How can I creat a language pack for a non-unicode support language?

How can I creat a language pack for a non-unicode support language?

by Emin Sulaiman -
Number of replies: 2
I'm trying to creat a Uyghur language pack of Moodle.The Uyghurs is a Turkic-speaking ethnic group ,with a population about ten millions and inhabiting in the area of Central Asia and west part of China.The official writing system of Uyghurs is Arabic-Script Uyghur,made up 8 vowels and 24constants,either borrowed or adapted from Arabic and Farsi alphabets.
The problem is no Unicode Uyghur standars until now and we need to use Microsoft WEFT(Web Embedding Fonts Tool) to make a eot file in Uyghur webpages and modifying USP10.DLL to input the Uyghur fonts.
Please help me.
Thank you very much.
Y.Sulaiman
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Emin Sulaiman

Re: How can I creat a language pack for a non-unicode support language?

by Ray Taylor -
I have some experience here having produced fonts and keyboard input methods for Inuktitut language (Inuit).

From what I can tell you should be able to do this since Uyghur uses glyphs that already exist in Unicode.

If your issue is INPUT rather than DISPLAY, I agree that standardization can be a problem for your users. Unfortunately the only solution here is to provide the input method (e.g. keyboard layout) to your users.

These resources are available but you will have to make your own arrangements to distribute them. Take a look at this site.

Cheers!
In reply to Ray Taylor

回复: Re: How can I creat a language pack for a non-unicode support language?

by Emin Sulaiman -

There are some INPUT method solutions that we are using now and it could be still using. The Uyghur letters already exist in the area of Arabic and Farsi code in Unicode, and I am just considering how to DISPLAY them in moodle.The Uyghurs are commonly used UKIJ fonts which still rejected by Unicode organization.So I think the INPUT is no problem until now.

I think is it just enough to use Microsoft WEFT to creat a eot file and put it in lang/uy_utf8 and translate the strings?

Thank you.