Please Help - Course Format Selection Not Saving

Please Help - Course Format Selection Not Saving

by Jennifer Sheppard -
Number of replies: 4
Hi Everyone,

I have created a new course format by duplicating the "topics format" and renaming it. At this point, that is all I have done. When I go to the Course Settings > Format drop down menu, I see my new format, formatnewformat and have selected and submitted this option.

For some reason, when I view the course page, it is not similar at all to the topics format (the format I originally duplicated). When I go back into the Course Settings to see what is going on, I realize that my formatnewformat is not selected. My course settings keeps reverting to the LAMS course format on its own. Why isn't my selection being saved???

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I have done quite a bit of searching already and cannot seem to find a solution.

Thanks,
Jennifer
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jennifer Sheppard

Re: Please Help - Course Format Selection Not Saving

by Ger Tielemans -
Use a short name for your new format?
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Jennifer Sheppard -

Hi Ger,

Thank you so much for your help!!!  It is greatly appreciated!!!

I have tried renaming the format in the language file by copying the "Topics format" line and giving it a custom name.  This name did show up in my drop down list, and I am able to select it, but the selection does not stick.  I thought maybe this contributed to my issue, so I deleted my line in the file, deleted my copy of the topics format folder, and started from scratch.  I copied the topics format folder again, tried to select this folder from the Course Settings without renaming the new format, and this still did not work. 

It seems as though whenever I create or add a custom format and select it in Course Settings, when I go back into Course settings, the top item in the drop down list is selected (which alphabetically, it is the Lams format).

Thanks again and again for any help you can provide,
Jennifer

In reply to Jennifer Sheppard

by Ger Tielemans -

question 1: are other changes accepted in the setting page ?

TIP 1: add some strings to the moodle.php in your language dir, like:

$string['formattopicsTIP'] = 'Topics + TIPS format';
$string['nametopicsTIP'] = 'Topics + TIPS';

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Kori Neill -

Hi Ger,

I am having the same issue. Since I upgraded my Moodle to 1.8, I am no longer able to duplicate an old format type to create a new one... it always goes to the default format - in my case the weeks format.

I am able to change the format name in the settings drop down menu by either creating a course/format/lang folder or by changing the Moodle.php file - both work.

Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated.