Opening a Word-document in a not-embeded Word

Opening a Word-document in a not-embeded Word

by koen roggemans -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

The title said it all.

Is it possible to distribute Word-documents and open them with word in stead of word, embeded in a browser window?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to koen roggemans

Re: Opening a Word-document in a not-embeded Word

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It's an IE "feature" to do this ... if you use another browser then Word will be launched seperately as a helper application.

There is an option or registry setting to turn off the Office/IE copulation but I've forgotten what it was.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Great, Microsofties, always there to help you where you don't want that gemengd gevoel

Don't bother about the registrykey, I'm feeling already quite comfortable in that jungle.dood

by Andrea Bicciolo -

Koen, you may also want to check the use of a flash player embedded in a html page. With the flash "getURL" command, you can open a file on the client computer. Of course you need to know the full path of the word .exe file.

Client computer will be warned by browser about the local file launch attempt. This is something someone may dislike.

by Jean-Pierre Pawlak -
Did you try changing the folder options?
Attachment mapopties.jpg
In reply to Jean-Pierre Pawlak

by koen roggemans -
I 'll need the registry key to be able to distribute this beheaviour on the whole network, but by changing this setting I can search the difference in the registry before and after the checkbox filled in (using winstall from Veritas). That way I can provide a loginscript or policy with msi-file to distribute it to a set of users or computers. And that will be the goal (deadline 1 september big grin )