scope of that quizz

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Should the autolinking work in quizes ? Not for me!
In reply to Tom Murdock

by Mary Kaplan -

Tom and others,

I tried that "trick" and I am not sure why, but for me sometimes it works and sometimes not. Probably operator error. It also works to add spaces between letters like this:  t r i c k . I tried this <nolink> for several of my elements within resources and it worked sometimes and sometimes not. I will check it with Art today and see if we can figure out why.

But really, for quizzes, it would be nice to be able to disable the linking function. Unless your quizzes are just practice, (which is also valuable and useful) this is a pretty important issue, I think.

In reply to Mary Kaplan

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Mary Kaplan,

I share your concern. But I think that Moodle is designed with a view to quizzes being things for "just practice" and self assessment.

I have a special header for quizes, as described here --
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=3982

If I add <nolink> into that header, I wonder if I will need a </nolink> tag at the bottom of the quiz? I tried <nolink> in the quiz header but it did not work. I guess that </nolink> is essential?

Tim 

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Ger Tielemans -

No, Moodle must do what you want, no excuse for the designer.

You want ugly old fashioned quizzes?  Nothing wrong with that.

The game we play is to reflect on the question: "Is there really no other way to reach this goal then with these damned quizzes?" As long as your honoust answer on this question for your organisation is NO, go ahead with 100% triple secured quizzes for assessment.

We - at least I - did not have to sign a paper where I promised to use Moodle in the only correct way.

(By the way, the only correct way is the way it helps us in our organsations.)

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Mary Kaplan -

I guess this sort of made it sound more serious than it really is...I am really REALLY extremely happy with moodle and all the things it is allowing me to provide my students. I cannot complain about the smallest thing, really. If I ever put comments in here it is to help in some way, either to see if there is something I have done wrong, or to find out whether there is some way to do things that I have not found yet.

I will continue to occasionally use quizzes as actual assessment although not everyone at our location does, and I only use them in the computer lab, with students under my nose, and I am fairly certain that they are not cheating--I make a reasonable effort to prevent this. Of course, if the students are determined to cheat, the bottom line is that they are cheating themselves, and it is too bad for them. They will not prevent me from providing this wonderful resource for the ones who appreciate it.

--Mary

In reply to Mary Kaplan

by Ger Tielemans -

No misunderstanding: we will use quizzes more and more in a special way. When students work in projects, it is very handy to develop what we call "personal maintanance lines" where they refresh or broaden their knowledge of subjects, connected with their projects. Quizz can be the finalising self-check after books, lessons and other nice modules.   

Teachers love the quickscan analysing tools for the simple M.C.'s:

• simple statistics to differentiate between easy and difficult questions (next year adaptiv testing?)
  • and complex statistics for a quick quality check (item/response) "from our man in Kyoto"
In reply to Mary Kaplan

by Art Lader -
>Of course, if the students are determined
>to cheat, the bottom line is that they are
>cheating themselves, and it is too bad for
>them. They will not prevent me from providing
>this wonderful resource for the ones who
>appreciate it.

Amen!

-- Art