New NWiki release 2008011401

New NWiki release 2008011401

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Number of replies: 7

Hi there,

today Pigui has put together a new release of NWiki for Moodle 1.8 that we hope that will be the last one on 1.8.

This version fixes several reported bugs and cleans the code a little (the serious work on this department will come in the 1.9 release tougth) and comes with a few key features:

• The NWiki editor now can edit sections, like mediawiki does.
  • The concurrence issues have been fixed and the locks work at the section level.
  • Creole compliance in the NWiki markup, now features the Mediawiki markup and the creole one.

This features are Key to have a full featured Wiki engine nowadays, we are cleaning come features for the 1.9 release not ready yet sad. We will hold on a litlle more this release, because we prefer to be cautious. However the code is in the moodle contrib CVS (Is pretty unstable due to version merging and other adventures we will not discuss here).

I know that rigth no the documentation on NWiki is a mess. We have gone througth several sites and is difficult to track down whats ab0ut NWiki in Moodle. That's why we bougth a domanin ()dfwikilabs.org) and I've started a blog on the NWiki project. The download site will be cleaned up and all the documentation on NWiki use will go (slowly but it will) to the docs.moodle.org (I'll talk to the documentation steward about how we do this.)

So that's it.

Cheers

Ludo

Links:

Nwe
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

Re: New NWiki release 2008011401

by Xiangen Hu -
Thanks! I love the section edit. There is one problem I do not know how to solve: After I post my change, it prevent me editing again. Something like this showing on screen:

--------------------------------------------

This page is being edited by Xiangen Hu (you).

It has begun to edit at Monday, 14 January 2008, 09:55 PM and is still beeing edited as of Monday, 14 January 2008, 09:55 PM.

You need to wait till editing has finished before you can edit this page.

--------------------------------------------

Can I solve this? or this is something coming with the nwiki.

Thanks for the hard work!
In reply to Xiangen Hu

by Jordi Piguillem -
Oopps, that's a big bug....

I'm going to fix it right now.

DFWikiTeam, Pigui.
In reply to Xiangen Hu

by Gonzalo Serrano -
Be sure to not have the edit page opened in another window or tab, otherwise it will be blocked as the message says. Anyway, if you edit a page or section and then save the content, the lock will be removed.

Furthermore, if you were editing that page and something unexpected happened (i.e browser/pc/network crashes) or you leave the editing page without pressing page links (i.e you close the window/tab directly) then the lock expires after 2 minutes (by default) so you can edit that page again after that time.

Is that any case?

Bye.
In reply to Gonzalo Serrano

by Xiangen Hu -
Yes, It works if you "save" the page. But if you "view" the page, it will block.
In reply to Xiangen Hu

by Gonzalo Serrano -
I think i don't understand what's the problem.

You can view a page that is locked or not locked. What you can't do is edit a page that is locked (because you or someone else is already editing the page or a section of it).

So if you edit a page it gets locked. Then, if you don't save the changes nor press the link to the main page, it remains locked because the unlock hasn't succeeded, but only for 2 minutes as maximum.

So, is your page still blocked? If is so, what steps did u do to get to that situation?

Thanks.

In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

by Andie Turner -

If I already have NWiki installed, can this be installed on top of the old one? Or do I need to remove all wiki files before??

In reply to Andie Turner

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
If you are upgrading NWiki you don't need to remove the files, cause all the files will be replaced. This will not happen in 1.9 cause some features are being removed (like timelines) and soe others are being rewritten (like grades for the gradebook)
Cheers
L.