Metacourse... do metacourse synchronize to "child" courses

Metacourse... do metacourse synchronize to "child" courses

by Vicki Dunnam -
Number of replies: 2
I am trying to understand Metacourses.   I need to create Metacourses for faculty. When I create the Metacourse and assign the "child" courses... that works great.  Reading the forum.... I understand that I can link to files in the "metacourse" but when I open the "child" course and want to link to a file in the metacourse, I cannot see the Metacourse to get the files.  Any suggestions?  In other LMS systems, when you create metacourses, they automatically "sync" to the child courses.  Does it do this in Moodle? 
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Vicki Dunnam

Re: Metacourse... do metacourse synchronize to "child" courses

by Amanda Hefner -

Here's a solution I use in our Moodle:

Using the Side Block," you can add any resources and activities to the block, then hide the block. This hides the items on the front page, while still allowing them to be accessed in other ways, such as hyperlinking from other modules or courses.

Because the Child course participants are automatically "enrolled" in Metacourse, there should not be any login required to access resources/activities across the courses.

In Metacourse:

1. Add a "Side Block" to the Metacourse front page
  2. Add any type of Resources or Activities you wish to share to Child courses (files in directory, URLs, forums, assignments, etc.)
  3. Hide the Side block (NOT the resources)
  4. Right-click and Copy the resource hyperlink

In Child Course:

1. Add a Resource: Link to File or Website
    (you will be linking to the URL of the resource in the other course, not a file from this course dir)
  2. Paste the copied hyperlink from Metacourse resource
  3. Save

The hyperlink in the Child course should now take you to the resource in the Metacourse. 

I hope that is helpful.  smile