Upgrade error 1.2.1 -> 1.3.1

Upgrade error 1.2.1 -> 1.3.1

by Scott Casley -
Number of replies: 5
Hi,

It may be something simple - I hope - but I'm getting the error below when upgrading from 1.2.1 to 1.3 (also happened with 1.3.1). It hangs the whole upgrade. I've noted this error elsewhere in the forums but there doesn't seem to be any solution.

I have added the SCORM module prior to doing the upgrade but otherwise it's going from a 1.2.1 to 1.3 upgrade.

It gets to this point and then hangs.

Any ideas/help appreciated. Thanks.

Scott

moodle_error.jpg
Attachment moodle_error.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Scott Casley

Re: Upgrade error 1.2.1 -> 1.3.1

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Weird ... did you ever try to add blocks in the past?

Anyhow, just delete the field "blockinfo" from the "mdl_course" table (using phpmyadmin for example) then re-run the upgrade.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Scott Casley -
It is weird.

Anyway, I actually tried your suggestion while waiting for a reply. The upgrade begins - creating the blockinfo field - Success - but then hangs on a modinfo update operation.

I thought it may have been the fact that I've added the SCORM module to 1.2.1 prior to the upgrade but as far as I can tell  it shouldn't affect  blockinfo or modinfo.

Oh well, I'll wait until the semester break to do  the upgrade. I thought I could get it done over this weekend as the last one went smoothly.

Again, if anyone has any ideas...

Scott

In reply to Scott Casley

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I've upgraded about 100 sites from 1.2.1 to 1.3.x but never seen this before ... something is not right in your files there ...
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Leandro Gelasi -
I got the same error on elearning.uniroma1.it, a standard 1.2.1 installation.

After the error, I reload the page, login and went to admin page. The update process continued and ended., but I couldn't reach the admin page anymore.
I had to downgrade to 1.2.1.

LG
In reply to Scott Casley

by Scott Casley -
I've worked out the problem. It wasn't the blocks or SCORM causing the problem it was the PHP  memory limit as described here - with solution. I would suggest if anyone is getting an upgrade hanging then this might be the problem. I wasn't getting any error messages other than the one above. At the bottom of the page from the screenshot above the upgrade would just hang.

Short answer:

Put  .htaccess file in the main directory of your Moodle installation with the line:

php_value memory_limit "16MB"

I hope this helps someone else - it's been bugging me for weeks.

Scott