Why is moodle so weak on chat ?

Why is moodle so weak on chat ?

by Anil Sharma -
Number of replies: 3
Except for the KeepAlive feature of chat, nothing works out of the box with moodle chat. The 'Stream' option in Admin->module->activities->chat->settings
is completely unexplainable. It says "Using Stream scales much better (similar to the chatd method) but may not be supported by your server." ..well what kind of servers support it ? how do i get my linux server to support it ? There is no documentation or suggestions anywhere.

The chat daemon is a mystery in itself. In some verions of moodle, it works fine, in some it doesnt work at all.Configuring it requires exceptional skills.

A $5 flashchat from www.tufat.com along with the source code integrates into moodle and is much better than the moodle chat !!

Why hasnt the community looked at improving the chat ? Ajax is all over moodle, except in chat where it should be. Forget about voice or video chat, the basic chat in moodle is so slow and unreliable, it should be completely scrapped and replaced with something better.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Anil Sharma

Re: Why is moodle so weak on chat ?

by John Blaser -
I couldn't agree more. I am using Moodle 1.8.3 and can't get more than 2-3 students into a chat without it crashing. It really is too bad as it basically eliminates a whole range of learning options in my courses. I have no programming skills and only know how to add/remove modules so I am basically stuck.
In reply to Anil Sharma

Re: Why is moodle so weak on chat ?

by andrea malanima -

hi anil

you suggest flashchat but i read somewhere you were interesting in x7 chat before. i begin thinking about integrating x7? any reason from you for giving up right now and pass to another chat solution (i.e. flashchat)?

am