Issue 53: Encyclopedia database preset

by Arthus Erea -
Number of replies: 5
Please review my database preset for encyclopedias. Thanks! smile
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Arthus Erea

Re: Issue 53: Encyclopedia database preset

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Arthus,

Thanks for designing an encyclopedia-style database preset. It looks really good, especially the entry title under list view linking to the article in single view. approve

I noticed one small problem though - the preset includes the database introduction text "This is a test for the dicitonary database preset." I guess the inclusion of database introduction text is a bug and so I've reported it in the tracker - MDL-12861. In the meantime, perhaps you can create another preset with better introduction text. wink

I also have a couple of suggestions for improvement:
  1. Reduce the size of the textarea field, as it's currently rather large.
  2. Edit the list template so that the list of entries is nicely centred in the page.
Best wishes and thanks for participating in GHOP. smile
In reply to Helen Foster

by Arthus Erea -
Thanks for your comments.

I have updated the preset to not include intro text. (Which ensures it does not overwrite existing intro text). I had also reduced the textarea field (though Moodle doesn't always play nice with this) and centered the entry list.
In reply to Arthus Erea

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Arthus,

Thanks for improving your preset. The entry list looks much better centred and of course it's better that the introduction text is no longer overwritten. smile

I've added a link to this discussion in the presets documentation so that teachers know about your encyclopedia preset for download. (Hopefully we'll come up with a better database preset storage solution in the future. wink)

I'm also going to move this discussion to the database module forum so that database module users know about your preset.

Well done for successfully completing GHOP task 53. smile
In reply to Helen Foster

by Arthus Erea -
Thanks! smile

If more people have suggestions, I'll be happy to add them.
In reply to Arthus Erea

by Helen Foster -
Hi Arthus,

How about adding "See also" and "External links" fields, as suggested by Penny on the issue page?